How to promote a dc hub?

Which hub software is the best? Where can I find script XXX? Discuss it here...(no, this is not for advertising your hub...)

Moderator: Moderators

[NGT]fengen.

How to promote a dc hub?

Post by [NGT]fengen. » 2004-12-08 17:47

Hi, i've just started a hub, and now i need som users. Whats the best way to promote you're hub, without breaking any rules? anyone? :D
1G1

Xan1977
Forum Moderator

Post by Xan1977 » 2004-12-08 19:20

The tips that seem to pop up the most are
1. Time: it will take a very long time to build a userbase, regardless of any other factors. To that end, reliability will be key (24/7 uptime).
2. Entertainment value: Some people will stay for the main chat, even if it's just to watch the Ops messing with each other (or being nice, whichever). There are trivia scripts and kicking contests and similar crap like that too.
3. Make your hub unique and necessary: find a really specific niche market and put that in your description. Find some public form of social interaction based around that niche market and politely anounce that your hub is there for their needs. Maybe also contact the other big hubs in your niche and ask them for their overflow.
4. Join a network.

Some people say keep your share/hubs/slots requirements low in the begining, which will get lots of "users" into your hub, but that tends to drive away the decent share-minded individuals.