limit upload damnit

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

thauzar

limit upload damnit

Post by thauzar » 2004-11-23 08:04

Ok I know this whole dc++ projet as the goal of offering a leecher free environment where everyone can download from everyone without any fakers not sharing. But you know, it's not everyone who got themselves a dedicated T3 line or even an extreme cable modem monthly package. Lots of users have a normal cable connection, like me, and this means 20Gb download and 10Gb upload per month (Videotron). The whole problem and this is why I am so pissed and complaining is that sometimes nobody downloads from you, and some other times 1 guy want to take half your music collection and he busts your upload up to 1Gb in about 2 hours (average 63kb/s). My problem is not about sharing, I hate leechers, but I'm affraid I will have to find a leeching solution cause I am not willing to pay 20$ per week because my upload reached 10 GB. It's cool to share, but if I could download 19Gb and upload to a maximum of 9Gb I would never have any problems. And if a moron can't diversify his sources for mp3 and busts your upload limit in 3 days, then it's not my problem, I could still download without uploading for the rest of the month. WHY? Because I am not a leecher, and this is not done with a leecher mentality, the same action (dl without ul) is not bad in itself when you do your share, but nobody should have to pay more because he can't control how people consume HIS OWN internet connection and upload. so please program something as soon as possible, cause the way it is now, I'll have to find a way to block my upload ports or something and this will not be out of bad intensions but because I want to preserve my right to share. I WANT TO SHARE, but at what cost? Not for 7$ the additionnal GB (6 hours in a night got me 2gb dl and 2gb ul... which means for this month only, 13Gb download total and 11Gb upload!!!! this is nonsense for people without illimited ratios)

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2004-11-23 08:15

Bandwidth limiting is a rejected feature in DC++.

There are however modified clients that have this feature. You will find them if you search.
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

thauzar

I know that's why I complain

Post by thauzar » 2004-11-26 08:13

I think it is really stupid to reject such a usefull feature, for all the reasons I mentioned, but most of all, if I can get that same function with a clone like bdc++, on the same network, with nearly the same other features... 1- it doesn't change a thing since all leechers you want to avoid will still have means to leech the dc++ network if they want to, and 2- why encourage people to use another software which uses the same features as you and is nearly a copy of you? Would be much simplier if the combined efforts of all the dc++ projects would come up on one, better, dc++ release. Dc++ really fit my conveniance if it was not for that part. Sad you could not understand the Reason behind my arguments.

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2004-11-26 08:30

The person to convince is arne, the author. He is the one who decides what goes in and what doesn't

Also one ultimate DC client is not feasible or even desirable.
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

sidhabo

Post by sidhabo » 2004-11-26 12:18

thauzar, I've had your exact problem, only the other way around. My upload was killed when i had max download. I solved it by using an external sw. Netlimiter fixed it perfect. I was so pleased I even payed for it ....
CPU Pentium 3.1 Ghz, RAM 1 Gbyte XP Pro, SP2, all MS updates, Sygate Firewall