A few practical proposals

Use this forum to flesh out your feature request before you enter it in <a href="http://dcpp.net/bugzilla/">Bugzilla</a>.

Moderator: Moderators

Serban

A few practical proposals

Post by Serban » 2006-04-27 08:19

1. I would like to be able to ignore certain users. Getting too much spam on dc++ lately, both from individuals and from the hub bots and they don't appear just when I join but periodically.

2. Make the hubs stack on more than 2 rows... I'm on 20+ hubs at the same time and there's almost no room there for the search window tab, even less for the filelist(s).

3. In the favourite users window add a "connect to hub" button when you right click on a user there... that way you can automatically join the hub he was last seen on if you want.

4. If you have an incomplete download in a folder, you should be able to change it's download destination for when the download is complete. I had a download going to a partition E: but after I reinstalled windows due to some trouble the drive got assigned the letter F: and now there is no drive E: for the download to go to. What will happend? The download is still pointing to a non-existant partition.

5. Is it somehow possible to make bitrate visible for audio files? That would be so wonderful... I'm tired of downloading stuff and then finding out it's 56kbps afterwards... worse than bad radio quality.

Would be great to know what everyone else thinks about these things.

:wink:

ullner
Forum Moderator

Re: A few practical proposals

Post by ullner » 2006-04-27 08:28

Serban wrote:1. I would like to be able to ignore certain users. Getting too much spam on dc++ lately, both from individuals and from the hub bots and they don't appear just when I join but periodically.
Already requested in the bugzilla.
Serban wrote:2. Make the hubs stack on more than 2 rows... I'm on 20+ hubs at the same time and there's almost no room there for the search window tab, even less for the filelist(s).
Eh, Settings -> Experts only -> Max tab rows.
Serban wrote:3. In the favourite users window add a "connect to hub" button when you right click on a user there... that way you can automatically join the hub he was last seen on if you want.
I believe this also has been requested in the bugzilla.
Serban wrote:4. If you have an incomplete download in a folder, you should be able to change it's download destination for when the download is complete.
Open queue.xml and change the destination and the 'Unfinished downloads directory' option under Settings -> Downloads.

Serban

Post by Serban » 2006-04-27 08:40

Thanks for the reply ullner. If the features are requested in Bugzilla does it mean they will eventually get implemented? Or did I read something about voting? If so, how do I do it? Also, for the proposal nr. 4... there should be an easier way to do it imho... and from dc++ not in notepad...

So anyway, what about nr. 5?

:)

Pothead

Post by Pothead » 2006-04-27 08:45

Voting just gets the status changed i think. If you want it done, Submit a patch (or wait for someone else to), then hope arne likes the idea And the patch.

I believe 5 has been asked many times before. Search the forum. :)

Quattro

Post by Quattro » 2006-04-27 10:10

bitrate would require either the person who shares the music to place it in the filename or it should be detected by DC++ and send with the search... meaning more bandwith usage....
You can send a message around the world in 1/7 of a second; yet it may take several years to move a simple idea through a 1/4 inch of human skull.

SubversiveAgent

Post by SubversiveAgent » 2006-04-27 12:09

5) Just look at the file size, if it's under 2megs you're probably looking at a mediocre quality audio
I want your slot.

Serban

Post by Serban » 2006-04-27 12:24

It's hard to tell just by the size of the files... For example metalcore and grindcore tracks may be very short (average of 2 minutes) so even in decent quality these would be 2-3 megs... and then there's the oposite... doom metal songs or dj setlists that can range from 15 minutes to 2 hours so there is no way to tell the quality of an mp3 unless you know it's duration I guess.

That being said, maybe people don't feel this would be a neat enhancement anyway... :roll:

imb

Post by imb » 2006-04-27 14:16

Serban wrote:It's hard to tell just by the size of the files... For example metalcore and grindcore tracks may be very short (average of 2 minutes) so even in decent quality these would be 2-3 megs... and then there's the oposite... doom metal songs or dj setlists that can range from 15 minutes to 2 hours so there is no way to tell the quality of an mp3 unless you know it's duration I guess.
Well you can sort by filesize, and the largest popular file size is likely to be 192 or slightly higher VBR. I used to think this would be a problem too, however my method seems to have been working well for a number of years. Most of my material is of high quality.

bastya_elvtars

Post by bastya_elvtars » 2006-04-27 15:39

Since there are many audio formats, relying on MP3 bitrate only is foolish.

I wanted to have this feature earlier, but due to the diversity of the formats it would be hard to implement.

And yes, the rule of thumb is: the bigger the beter quality.
Hey you, / Don't help them to bury the light... / Don't give in / Without a fight. (Pink Floyd)

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-04-27 17:28

Quattro wrote:meaning more bandwith usage....
That's not much of a concern - only results to passive searches would impact the hub. The problem is that you can't really extend the NMDC $SRs. This is possible in ADC searches, easily. If a client even wanted to put length, ID3 tag values, etc. in a search result, it could. And DC++ would ignore it, and supported clients would display it.

(There are other issues, but they're not really interesting.)

This was my first feature idea too. :)

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-04-27 17:32

Serban wrote:If the features are requested in Bugzilla does it mean they will eventually get implemented?
More importantly, only features in Bugzilla will be implemented, unless they happen to be something a programmer has also though of.

This is why I phrased the summary to the "Proposals" topic the way I did. Users who care enough will submit their feature requests into bugzilla, and those who do not will not.