Dynamic IP and active

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

Azuth

Dynamic IP and active

Post by Azuth » 2004-07-15 23:29

I've been using DC++ for a like a year now, and I've been wondering if it would be possible for DC++ to automatically obtain my ip address and put it in the active box.

I have a dynamic IP, so I have to copy/paste it everytime I log on to be in active mode, which is a real pain.

I just thought this would be a great feature, and I'm sorry if someone already posted about this. I searched but didn't see anything about it.

Azuth

Twink

Post by Twink » 2004-07-16 00:26

This feature already exists in the form of $UserIP and Userip2, although at least one of the hubs you visit must support this too, hassle the ops at your hubs to get support for it.

cyberal

Post by cyberal » 2004-07-16 03:21

well, as long as it is your local pc that has your ip to the internet, simply just don't fill in any ip, and DC++ will pick your local ip automatically.
http://whyrar.omfg.se - Guide to RAR and DC behaviour!
http://bodstrom.omfg.se - Bodströmsamhället, Länksamling om hoten mot vår personliga integritet

Lundis

Post by Lundis » 2004-07-16 05:37

I have dynamic IP and a firewall and can use active mode.
I recognised right away that I did not want to type in my IP every time.

For zonealarm (not recommended to use that) you can move a security slider to medium.
Sygate personal firewall works well with active mode without having to configure it.
And some tips here http://www.dslreports.com/faq/dc and there are some more links in the sticky threads in the help section.

About $UserIP, it was introduced in 0.305 and will be enabled if it's left blank.
* Added support for $UserIP, %[ip] as user command parameter and server side ip detection (automatically used if the ip field in settings is blank)

I'm guessing that no hub Azuth visits has this enabled if only one must have it.

cyberal

Post by cyberal » 2004-07-16 09:12

hold on... $UserIP is only activated if you check "allow hub to set active mode ip".. and I belive then it sets it even if you have written something in the IP field. However.. the thread starter doesn't say if he has an internal IP-adress or not... if not I see no problem here... maybe he's just not aware that he doesn't have to fill in that field?
http://whyrar.omfg.se - Guide to RAR and DC behaviour!
http://bodstrom.omfg.se - Bodströmsamhället, Länksamling om hoten mot vår personliga integritet

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-07-16 19:36

You can put a dynamic hostname into the DC++ settings instead of an IP address.

Azuth

Post by Azuth » 2004-07-18 05:48

Thanks for the help. I tried leaving the area blank, but then I just get a message saying "invalid IP in ConnectToMe".

I am behind a router with a firewall (netgear rp614 I think), so I'm pretty sure I need to fill in that spot.

I looked for the "allow hub to set active mode ip" option but couldn't find it. Could you possibly tell me where it's located?

Once again, thanks for the help, and I apologize for the late response.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-07-18 10:45

Azuth wrote:I looked for the "allow hub to set active mode ip" option but couldn't find it. Could you possibly tell me where it's located?
It's in BCDC. Not all hubs support $UserIP.

Use a dynamic hostname instead.

Azuth

Post by Azuth » 2004-07-19 22:20

Thanks for the help!

After a little searching, I found no-IP.com, and now use a dynamic hostname.

It makes everything so much easier.

Once again, thanks ^_^

mangolicious

Post by mangolicious » 2005-01-01 16:24

GargoyleMT wrote:You can put a dynamic hostname into the DC++ settings instead of an IP address.
In that case, just so people know and dont have to ask, instead of just calling that box "IP" , you could call it "IP/hostname" which would be a more accurate description of that box. Just a thought :D

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2005-01-02 15:52

mangolicious wrote:In that case, just so people know and dont have to ask, instead of just calling that box "IP" , you could call it "IP/hostname" which would be a more accurate description of that box. Just a thought :D
It's mentioned in the changelog.txt, but I also documented it in the help file.
IP
DC++ will automatically detect and use your local IP. If you are behind a router (or your IP is otherwise non-routable) you will need to put in your external IP here. If you put a DNS name here, DC++ will try to resolve it into an IP address before use.