DC++ crash

Problems compiling? Don't understand the source code? Don't know how to code your feature? Post here.

Moderator: Moderators

Coockoo

DC++ crash

Post by Coockoo » 2004-10-21 10:37

this is not a bug report.
my dc++ (0.401) used to run for days without crashing. but in the past few days it has crashed several times. the cause of the crash is always this:

dcplusplus\windows\hubframe.cpp(328) : HubFrame::updateUser
dcplusplus\windows\hubframe.cpp(347) : HubFrame::onSpeaker
dcplusplus\windows\hubframe.h(63) : HubFrame::ProcessWindowMessage
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\vc7\atlmfc\include\atlwin.h(3017) : ATL::CWindowImplBaseT<WTL::CMDIWindow=0x01087D20,ATL::CWinTraits<1456406528=0x000081F4,64> >::WindowProc
USER32!0x77D48709 : GetDC
USER32!0x77D487EB : GetDC
USER32!0x77D489A5 : GetWindowLongW
USER32!0x77D4BCCC : DispatchMessageA
\dcplusplus-wtl7.1-src\atlapp.h(471) : WTL::CMessageLoop::Run
dcplusplus\windows\main.cpp(283) : Run

I know this is not the first time you are seeing this error (I have the previous bug reports.) in the previous posts you recommended upgrading to 0.403 or higher. I can't do that. I have changed parts of the code and I really don't feel like porting everything to the higher version (for now.) Instead, I am wondering if you can tell me what the the source of the problem is (that you have managed to fix in the higher versions.)

I tried to find the problem and this is what I found:
everytime i run dc++ in debug mode and connect to: elite-hub.no-ip.com:4242
i get the following assersion failure: dcassert(ctrlUsers.getItemData(ctrlUsers.getSortPos(ui)) == ui) (in findUser in HubFrame.cpp.)
So I think DC crashes because updateUser (in HubFrame.cpp) uses findUser to get the index to the item it needs to update and apparently findUser doesn't always return the correct item and that in turn causes DC to crash here: ctrlUsers.getItemData(i)->update();

again I am not sure if this is really the source of the problem.
please provide some feedback.

-thanks

Coockoo

Post by Coockoo » 2004-10-23 11:43

thanks for the answer...
i suppose the problem wa not solved in the higher versions either...

ullner
Forum Moderator

Post by ullner » 2004-10-23 15:28

Do a diff between your .401 and unchanged .401 and then patch it with .4034.

Coockoo

Post by Coockoo » 2004-10-23 16:12

well, lots of files have been changed from .401 to .403.
on the other hand the functions that i think are responsible for the crash have not been changed...

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-10-24 16:17

Coockoo wrote:thanks for the answer...
You want help on a version 7 months old, and 4 releases behind current?

If you can't be bothered to update, I can't be "bothered" to help you.

For future reference, use CVS to pull the latest sources, modify them, then your CVS client will take care of most of the updates to our source code for you. Not all of them, you'll still have to get your hands dirty for big changes, but it's a better system than what you have, apparently.

Coockoo

Post by Coockoo » 2004-10-25 10:27

GargoyleMT wrote:
Coockoo wrote:thanks for the answer...
If you can't be bothered to update, I can't be "bothered" to help you.
My original post roughly says: “I have a problem that seems to have been fixed in the later versions. What exactly was the cause of the problem and how can I fix it?�

Now, was the question specifically directed towards you? NO.
I expected someone who had fixed the problem or had the knowledge on how to fix the problem to answer. And that certainly is not you.
Since you posted your kind answer, I decided to update to the newest version ‘at your request.’ And hey, the problem still persists.
Since that is the case, why do you recommend people to update to higher versions (some without backward compatibility) without even looking at the problem? I described the exact scenario where dc would crash and you arrogant **** didn't even “bother� to reconstruct it before posting your comment (how hard is it to run the code (whatever version you have) in debug mode and connect to a specific server?) Does it make you feel big when you write to other people in a manner like did in your previous post?

Well, I very much doubt you are the main contributor to the dc code (which btw is very nicely written.) So, I just wasted 5 minutes of my life writing to some arrogant useless ****.

ullner
Forum Moderator

Post by ullner » 2004-10-25 10:40

Not everyone is experiencing your problem.
If you experience a crash, why don't you do the proper thing and upload the exeptionsinfo.txt to the site given?

Providing steps to reproduce the crash is aswell always helpful.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-10-25 11:20

Coockoo wrote:Now, was the question specifically directed towards you? NO.
So, in the future, I should not answer any posts on our forum that aren't directed at me? That's silly.
Coockoo wrote:I expected someone who had fixed the problem or had the knowledge on how to fix the problem to answer. And that certainly is not you.
If I had ever seen this problem, I would have fixed it, as I have done on many bugs in the past.
Coockoo wrote:Since you posted your kind answer, I decided to update to the newest version ‘at your request.’ And hey, the problem still persists.
Great. But now you have an exception log that more closely matches my code, so when trying to help you out, I don't have to guess at code changes between 0.401 and 0.4034!

So, care to post it?

Coockoo wrote:Well, I very much doubt you are the main contributor to the dc code (which btw is very nicely written.) So, I just wasted 5 minutes of my life writing to some arrogant useless ****.
Grep for yourself. Lately, I'm credited as "garg." My earliest contributions are under my own name, Todd Pederzani.

- Todd

Coockoo

Post by Coockoo » 2004-10-27 05:59

GargoyleMT wrote:
Coockoo wrote:Now, was the question specifically directed towards you? NO.
So, in the future, I should not answer any posts on our forum that aren't directed at me? That's silly.
Are playing dumb or just plain dumb??
Re-read my previous post and if you still don’t get the point, try taking one of those remedial reading courses offered at a community college nearest to you!
GargoyleMT wrote:
Coockoo wrote:I expected someone who had fixed the problem or had the knowledge on how to fix the problem to answer. And that certainly is not you.
If I had ever seen this problem, I would have fixed it, as I have done on many bugs in the past.
I doubt it. 'You' couldn't fix it even if you wanted to...
GargoyleMT wrote:
Coockoo wrote:Since you posted your kind answer, I decided to update to the newest version ‘at your request.’ And hey, the problem still persists.
Great. But now you have an exception log that more closely matches my code, so when trying to help you out, I don't have to guess at code changes between 0.401 and 0.4034!

So, care to post it?
I have already posted it. Haven’t I?
And YES, if you want me to repost it in some other bug report section of the forum. I posted my first question here and I got the very kind answer of yours. I think that is good enough for me. I’ll probably try to fix it myself if I ever find the time for it…
GargoyleMT wrote:
Coockoo wrote:Well, I very much doubt you are the main contributor to the dc code (which btw is very nicely written.) So, I just wasted 5 minutes of my life writing to some arrogant useless ****.
Grep for yourself. Lately, I'm credited as "garg." My earliest contributions are under my own name, Todd Pederzani.

- Todd
I don’t consider someone who changes icons and fixes minor bugs to be ‘the main contributor’ to the code. Gush…

So I was wrong… you are not really arrogant… just pompous.

p.s. i know this is probably my last post here because i ‘insulted’ a mod. that's sad but i don’t really care…

.Sulan.

Post by .Sulan. » 2004-10-27 06:26

just try to comment out

Code: Select all

dcassert(ctrlUsers.getItemData(ctrlUsers.getSortPos(ui)) == ui) 

Coockoo

Post by Coockoo » 2004-10-27 06:46

.Sulan. wrote:just try to comment out

dcassert(ctrlUsers.getItemData(ctrlUsers.getSortPos(ui)) == ui) 
lol... nice one :wink:

Sedulus
Forum Moderator

Post by Sedulus » 2004-10-27 07:46

insults never get you far, Coockoo

MT told you to upgrade, because the bug in question might have been fixed (intentionally or unintentionally.. you never know if the bug was a sideeffect of something that _is_ mentioned in the changelog). at no point did he insult you.

now.. as far as this goes:
Since you posted your kind answer, I decided to update to the newest version ?at your request.? And hey, the problem still persists.
okay, now your bug can be taken seriously
[14:38:34] *** Connecting to elite-hub.no-ip.com:4242...
[14:38:34] *** Connected
[14:38:35] <FreedomFighter> A hubon a Verlihub 0.9.5 alpha rc9 ('DCH++, ments meg minket' Edition) verzio fut (0 nap 12 ora 49 perce).
[14:38:35] <FreedomFighter> Hibas nicknev: [rug.nl]sed2
A nick elott legyen [HUN] elotag szogletes zarojelben csupa nagybetuvel. Ha megvagy, varunk vissza. Koszi.
[14:38:35] *** Disconnected
what a stupid rule (in hungarian?) to force everyone to have the same tag...
anyways.. I'm in the hub.. bcdc++ svn570 is still running fine.. so.. no luck there

edit: I'm still considering moving your uncalled for insults to the hall of shame.
http://dc.selwerd.nl/hublist.xml.bz2
http://www.b.ali.btinternet.co.uk/DCPlusPlus/index.html (TheParanoidOne's DC++ Guide)
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/dc (BSOD2600's Direct Connect FAQ)

Todi
Forum Moderator

Post by Todi » 2004-10-27 07:46

Nice, Hall of Fame filling. Can't get enough of those..

Coockoo

Post by Coockoo » 2004-10-27 09:17

Sedulus wrote:okay, now your bug can be taken seriously
[14:38:34] *** Connecting to elite-hub.no-ip.com:4242...
[14:38:34] *** Connected
[14:38:35] <FreedomFighter> A hubon a Verlihub 0.9.5 alpha rc9 ('DCH++, ments meg minket' Edition) verzio fut (0 nap 12 ora 49 perce).
[14:38:35] <FreedomFighter> Hibas nicknev: [rug.nl]sed2
A nick elott legyen [HUN] elotag szogletes zarojelben csupa nagybetuvel. Ha megvagy, varunk vissza. Koszi.
[14:38:35] *** Disconnected
what a stupid rule (in hungarian?) to force everyone to have the same tag...
anyways.. I'm in the hub.. bcdc++ svn570 is still running fine.. so.. no luck there

edit: I'm still considering moving your uncalled for insults to the hall of shame.
i know.. i've always hated hun hubs.. that rule is nothing compared to some of their more absurd rules.. i only log into that hub because it has more users...

as i said it in my original post. the crash doesn't happen all the time.. you might even have to wait a day.. i don't know.. but the assertion failure in debug mode almost always happens. did you try running the code in debug mode? do you get that assertion failure? could that be relevant to the crash?

As for your hall of shame thing:
i really don't see what is shameful about my comment. mine is only an appropriate response to the harsh worded earlier response of his. I consider it to be more shameful when mods (programmers?!) like him try to boost their self-esteem by lashing at others, the so called 'newbies.' i am not specifically talking about his response to my post (although it was hardly polite.) i am referring to his previous posts in other threads. in most of his posts he assumes he is god and the person asking the question is just plain stupid. And most of the time his only contribution to the thread is intimidation of the person who asked the question. i think you should make a hall of shame for mods like him as well (i.e. if he is a mode…)

I still consider this (the dc forum) to be a relatively nice community (aside from people like him.)

.Sulan.

Post by .Sulan. » 2004-10-27 09:49

I could try to help you if you ask really nice...

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-10-27 09:55

Coockoo wrote:I consider it to be more shameful when mods (programmers?!) like him try to boost their self-esteem by lashing at others, the so called 'newbies.' i am not specifically talking about his response to my post (although it was hardly polite.) i am referring to his previous posts in other threads. in most of his posts he assumes he is god and the person asking the question is just plain stupid.
I'll reflect upon your criticisms.

Participating in this forum does nothing for my self esteem. If you've read many of my posts, surely you've noticed when I've been hesitant when I'm not sure that I know what the answer to a user's question is. I don't think I'm God, or a god. And I certainly don't bandy about my association with DC++ as if it's some big accomplishment that people should be impressed by.

It seems that I made a mistake in trying to dish you out a little sarcasm ("If you can't be bothered to update...") in response to your own ("thanks for the answer").

Coockoo wrote:I have already posted it. Haven’t I?
Yes, but in my copy of (CVS) HubFrame.cpp, line 328 is

bool HubFrame::updateUser(const User::Ptr& u) {
So the line number doesn't really help.

If you see the problem, even intermittently, I suggest inserting some logging code (perhaps using LogManager::getInstance()->message(...)) in place of the assertion failure in findUser(). That ought to help supply enough information so we can guess what's malfunctioning. If it was an easy problem to fix, I'm sure you wouldn't have posted here.

Coockoo

Post by Coockoo » 2004-10-27 10:06

.Sulan. wrote:I could try to help you if you ask really nice...
thanks. but i doubt it if you really think that removing that assert line is gonna help.
still, if you really think you know what causes the crash (not how to get rid of the assertion failure,) then please point out where the problem is.

.Sulan.

Post by .Sulan. » 2004-10-27 11:18

Ohh i was tired and the forum was laggy so i had some troubbles posting, it didnt turn out as supposed...