Random user list downloads

Use this forum to flesh out your feature request before you enter it in <a href="http://dcpp.net/bugzilla/">Bugzilla</a>.

Moderator: Moderators

SubversiveAgent

Random user list downloads

Post by SubversiveAgent » 2006-04-04 09:38

This bit's got me curious. At this point I have no idea how many random lists I download in X amount of time and why that is so. Is this number set by the hub I'm on? Default DC++ value? Does anyone set it at all? I don't understand how it works.

Perhaps a "Use % bandwidth for random file list download" thingie would be an interesting option.
I want your slot.

ullner
Forum Moderator

Post by ullner » 2006-04-04 09:46

The 'random' file list downloads you are talking about sound like 'Automatically match queue for auto search hits'. It's explained in the help file.

SubversiveAgent

Post by SubversiveAgent » 2006-04-04 13:20

"Every few minutes, the client will will search for files in your Download queue to find more download locations (more users/sources). If the search was started using TTH blah blah blah"

My point is... how does it search? What I see it doing is downloading file lists from other users, not run TTH or regular searches for more users/sources. Okay, so maybe it does that and I just don't see it.

Still.. it does download user lists without me telling it to, and matches them up with my wanted list. So... any way to tell it to download more user lists? Without filling up my screen with people's user lists, that is

Or to queue up a TTH/regular search of every file I have on my download list? Is this what it is supposed to do? Does the priority of certain files mean these auto searches focus on those files first?
I want your slot.

joakim_tosteberg
Forum Moderator

Post by joakim_tosteberg » 2006-04-05 10:33

Help file wrote:Automatically Match Queue for Auto Search Hits
Enable to automatically download a user's list and match them as sources for files in your Download Queue when they've been discovered as a source for one of the files you're downloading. If you download files in sets, that user is probably a source for many more files you're downloading.Enable if unsure. The drawbacks are that it might add slower sources, possibly increasing the time needed to complete a download, and that you'll download a lot of file lists.
Please read what you are told, not something that sounds similar.

SubversiveAgent

Post by SubversiveAgent » 2006-04-06 05:34

Silly me, I typed in the descript for the line above.

Stilll... "Use % bandwidth for automatic user list download"... Any technical reason why this can't be implemented?
I want your slot.

Todi
Forum Moderator

Post by Todi » 2006-04-06 06:35

No technical reason i think. But a practical one perhaps. Limiting the bandwidth will render this feature more or less useless, since the filelist will take forever to download if you've limited the bandwidth and there are a lot of lists to match.

The fuldc feature to limit the amount of lists you want to match against is probably more useful.

SubversiveAgent

Post by SubversiveAgent » 2006-04-06 10:14

Todi wrote:No technical reason i think. But a practical one perhaps. Limiting the bandwidth will render this feature more or less useless, since the filelist will take forever to download if you've limited the bandwidth and there are a lot of lists to match.

The fuldc feature to limit the amount of lists you want to match against is probably more useful.
Well yes, that did ocurr to me. Perhaps the % thing becomes too complicated to implement once you start throwing multiple scenarios at it. Too much thought would have to go into it, and it's not that big a feature.

I'm not familiar with fuldc, so I'm not sure how that works.

Something simpler then. "I want DC++ to always be downloading # file lists". If I see it's taking up too much bandwidth downloading lists, I tell it to grab fewer. Opposite situation ocurrs, I tell it to grab more. And I have full control (well, almost) of how many lists I'm grabbing at any time. Simple enough?
I want your slot.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-04-07 17:08

SubversiveAgent wrote:Stilll... "Use % bandwidth for automatic user list download"... Any technical reason why this can't be implemented?
Well, anything that has "bandwidth" and "limiting" in it has to fight an uphill battle to get included into DC++. Your idea is nice, but that doesn't mean we can act on it (or even that it's practical). Knowing what amount of "bandwidth" you have is an ordeal unto itself.

The searches will stop when you have enough online sources. And once the lists are downloaded, you'll have more sources for the files you want. Why the focus on the short term bandwidth used by the lists?

SubversiveAgent

Post by SubversiveAgent » 2006-04-10 07:12

Well I have 600GB+ of files I want, so I can never have enough sources. ;) My TTH searches focus on the things I want with a high level of priority, but there are literally thousands of files on my wanted list that have no sources since I upgraded (.688 ate the sources list). And there's no way to get sources for those files except:

a) Do several thousand TTH searches

b) Grab more file lists

So TTH works great, but it doesn't solve my problem. Having a way to download more file lists would go a long way towards clearing up that wanted list.

Forget the bandwidth suggestion though, it's too complicated even to figure out how much bandwidth I have available. Just add an option that allows me to force # simultaneous file list downloads and I'll be happy :)
I want your slot.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-04-11 16:50

If you limit the number of your downloads using the setting, DC++ should only use three "download minislots" (for high priority files and file lists). Unless something has changed, you can use that feature. I think it'd be pretty easy to get into the situation where a user is a (potentially) source for a group of files, but only one has been downloaded, since there were too many file lists downloading already, so DC++ didn't know the user matched a mess more files.

SubversiveAgent

Post by SubversiveAgent » 2006-04-12 05:22

GargoyleMT wrote:If you limit the number of your downloads using the setting, DC++ should only use three "download minislots" (for high priority files and file lists).

Okay, that makes me slightly confused. If I limit my downloads to 3 slots only (thus only grabbing 3 files at once), then more file lists will be downloaded?
GargoyleMT wrote:Unless something has changed, you can use that feature. I think it'd be pretty easy to get into the situation where a user is a (potentially) source for a group of files, but only one has been downloaded, since there were too many file lists downloading already, so DC++ didn't know the user matched a mess more files.
errr... that somewhat erodes my faith on the brains of DC++. If I download a file list, I assume DC++ matches up the list with my own wanted list, not that there's a "mess more files" factor that sometimes prevents DC++ from identifying all the files a user has that I want.

Unless I'm missing your point?
I want your slot.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-04-13 19:29

SubversiveAgent wrote:Okay, that makes me slightly confused. If I limit my downloads to 3 slots only (thus only grabbing 3 files at once), then more file lists will be downloaded?
I believe so, but I haven't looked at the code to reinforce that belief. There should be up to three slots used beyond what you have set up, but they will all be populated by file lists and other files with "Highest" priority. I believe it's touched on in the changelog, which is a bit unwieldy, but generally a good source of documentation.
SubversiveAgent wrote:Unless I'm missing your point?
I think you are. Until DC++ downloads the file list, it can't add the user as a source for files (beyond the first auto-hit that triggered the match queue). So, if you limit your file list downloads, you're preventing additional sources from being added. That is, unless you download only single files from users who would only coincidentally have other files in your download queue.

SubversiveAgent

Post by SubversiveAgent » 2006-04-17 05:31

GargoyleMT wrote:I believe so, but I haven't looked at the code to reinforce that belief. There should be up to three slots used beyond what you have set up, but they will all be populated by file lists and other files with "Highest" priority. I believe it's touched on in the changelog, which is a bit unwieldy, but generally a good source of documentation.
Well...

The whole "maximum downloads" is something that evades me as well. I usually top out at about 20 downloads, regardless of what I'm grabbing. Since most of them are are 2KB ou 4KB downloads (or less), it hardly clogs up my pipe.

Now, shrinking my download slots to 3 might help with grabbing more filelist, but it would also seriously cripple my downloads. What I'm looking for is a way to keep those 20 downloads going and get a few more file lists downloading at the same time.

Since, once upon a time, I could get a total download speed of 200KB/s, and since I'm currently getting about 70KB/90KBs, I don't think adding those file list downloads would cripple anything. But I have no way to force those extra file list downloads, hence my request here.
I think you are. Until DC++ downloads the file list, it can't add the user as a source for files (beyond the first auto-hit that triggered the match queue). So, if you limit your file list downloads, you're preventing additional sources from being added. That is, unless you download only single files from users who would only coincidentally have other files in your download queue.
Well that's another kettle of fish altogether, having DC++ always download the file list from a user if that user is found to have at least one file I like. It'd be hell getting that to work with TTH searches.

Though it makes sense. Say you're downloading a (I dunno, free garage band music. Emphasis on free.). There'll be multiple songs there, and you'll want them all. But you're TTHing for one specific song, so you'll only find that one. Yet, in all likelyhood, whatever users show up on your TTH search will have the rest of the album. So it would make sense to grab their file lists and check.

So that spreads out into:

- Automatically download file list from user if downloading a file from him
- Automatically download all file lists from users in TTH search if there's at least one search hit
- Allow user to define how many simultaneous file list downloads can ocurr
I want your slot.