Pause automatic alternate search after manual search/connect

Use this forum to flesh out your feature request before you enter it in <a href="http://dcpp.net/bugzilla/">Bugzilla</a>.

Moderator: Moderators

RotJ

Pause automatic alternate search after manual search/connect

Post by RotJ » 2006-05-14 18:27

I'm not sure how the timer on the "Automatically search for alternative download locations" is set, but I often get the minimum search interval message on some hubs the first time I search after connecting and waiting for the userlist to finish loading because the client performed an automatic search before mine. So, if I can remember to, I turn automatic search off when I'm actively searching in DC and then turn it back on when I plan on leaving it minimized for a long time.

The feature I'm proposing is the option to pause the automatic search for x number of minutes after a hub is first joined or after a manual search is performed. Or, if not this, at least have an on-screen toggle for automatic search that doesn't take the 5 clicks it currently does using the Settings menu.

sumosi2

Post by sumosi2 » 2006-06-07 15:38

I already have problems with the search for alternative download sources option.. It usually takes time to start up and then you have to do it manually by going to download qeue, then select the file, right-click and choose search for alternative downloads or something like that!

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: Pause automatic alternate search after manual search/con

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-06-08 19:35

RotJ wrote:The feature I'm proposing is the option to pause the automatic search for x number of minutes after a hub is first joined or after a manual search is performed.
DC++ has code that goes the other way: it prevents a manual search too close after an automatic search. It sounds like your hubs have their search interval significantly higher than this limit.

Having the frequency of automatic searches limited by how long it has been since you joined a hub seems like an artificial dependency. I wonder if there isn't a better way to try to solve your problem. (It may not be solvable, since there's no way for a NMDC client to know how long the search interval is on a given hub.)

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-06-08 19:36

sumosi2 wrote:I already have problems with the search for alternative download sources option.. It usually takes time to start up and then you have to do it manually by going to download qeue, then select the file, right-click and choose search for alternative downloads or something like that!
It kinda sounds like you have the exact opposite problem of the original poster.

RotJ

Re: Pause automatic alternate search after manual search/con

Post by RotJ » 2006-06-10 13:08

GargoyleMT wrote:
RotJ wrote:The feature I'm proposing is the option to pause the automatic search for x number of minutes after a hub is first joined or after a manual search is performed.
DC++ has code that goes the other way: it prevents a manual search too close after an automatic search. It sounds like your hubs have their search interval significantly higher than this limit.

Having the frequency of automatic searches limited by how long it has been since you joined a hub seems like an artificial dependency. I wonder if there isn't a better way to try to solve your problem. (It may not be solvable, since there's no way for a NMDC client to know how long the search interval is on a given hub.)
This is only an issue when I'm going through the public hublist looking for a hard-to-find file. About one in three hubs with more than 1000 users have search interval limits set higher than 80 seconds. According to this, "If a file is autosearched for and there are any (more than 0) online sources, the next autosearch will be performed 2 minutes later. If the file doesn't got a source, the next autosearch will be performed 5 minutes later." So if this timer hits 2 or 5 right after I join one of these hubs, I have to wait 80+ seconds to make my search. My idea was to reset this timer, or roll it back one minute, after a join.

ullner
Forum Moderator

Post by ullner » 2006-06-10 20:28

That's rather crazy. It's not DC++ that sets the "80 second" search interval. It's the hub. I personally don't like the client to do something out of the ordinary because I've joined a hub...