DC is getting duplicate FileLists !!(of the same user !??)

Use this forum to flesh out your feature request before you enter it in <a href="http://dcpp.net/bugzilla/">Bugzilla</a>.

Moderator: Moderators

NetMaster

DC is getting duplicate FileLists !!(of the same user !??)

Post by NetMaster » 2006-06-14 05:13

Hi all! I am using ver 0.691 of DC++. I was looking today within the "FileLists" folders of DC on my hard drive and noticed that there were some groups of 4-5 "duplicate filelists" among the hundrends of filelists in there...

Those files as we all know have the naming format of: "username.VeryLongCapitalizedAlphaNumericString.xml.bz2"
and the ones I am talking about had exactly the same filesize with each other, the same user name but different the second part of their names (the long unique string). I assume that this is the hub ID of the user.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I would suggest that a future version of DC++ checks (somehow) if this particular user's filelist has already been downloaded (under its hubID different name) before it actually gets it again (i.e. there are filelists of 0.5-1.0 MB or even larger that need a lot of time to be downloaded, specially under the slower 512kbps connections). Unless there is a reason for keeping that feature as it is (which I can't think of right now...) Many thanks :)

Todi
Forum Moderator

Post by Todi » 2006-06-14 05:51

I think the whole point of the recent user changes have been to make users more unique, i.e if they're on different hubs they're to be considered different users regardless of same nickname (and same filesize on filelist). You can't just assume it's the same one based on filelsize, you'd have to compare a hash of the filelist or something.

poy

Post by poy » 2006-06-14 10:35

in your case, maybe the users had 2 or more clients running at the same time, but showing the same share. this would explain their different CIDs. because, if one user is in two hubs at the same time with the same client, i think his CID is the same on these 2 hubs... unless i'm wrong :? :?:

ullner
Forum Moderator

Post by ullner » 2006-06-14 11:25

They'll be different (assuming it is NMDC hubs).

NetMaster

Post by NetMaster » 2006-06-14 11:55

Thank you very much for your replies guys... :)
The filelists I was talking about were actually identical (same filesize to the byte, same username), I have even opened them and checked their contents, exactly the same again.
I'm only mentioning this regarding what Todi wrote and I agree that a hash comparison of the filelists by DC++ would be the only way if those filelists were to be filtered/stopped from being re-downloaded.

poy

Post by poy » 2006-06-14 17:30

ullner wrote:They'll be different (assuming it is NMDC hubs).
thanks for the information. so i believe the only way to solve NetMaster's problem is to wait for more ADC hubs :)

lordadmira

Post by lordadmira » 2006-07-12 10:23

I've had massive multiple downloads of my file list too. People getting it dozens of times. It's gotten so bad that when I see one of these people getting it over and over again, they go in the firewall.

LA
Anata ga baka da! Repent!