two very simple but very useful features

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

dataholic

two very simple but very useful features

Post by dataholic » 2003-03-13 11:12

please make possible following:

1. Ctrl-W closes active window
2. right-click on hub window [even minimized] makes possible to add the hub to favorites.

THANK YOU!!!

Splicer

Post by Splicer » 2003-03-13 13:35

I really don't care about the first one.(with or without)

But I would really like the second one, I don't like having to make it myself.
"Tomorrow sees undone, what happens not today. Indecision brings delays. Days lost lamenting lost days"

"I’m getting some kind of sick pleasure out of watching her squirm!?!........must be a perk!"

HaArD

Post by HaArD » 2003-03-14 01:07

Similar feature was added 5 release ago.

From the changelog:
-- 0.23 2003-01-30 --
* Added /favorite to pm window to add user as a favorite user (/fav also works) (thanks Kenneth Skovhede)
* Added /favorite to hub window to add hub to favorite hubs (/fav also works) (thanks Kenneth Skovhede)

HaArD

Splicer

Post by Splicer » 2003-03-14 02:05

LOL :lol:

I didn't even notice.
"Tomorrow sees undone, what happens not today. Indecision brings delays. Days lost lamenting lost days"

"I’m getting some kind of sick pleasure out of watching her squirm!?!........must be a perk!"

[A&AM]Fireball

Post by [A&AM]Fireball » 2003-03-14 03:09

:lol:
learn more about the [A&AM]Hubs: AnimeAndAsianMovies.de.vu

dataholic

one more

Post by dataholic » 2003-03-14 03:10

I missed that too.

still, I must say being not a coder I don't care much about line commands.
As a user, I prefer key shortcuts and when they are not there then I go right-click expecting to find menu offering me what I'm looking for.
Is it that stupid or difficult to add rightclick menu to a window [including minimized!] enabling access to a feature already implemented?

Speaking of which I would also appreciate "search for alternates" option in right-click menu on downloading files in dl/ul window

I know my proposals are "not crucial for dc++ protocol", they are just about polishing - making usage of dc++ smoother [and more pleasant].

Btw I have those in mind way back since 0.171 or so, but never posted them thinking these little things are so obvious that sooner or later they would be added anyway. Just couldn't wait any more...

sarf

Re: one more

Post by sarf » 2003-03-14 07:28

dataholic wrote:still, I must say being not a coder I don't care much about line commands.
Shame on you! :)

About the menus... the reason I can see that arnetheduck has not added them is that the menus would get large and harder to use - there is no easy way around this since there is no logical way to divide the menus into sub-menus either.
dataholic wrote:As a user, I prefer key shortcuts and when they are not there then I go right-click expecting to find menu offering me what I'm looking for.
How would you do a key shortcut to add a user?
dataholic wrote:Is it that stupid or difficult to add rightclick menu to a window [including minimized!] enabling access to a feature already implemented?
It is not difficult at all, but when your user menu has ten or more menu choices it starts to get unwieldy.
dataholic wrote:Speaking of which I would also appreciate "search for alternates" option in right-click menu on downloading files in dl/ul window
The problem with this is the simple fact that the transfer window does not always have that data... for example, having the possibility to "search for alternates" on the transfer item "Download finished, idle..." would make no sense, and it is not very easy to check for this.

Sarf
---
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy enough guns to make sure nobody else can have any either.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-03-14 07:28

In case there are no further followups to this thread, make sure the features get added to the RFE tracker. Most of the posts there do not seem to be about UI polish, so... :)

dataholic

shortcuts

Post by dataholic » 2003-03-14 08:55

I propose following shortcuts:

Ctrl-Shift-F to add hub [when the hub window active or any selected line containing hub name - i.e.hub in hub-list but also an item in downloading window] to favs
Ctrl-Shift-U to add a user to favs [applicable in any selected line containing user]

Search for alternates in transfer window:
The problem with this is the simple fact that the transfer window does not always have that data... for example, having the possibility to "search for alternates" on the transfer item "Download finished, idle..." would make no sense, and it is not very easy to check for this.
Now when we have "finished downloads" window / CTRL-Shift-D :) / I feel it is where info about finished downloads belongs, not to mess around in dl progress window...

sarf

Re: shortcuts

Post by sarf » 2003-03-14 09:48

About the "add user to favorites" shortcut... if you pressed it while having a hub window open, with the focus on the input chat text box, what would happen? What window should have it enabled? All windows which have selectable text (private message and hub window) that pertains to users?
dataholic wrote:Now when we have "finished downloads" window / CTRL-Shift-D :) / I feel it is where info about finished downloads belongs, not to mess around in dl progress window...
Ehm... and why would anyone want to search for alternates to files they already have downloaded?

Sarf
---
People will buy anything that's one to a customer.

dataholic

Post by dataholic » 2003-03-14 12:07

About the "add user to favorites" shortcut... if you pressed it while having a hub window open, with the focus on the input chat text box, what would happen? What window should have it enabled? All windows which have selectable text (private message and hub window) that pertains to users?
possibilities:
1. add user in window selected last
2. if there is more possible users selected, then
2a. add them all
2b. let me choose one to add [or more using checkboxes, but i'm afraid this is getting difficult in terms of coding time required]

I personally vote for 1. Why anyone would mass-add to favs? Even if someone would want to, still it would be much easier this way than via hub-user lists.

Ehm... and why would anyone want to search for alternates to files they already have downloaded?
obviously no one will normally need to search for already downloaded file.
You can disable this feature in Finished downloads window.

If what you ask is why someone would search for a file currently being downloaded, then i can give you several reasons: looking for faster source, lost connection etc. I would use it quite often.

I really think that once the download is finished, it should disappear *immediately* from transfer window - which can help to solve the problem you mentioned above.

Any more questions? :)

Sedulus
Forum Moderator

Re: shortcuts

Post by Sedulus » 2003-03-14 13:47

dataholic wrote:I propose following shortcuts:
seriously
you can't tell me it's _easier_ to look up and remember which two-modifiers-and-one-letter-shortcut to use, than to remember and type "/fav"
http://dc.selwerd.nl/hublist.xml.bz2
http://www.b.ali.btinternet.co.uk/DCPlusPlus/index.html (TheParanoidOne's DC++ Guide)
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/dc (BSOD2600's Direct Connect FAQ)

sarf

Post by sarf » 2003-03-14 20:13

dataholic wrote:possibilities:
1. add user in window selected last
2. if there is more possible users selected, then
2a. add them all
2b. let me choose one to add [or more using checkboxes, but i'm afraid this is getting difficult in terms of coding time required]
Unfortunately, you're already a bit far from the "easy-to-code" part, I'm afraid. Oh well, the 1st would work.
dataholic wrote:
sarf wrote:Ehm... and why would anyone want to search for alternates to files they already have downloaded?
obviously no one will normally need to search for already downloaded file.
You can disable this feature in Finished downloads window.
But why, oh why, should I want to search for alternates from the Finished Download window? I think we're not on the same level here - my point is this - it is possible to do a search for alternates on the transfer window, but it will be a bit "funny" (and not-good from a UI design perspective) to allow someone to use "Search for alternates" on a "Download finished, idle..." "transfer".
dataholic wrote:I really think that once the download is finished, it should disappear *immediately* from transfer window - which can help to solve the problem you mentioned above.
This is not the issue, and it can't be remedied in this way. The "Download finished, idle..." should be shown, it's just that I am uncomfortable with allowing the user to do a "Search for alternates" on it... it's easy to solve from a technical point of view, but... Oh well.

Sarf
---
Monday is an awful way to spend one-seventh of your life.

dataholic

Post by dataholic » 2003-03-15 05:02

I agree completely that "search for alternates" shouldn't be allowed on finished downloads (if they are to remain to be shown in transfer window)!!
It would be wasting search time and line capacity!!

So if I right-click on such item, "sfa" option is not in the menu. But can this be done?

sarf

Post by sarf » 2003-03-16 08:17

dataholic wrote:So if I right-click on such item, "sfa" option is not in the menu. But can this be done?
Yes... but currently only by either disabling the menu option or having two menus.

Sarf
---
Mate, this parrot wouldn't VOOM if you put four million volts through it!