Feature in need of Love: The Search

Use this forum to flesh out your feature request before you enter it in <a href="http://dcpp.net/bugzilla/">Bugzilla</a>.

Moderator: Moderators

reallyjoel

Feature in need of Love: The Search

Post by reallyjoel » 2006-06-07 13:35

The two most needed additions to DC++ is IMO

1, A "Stop searching" button in case you made too broad a search and DC++ hangs 'till it's done (which could be minutes). Also some good threading here would help, so you could actually do other stuff while it searches.

and

2, A filter function for the search result window so you could filter out stuff you don't want to see. This is different from just redefining your search criterias, firstly you often don't want the client to go through the whole saerch again, which takes both bandwidth and time, secondly it could be able to filter on more properties.

Im very suprised neither has come yet, seems it's been a long time since something usefull was added to DC++, and these things seem fairly obvious.

Maybe someone knows of a good clean DC++-based client that has these additions? Preferably not too cluttered with bloat though..

Todi
Forum Moderator

Post by Todi » 2006-06-07 15:21

1. Stopping a search is impossible. Once it has been sent out, you'll get all the responses no matter what you do.

2. There is already a filter function in the search window. But yes, it would be nice if it could filter the already available results. I'm sure that's already in bugzilla thou.. have you looked?

reallyjoel

Post by reallyjoel » 2006-06-07 18:24

It's true that when a search request is sent, it's sent, nothing you can do about that, but then atleast there should be some work done on the threading so the client doesn't stop responding while recieving the answers.

ullner
Forum Moderator

Post by ullner » 2006-06-08 03:18

Be more accurate in your search. Use '-' before words and they will be excluded.

reallyjoel

Post by reallyjoel » 2006-06-08 08:19

You have completely missed the point!
You don't know what you're gonna find before you search for it. I often make a search, get alot of anserws, and just want to try and filter out something to see if that leeds me in the right direction, and if it doesnt, redefine the filter untill I do find what I'm looking for.

And as I said, the filter could be able to filter more properties than the search can.. I think the search should only match filename, and the filter could do everything else. Then you would almost never need to redefine a search and waste bandwidth on the network.

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2006-06-08 10:11

We are looking forward to a patch
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-06-08 19:46

The threading isn't really the problem, it's the updating of the listview, which does have to be done only in one thread. (It can be improved, but it helps to know what to blame, sometimes.)

You're looking for a filter like Shareaza has instead of the one on search terms. It isn't described as such, but Bug 741 is for a different search filter.

Itanium

Post by Itanium » 2006-06-09 09:46

ullner wrote:Be more accurate in your search. Use '-' before words and they will be excluded.
Now that you make mention at this... What we have to do if we wanna search for -string ? Its possible? Is there some kind of modifier to be able to perform that kind of search?

Thx
Trance... my way of life

ullner
Forum Moderator

Post by ullner » 2006-06-09 15:54

No. Why would you want to search for '-' anyway?

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-06-09 17:11

Itanium wrote:What we have to do if we wanna search for -string ? Its possible? Is there some kind of modifier to be able to perform that kind of search?
There are a number of characters that are stripped from searches, and "-" has been one for a while. Here is the list:

Code: Select all

static const char* badChars = "$|.[]()-_+";
Filtering didn't introduce a new problem in that respect. :)

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2006-06-10 00:42

The point is the following. In the past,

Code: Select all

static const char* badChars = "$|.[]()-_+";
was removed from searches due to the fact that dc++ wanted to find as many files as possible with the same content when doing auto-searches (except $| which are used as protocol-delimiters). In that time TTH did not exist so this was in the interest of the user. Personly i wouldn't use "-" to filter out. But thats me (espescialy since its used in local filtering which is anoying to me) ;)
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.