Bandwith limit manager

Use this forum to flesh out your feature request before you enter it in <a href="http://dcpp.net/bugzilla/">Bugzilla</a>.

Moderator: Moderators

eve

Bandwith limit manager

Post by eve » 2005-12-13 13:51

i'm wondering if it will be possible in the future to add
the same feature that exist on emule. you can set a limit for download and upload speed in kb. This fetaure is very useful not only for a user but also increase the traffic p2p.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2005-12-13 14:15

Eve, bandwidth limiting is such a point of contention that arne decided he's not going to add it. It is listed in the rejected feature tracker, which I notice that I failed to mention in my sticky post at the top of this forum: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=5 ... unc=browse

eve

Post by eve » 2005-12-13 14:21

:cry: ok
regards.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2005-12-13 14:23

eve wrote:ok
You realize there are DC++ based clients that offer this feature? I suggest you use one of them.

eve

Post by eve » 2005-12-13 14:45

GargoyleMT wrote:
You realize there are DC++ based clients that offer this feature? I suggest you use one of them.
also.. any good link ?
thanks !

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2005-12-13 14:51

eve wrote:also.. any good link ?
thanks !
I had a generic link of clients in my previous message. I wanted to let you choose and experiment for yourself.

mai9

Post by mai9 » 2005-12-14 14:29

I used to use one of those clients, but at the end I moved to netlimiter, much more practical to use than opening DC++ settings everytime you want to change limits.º

eve

Post by eve » 2005-12-14 14:33

mai9 wrote:I used to use one of those clients, but at the end I moved to netlimiter, much more practical to use than opening DC++ settings everytime you want to change limits.º
Actually i'm using the bandwith limit manager of my router(limiting packet's)...
i'll try this one. thanks

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2005-12-14 17:32

mai9 wrote:much more practical to use than opening DC++ settings everytime you want to change limits.º
And that's why BCDC has a /command for changing the limit on the fly...

imb

Post by imb » 2006-01-01 15:49

GargoyleMT wrote:
In theory there are alternatives but in practise there's little to no decent options.

BCDC crashes when you join larger hubs (my girlfriend on an entirely different set up experiences the same problem), and I often find it crashes randomly.

CZDC seems to disconnect from hubs for no reason at all.

DCDM aint bad but I just use that to check users in my hub, I use two clients because of the abuse you're likely to encounter when checking users.

Peerweb aint bad but search doesn't work for me even in Passive.

Those are the fundamental alternatives, there's really not much point in telling me derivatives of those are going to be less buggy.

Netlimiter causes Ptokax to crash, not an option.

It would be nice if someone coded a version of DC++ solely with an upload limiter, always show the limit/ratio in the tag of course. A non buggy alternative for those users who want to browse the internet (what ever anyone says, for the majority of connections do suffer a great deal when upload is saturated)/have lagless hubs.

I made this same point on the LUA language board, the DC++ coders can hear it too!

Big Muscle

Post by Big Muscle » 2006-01-01 16:20

or just made only download limiter. Why everyone wants to limit his upload ? They can download and browse web when download speed is limited ;-)

imb

Post by imb » 2006-01-01 17:20

Big Muscle wrote:or just made only download limiter. Why everyone wants to limit his upload ? They can download and browse web when download speed is limited ;-)
Because some people barely download and instead upload constantly.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-01-01 22:21

imb wrote:I made this same point on the LUA language board, the DC++ coders can hear it too!
The original client with throttling had that as its only change (Alyandon). It lost out to the more featured alternatives. That's software evolution in practice, as far as I'm concerned.

imb

Post by imb » 2006-01-12 18:29

GargoyleMT wrote:
imb wrote:I made this same point on the LUA language board, the DC++ coders can hear it too!
The original client with throttling had that as its only change (Alyandon). It lost out to the more featured alternatives. That's software evolution in practice, as far as I'm concerned.
Lost out how? Are you simply saying people preferred 'the more featured alternatives'? I'm not convinced that's the case these days. It would seem to me the average person goes for an upload limiter in a client like BCDC, rather than the primary reason being it's alternative features.

Wisp

Post by Wisp » 2006-01-14 18:39

Big Muscle wrote:or just made only download limiter. Why everyone wants to limit his upload ? They can download and browse web when download speed is limited ;-)
tcp/ip protocol is using upload while downloading, so when dc++ is consuming 100% of the upload speed, the download is also very slow, setting the upload speed to about 90% will give a huge improvement for downloading.

That's why I use netlimiter all the time.. before knowing netlimiter, i would close dc++ when i wanted to browse the web or play online games, now i just limit it by 20kb or so, and people can continue downloading from me

Kochise

Teah, that's right

Post by Kochise » 2006-01-27 17:37

Wisp wrote:
tcp/ip protocol is using upload while downloading, so when dc++ is consuming 100% of the upload speed, the download is also very slow, setting the upload speed to about 90% will give a huge improvement for downloading.

That's why I use netlimiter all the time.. before knowing netlimiter, i would close dc++ when i wanted to browse the web or play online games, now i just limit it by 20kb or so, and people can continue downloading from me
That's exactly what I experience. I get an incredible boost of downloading bandwidth JUST by decreasing DC++ upload by 2/4 KB with NetLimiter on my ADSL connection. There seems to be less pressure on the transactional packets as the upload bandwidth don't get it all, thus allowing me : 1- To surf the web and receive my email even when I download nothing, 2- Download faster from DC++ when it's my turn !

I think that from the allowed/limited bandwidth, 90% should be given to data, and 10% for packet transactions (too ease download requests).

I don't request a bandwidth limiter to almost cut off upload, making me a leecher, but allowing to do something else than just uploading things under DC++. I cutted off bittorrent from my machine because I wasn't able to do anything else but bittorrent when it was running, it's pretty the same with DC++.

I currently have a permanent connection with eMule, I hardly download anything, but share rare things. I set up my upload to 10 KiB/s of my 128 Kb/s (16 KiB/s) upload bandwidth. It leaves me 6 KiB/s to send my mails and do some other things with my computer.

If I limit more my upload under eMule, then it's my download which gets automatically limited (eMule policy, really fair). I just WANT the same stuff inside DC++, to limit download IF the guy limits a bit too much his upload.

I also REQUEST something that I miss : SCHEDULING !

I have a work, and I'm far from my computer most of the time on day, and sleep at night, pretty normal schedule. My current eMule session upload 24/24 at 10 KiB/s, because I'm toooo lazy to set the upload to 16 KiB/s (or just unrestrict it) when I leave home or get a sleep. I wanted to know if once a 'light' bandwidth limiter would be added, a scheduler could also be implemented to release pressure from restriction on some hour range ?

Another idea coming from my messenger/screensaver. When I'm on the keyboard, my messenger warns people around me I'm no more idle, I can be shouted. But there is no (or few) incidence on my bandwidth usage. However, when I'm on the Internet, the upload bandwidth is requested for HTML page transaction, email verification and else. Then these two facts could be added to detect it's time to limit a bit the upload (say up to 10 KiB/s) to leave the user be able to use his computer with comfort.

To sum up, I'd be glad if DC++ can detect some user's needs of bandwidth and automatically limits its upload bandwidth to leave enough resources for other programs and else. Then, when the computer returns idle (no more email fetching, no more FTP downloading, ...) after some time (1/2 minutes), the upload limit can be removed automatically.

All of this will gives the user a feeling of breeze, so he won't be bothered by DC++ presence, so he won't seek any way to limit DC++ annoyance with tools such NetLimiter, thus the share will profit from these features (fair bandwidth limits, limitation scheduling, user presence and internet usage detection, ...)

That's all what I need, I'm not here to stop user from downloading from my computer, I'm not a leecher. But the current version of DC++ is so much a pain in the ass that I prefered to stop any other attempt of using it, and settled up a permanent 10 KiB/s eMule connection instead.

You have no bandwidth limiter ? I just stopped using DC++ ! So who won anything from all of this ? Just reconsider my request, I repeat, I don't need less than 10 KiB/s upload (if I need I'll cut off DC++ the time shift needed for my stuff), but leaving me enough bandwidth for my other usage of the InterNet. You're not alone, don't be so egoist in the name of sharing. I want to share, but not under so much annoyance.

Kochise

PS : and sorry for my english...

Quattro

Post by Quattro » 2006-01-28 04:41

BCDC is almost as stable as DC++ if not more ;-)
It features a bandwith limiter which has a second set of limits which you can set at any time for any time
for example..
during the day when you're at work it almost doesn't limit.
In the evening it limits a bit more while you're at home internetting
and let's say 1 o' clock in the night it goes back to the previous setting
You can send a message around the world in 1/7 of a second; yet it may take several years to move a simple idea through a 1/4 inch of human skull.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: Teah, that's right

Post by GargoyleMT » 2006-01-28 08:29

Kochise wrote:I wanted to know if once a 'light' bandwidth limiter would be added, a scheduler could also be implemented to release pressure from restriction on some hour range ?
Did you read my response to the first post? arnetheduck has had this on DC++'s rejected feature list for a long time.

On some connections, you can use the "Small send buffer" (or "socket write buffer" in recent versions) to alleviate the lag caused by uploading.

Kochise wrote:You have no bandwidth limiter ? I just stopped using DC++ ! So who won anything from all of this ?
There are DC++ derived clients (such as BCDC++) that offer bandwidth limiting, even some on a schedule. Not all of those clients are allowed in all hubs, primarily because of their capability to limit uploads.