User Ban Feature

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

LS7

User Ban Feature

Post by LS7 » 2004-10-24 11:11

It would be nice to see a way to ban certain users from accessing your shares. Some people don't seem to understand the concept of file sharing and disconnect others to maintain their download speeds, or playing favorites, or for whatever reason. Personally, I never disconnect anybody from downloading. If the speed is low, that's their problem and I just let them go. They're the one who has to wait all that time. It would be nice to be able to ban them from your shares though.
Last edited by LS7 on 2004-10-24 12:12, edited 1 time in total.
There is no gravity....... the earth just sucks.
If you think nothing is impossible, try getting the toothpaste back into the tube.

PseudonympH
Forum Moderator

Post by PseudonympH » 2004-10-24 11:35

No. If a user is misbehaving, have the ops kick him/her.

LS7

Post by LS7 » 2004-10-24 12:23

No...... as in you won't consider it?? You are one of the writers? How many people here have tried to get a hold of an OP and could not? That's happened many times, and not just to me. I've watched chat windows with people asking for an OP over and over again. I'm sure there could be some code like, 3 consecutive disconnects with open slots will allow you to use the feature. That way it can't be abused. You know, I'm not talking about banning that person from the hub, just the user that wants to use the features client. Whatever. Thought it might be a good feature, although a reason, not "tell somebody else" would've been more appropriate.

Later
If you think nothing is impossible, try getting the toothpaste back into the tube.

Todi
Forum Moderator

Re: User Ban Feature

Post by Todi » 2004-10-24 12:57

LS7 wrote:Some people don't seem to understand the concept of file sharing
Yeah, i know.. and they even have the nerve to suggest features to block other people from downloading from them... unbelievable.

madman2003

Post by madman2003 » 2004-10-24 14:17

You can always block someone at your firewall if you absolutely need to.

Madman2003.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-10-24 15:16

LS7 wrote:No...... as in you won't consider it?? You are one of the writers?
Yes, and.. yes.

Blocking users who are downloading from you is not a good feature to have in DC++. If you imagine yourself in our shoes, you'll understand why.

Operators are there for a reason, if they don't share your idea of "sharing," it is time to find another hub.

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2004-10-24 15:40

LS7 wrote:I've watched chat windows with people asking for an OP over and over again.
Time to find a new hub, methinks.
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

LS7

Post by LS7 » 2004-10-24 15:45

Nah, time to go back to the FTP sites. Not as much crap, and much safer. Didn't mean to cause such an uproar though. Like I said, I don't disconnect anyone, but maybe it's time to play the same game.

Later

cologic
Programmer

Post by cologic » 2004-10-24 15:51

Safe from whom?

The copyright enforcement agencies appear not to try to download files, for in at least one case, fakeclient usage hasn't prevented twice being targetted, despite being unable to upload files.

It also seems unconnected to this thread. Are you insinuating that what, people who cut of your transfers are more likely to be from said institutions?

LS7

Post by LS7 » 2004-10-24 16:04

First off, all I did was make a suggestion, which is what this forum is all about. Second, the government and copyright agencies don't d/l files, they go after the file list. Sometimes directly form you, and sometimes from the hub if the hub is using a bot to check file lists for banned software, images, etc.
As far as insinuating anything, I have no idea how you came up with that.

As far as this statement goes
Yeah, i know.. and they even have the nerve to suggest features to block other people from downloading from them... unbelievable
EAT S__T

You don't want to hear it...don't ask!!
BYE

cologic
Programmer

Post by cologic » 2004-10-24 16:13

I'm trying to interpret "not as much crap, and much safer". Maybe they're unrelated to this thread, maybe this thread is an example of the crap to which you refer, and I'm not sure what safety has to do with it. One somewhat plausible reading is of suspicion of those disconnecting you - it's all rather unclear.

You're free, of course, to use or not use DC and FTP, but that particular statement seemed to be thrown out without explanation.

Edit: typo.

Todi
Forum Moderator

Post by Todi » 2004-10-25 00:57

LS7 wrote:As far as this statement goes
Yeah, i know.. and they even have the nerve to suggest features to block other people from downloading from them... unbelievable
EAT S__T

You don't want to hear it...don't ask!!
BYE
As fascinating as i find your eating habits, it would be interesting to see how can motivate solving a problem of people not allowing you to download from them by doing the same thing, and thinking this would solve the issue of people not sharing?

Enigmator

Post by Enigmator » 2004-10-27 05:57

I've been reading this post and it's comments. I can see why LS7 might get sort of pissed off. He asked a simple question,(which is what this forum is for)and the answer he got didn't explain anything. You people just took off and started insinuating he disconnects users, and basically copped an attitude, all for asking a legitimate question. I to have this problem and understand what he means, but I to would not stand for this. I happen to know who this guy is and he doesn't deserve this. He's been doing this since the days of nothing but Bulletin Boards you had to dial into. He helped assemble a group of BBs into a network in this region, specificaly geared to sharing software between multiple users. The guy has over 200gig of up to date software, not MP3s and not huge 7gig movies, 200gig of software. He's helped out many people on the hubs, and help set me up. If I had the option to ban users, I most definitely would use it, and have. LS7, if you come back to this forum, which I highly doubt, but if you do, check out ODC. It has a feature similar to what you are looking for. As for you guys, I only needed this account to say what I had to say. Even your forum has problems, I registered this account at 6:45 am on October 25 and got the authorization October 27. You got to change that word "shortly" to something more accurate like, "someday you will recieve an authorization". It can be canceled now. I won't be back, and I don't use the problematic DC++, although LS7 tried on numerous occasions to get me to use it. Now after seeing this I am beginning to see why your client seems to have multiple problems carried through multiple versions. You guys can bad mouth me all you want, it seems that is what you do best, don't matter though. Go ahead, prove me wrong, I'll bet that some smart ass comment will follow this post. Like I said though, I'll never know. See ya in the hubs LS7.....hopefully with a different client. I hate to say it but, I told you so.

[NL]Pur
Programmer

Post by [NL]Pur » 2004-10-27 07:18

Why don't you start your own hub,

then your an operator and can start banning ppl you don't like :P

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-10-27 10:22

Enigmator wrote:You people just took off and started insinuating he disconnects users, and basically copped an attitude, all for asking a legitimate question. ... I happen to know who this guy is and he doesn't deserve this.
You're right, he said he never disconnects users, but he would like to ban them from (presumably) his share.

I don't know LS7. In your opinion, this feature would be fine for him. That's fair.

DC++ is used by a lot of people, will you place the same trust in all of them?

That's part of what we have to keep in mind.

Enigmator wrote:Even your forum has problems, I registered this account at 6:45 am on October 25 and got the authorization October 27. You got to change that word "shortly" to something more accurate like, "someday you will recieve an authorization".
I'm sorry you had problems with our hosting. It's provided by sourceforge, which has some scaling issues occasionally with email and the web cluster. I'll look into how the forum sends mail and see if there's a noticable delay that I can file a support request against.

Lennholm

Post by Lennholm » 2004-12-07 09:07

This sounds like it would be the sharefakers dream. Imagine this feature would exist. A person share over 100 GiB's, enter a hub with minimum share of 100 GiB's. This person blocks EVERY USER in the hub, except for op's. Then he just appears to share 100 GiB's, in fact he shares nothing. And this completely legitimate due to this feature. I'm not saying you would do this, but surely some creeps would.