Tons of errors compiling in VS2005

Problems compiling? Don't understand the source code? Don't know how to code your feature? Post here.

Moderator: Moderators

qwick

Tons of errors compiling in VS2005

Post by qwick » 2006-02-14 14:44

Hi, I'm a noob to compiling, so please bare with me. I downloaded VS2005 express edition from microsoft, and then dowloaded the platform SDK and installed it. However i an getting litereally thousands of errors when i compile. I applied a patch i found for 2005 in another thread, but it has no luck. I really am at a loss here because i cant figure out what the problem is. Please help me! Here is just a sample of the errors i get:

Code: Select all

------ Build started: Project: client, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
Compiling...
stdinc.cpp
Compiling...
AdcCommand.cpp
AdcHub.cpp
ADLSearch.cpp
c:\documents and settings\gavin\my documents\dc clients\dcsource\client\stringdefs.h(488) : error C2143: syntax error : missing '}' before 'constant'
c:\documents and settings\gavin\my documents\dc clients\dcsource\client\stringdefs.h(488) : error C2059: syntax error : 'constant'
c:\documents and settings\gavin\my documents\dc clients\dcsource\client\stringdefs.h(566) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '}'
c:\documents and settings\gavin\my documents\dc clients\dcsource\client\stringdefs.h(566) : error C2238: unexpected token(s) preceding ';'
c:\documents and settings\gavin\my documents\dc clients\dcsource\client\resourcemanager.h(34) : error C2065: 'Strings' : undeclared identifier
c:\documents and settings\gavin\my documents\dc clients\dcsource\client\resourcemanager.h(34) : error C2146: syntax error : missing ')' before identifier 'x'
c:\documents and settings\gavin\my documents\dc clients\dcsource\client\resourcemanager.h(34) : error C2059: syntax error : ')'
c:\documents and settings\gavin\my documents\dc clients\dcsource\client\resourcemanager.h(34) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '{'
c:\documents and settings\gavin\my documents\dc clients\dcsource\client\resourcemanager.h(34) : error C2447: '{' : missing function header (old-style formal list?)
c:\documents and settings\gavin\my documents\dc clients\dcsource\client\resourcemanager.h(35) : error C2146: syntax error : missing ')' before identifier 'x'
c:\documents and settings\gavin\my documents\dc clients\dcsource\client\resourcemanager.h(35) : error C2059: syntax error : ')'
c:\documents and settings\gavin\my documents\dc clients\dcsource\client\resourcemanager.h(35) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '{'
c:\documents and settings\gavin\my documents\dc clients\dcsource\client\resourcemanager.h(35) : error C2447: '{' : missing function header (old-style formal list?)
c:\documents and settings\gavin\my documents\dc clients\dcsource\client\resourcemanager.h(37) : error C2059: syntax error : 'private'
c:\documents and settings\gavin\my documents\dc clients\dcsource\client\resourcemanager.h(38) : error C2255: 'friend' : not allowed outside of a class definition
c:\documents and settings\gavin\my documents\dc clients\dcsource\client\resourcemanager.h(38) : error C2908: explicit specialization; 'Singleton<T>' has already been instantiated
        with
        [
            T=ResourceManager

qwick

Post by qwick » 2006-02-14 15:14

OK i really am a noob. I only installed the update patch, not the origional. SO anyways, I just did that, and things are working much better. However I still get a few errors. Any help?

Code: Select all

------ Build started: Project: client, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
Building StringDefs.cpp and Example.xml from StringDefs.h (you need python installed for this to work)
Compiling...
Skipping... (no relevant changes detected)
StringDefs.cpp
Creating library...
StringTokenizer.obj : warning LNK4221: no public symbols found; archive member will be inaccessible
LogManager.obj : warning LNK4221: no public symbols found; archive member will be inaccessible
Build log was saved at "file://c:\Documents and Settings\Gavin\My Documents\DC Clients\DCsource\vc7\Debug\client\BuildLog.htm"
client - 0 error(s), 2 warning(s)
------ Build started: Project: DCPlusPlus, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
Compiling...
stdafx.cpp
c:\documents and settings\gavin\my documents\dc clients\dcsource\client\config.h(61) : warning C4005: '_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE' : macro redefinition
        command-line arguments : see previous definition of '_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE'
c:\documents and settings\gavin\my documents\dc clients\dcsource\windows\stdafx.h(45) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'atlbase.h': No such file or directory
Build log was saved at "file://c:\Documents and Settings\Gavin\My Documents\DC Clients\DCsource\vc7\Debug\windows\BuildLog.htm"
DCPlusPlus - 1 error(s), 1 warning(s)
------ Build started: Project: help, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
Compiling Help File
HTML Help Workshop not detected.  Please install it from:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/htmlhelp/html/hwMicrosoftHTMLHelpDownloads.asp
or.. enter the correct path in help/compile.cmd
Project : error PRJ0002 : Error result 1 returned from 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe'.
Build log was saved at "file://C:\Documents and Settings\Gavin\My Documents\DC Clients\DCsource\vc7\Debug\help\BuildLog.htm"
help - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 1 succeeded, 2 failed, 2 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Carraya

Post by Carraya » 2006-02-14 15:58

DC++ will never be able to compile in the express edition, and does currently not compile even under the real MSVS 2005, the recommended compiler is MSVS 2003, which you can pick up pretty cheap now...
<random funny comment>

joakim_tosteberg
Forum Moderator

Post by joakim_tosteberg » 2006-02-14 16:06

Carraya wrote:DC++ will never be able to compile in the express edition
THis is due to the express edition not containig atl/wtl.
Carraya wrote:, and does currently not compile even under the real MSVS 2005, the recommended compiler is MSVS 2003, which you can pick up pretty cheap now...
Getting it to compile under 2005 is no big work now, my patch at http://www.dcpp.net/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=689 should still work I think but it is possbile that even more of the original patch is no longer needed due to updates in the DC++ code, I haven't have any need to check as cvs updates patches eveything so nicely.

qwick

Post by qwick » 2006-02-14 16:21

could i possibly download the missing file altbase.h? Or is it even more in depth than that missing file?

joakim_tosteberg
Forum Moderator

Post by joakim_tosteberg » 2006-02-15 01:17

qwick wrote:could i possibly download the missing file altbase.h? Or is it even more in depth than that missing file?
It is more than that.
It is _possible_ that you can get the missing files by downloading and installing the windows server 2003 platform SDK from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en.But I gurantee nothing.

Carraya

Post by Carraya » 2006-02-15 02:54

Well Yassl doesn't compile on 2005, which is why I said it's currently not possible, at least it wasn't last week :) The other stuff and some more tweaks I've already done, but alas the yassl library doesn't compile...
<random funny comment>

joakim_tosteberg
Forum Moderator

Post by joakim_tosteberg » 2006-02-15 07:31

Carraya wrote:Well Yassl doesn't compile on 2005, which is why I said it's currently not possible, at least it wasn't last week :) The other stuff and some more tweaks I've already done, but alas the yassl library doesn't compile...
I am using the yassl provided from DC++ CVS and so far I haven't had any problems with that one at all without any modifications.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-02-15 11:50

joakim_tosteberg wrote:It is _possible_ that you can get the missing files by downloading and installing the windows server 2003 platform SDK
I'm pretty sure the folks on the WTL mailing list indicated that's only a 64 bit version of ATL and the 32 bit is not included.

qwick:
Seriously, though, this is documented in the FAQ on the Express Edition: http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/expre ... /faq/#vcpp

Some have said there are ways to work around this, but this is not the place to discuss them. I'm fairly certain that by doing so you'll violate the license...

qwick

Post by qwick » 2006-02-15 15:16

well I'm not here to *violate* any licenses, but i am here to compile DC++, and i'm not spending hundreds of dollars to do so...

Carraya

Post by Carraya » 2006-02-16 01:48

qwick wrote:well I'm not here to *violate* any licenses, but i am here to compile DC++, and i'm not spending hundreds of dollars to do so...
Then the chances are that you won't succeed.
<random funny comment>