search intervals?

Use this forum to flesh out your feature request before you enter it in <a href="http://dcpp.net/bugzilla/">Bugzilla</a>.

Moderator: Moderators

diurnal

search intervals?

Post by diurnal » 2006-03-24 09:02

I propose somehow of putting a lock in the dc++client to tell you not to search. This will make it easier to know that the reason you are getting no results is because you have a search interval on you. Of course, if you continue to search your time interval rises. Maybe putting a option in advanced settings to make a popup or something to tell you.

Actually, I would like to say search intervals are killing Dc++. I understand the reasons behind it but to block all search results from all hubs is absurd. Of course I know you can tick which hub you want to search, but it seems time consuming looking for the hub that has a search interval on you.

Also, how about giving the users the ability to have 5 unlimited searches before putting search intervals on them? This seems fair, however I do not really know the bandwidth stress 5 unlimited searches would put on a hub.

Well, I'm just throwing some ideas out there and hope you could implement some type of solution.

Thanks

joakim_tosteberg
Forum Moderator

Post by joakim_tosteberg » 2006-03-24 12:33

The build in search interval is 5 seconds and you really don't need to search more often than that.

It is mostly the hubs that put limits on how often it will allow you to search and that is nothing that can be changed in the client.

diurnal

Post by diurnal » 2006-03-28 16:34

One thing I don't understand is different hubs have different hub search intervals. In other words how can 1 hub block searches to another hub? For example, Hub A has a search interval of 5 seconds and Hub B has a search interval of 10 seconds. Due to Hub A's 5 second interval it automatically puts that search interval on Hub B as well. In time, I hope this will be fixed.

Also, I and others sometimes search multiple times as opposed to one search per X amount of seconds. Of course not to clogged or spam a hub but to try and find more than one file.

SubversiveAgent

Post by SubversiveAgent » 2006-03-29 06:52

diurnal wrote:One thing I don't understand is different hubs have different hub search intervals. In other words how can 1 hub block searches to another hub? For example, Hub A has a search interval of 5 seconds and Hub B has a search interval of 10 seconds. Due to Hub A's 5 second interval it automatically puts that search interval on Hub B as well. In time, I hope this will be fixed.

Also, I and others sometimes search multiple times as opposed to one search per X amount of seconds. Of course not to clogged or spam a hub but to try and find more than one file.
I don't see that at all... if I run multiple TTH searches, the "less tolerant" hubs dry up after the second or third search. The "more tolerant" hubs keep giving me sources.
I want your slot.

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2006-03-29 07:42

diurnal wrote:One thing I don't understand is different hubs have different hub search intervals. In other words how can 1 hub block searches to another hub? For example, Hub A has a search interval of 5 seconds and Hub B has a search interval of 10 seconds. Due to Hub A's 5 second interval it automatically puts that search interval on Hub B as well. In time, I hope this will be fixed.
Read joakim_tostebergs reply again.
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.

SubversiveAgent

Re: search intervals?

Post by SubversiveAgent » 2006-04-04 10:06

diurnal wrote:I propose somehow of putting a lock in the dc++client to tell you not to search. This will make it easier to know that the reason you are getting no results is because you have a search interval on you. Of course, if you continue to search your time interval rises. Maybe putting a option in advanced settings to make a popup or something to tell you.

Actually, I would like to say search intervals are killing Dc++. I understand the reasons behind it but to block all search results from all hubs is absurd. Of course I know you can tick which hub you want to search, but it seems time consuming looking for the hub that has a search interval on you.

Also, how about giving the users the ability to have 5 unlimited searches before putting search intervals on them? This seems fair, however I do not really know the bandwidth stress 5 unlimited searches would put on a hub.

Well, I'm just throwing some ideas out there and hope you could implement some type of solution.

Thanks
Hate to spam, but this seems relevant:
Here's a dandy little tip if you're having search problems:

- Do a search
- Wait a few moments for it to detect all of the possible sources
- Close the search
- Wait about 10 secs
- Do another search

If you do one search without closing the previous one, you'll find that some hubs are excluded from it. This is (I believe) because the hub detects you already have one search in progress and won't let you run another one.

Maybe that's not how DC++ works, but I did three searches in row using the method above and they worked. Previously the second search would exclude one hub, the third search would exclude two, etc etc.
I want your slot.

joakim_tosteberg
Forum Moderator

Post by joakim_tosteberg » 2006-04-05 10:30

Hmm, cant think of how that could help. Possible if you are in passive mode as search replys are routed through the hub then but in active mode is only the initial search request sent trough the hub.