Incomplete files and download folders

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

lewder

Incomplete files and download folders

Post by lewder » 2004-10-16 09:34

Make a way to disable the .dctmp files. I always add mp3s that i d/l in winamp playlist just a sec after i started d/l them. Same goes for movies sometimes, start to d/l and start to watch at the same time. And how friggin fun is it to rename the .dctmp files to their native extension and then move them to the correct place. Bah this .dctmp sucks big time, please remove it.
When i die i want to be buried face-down so anyone that doesn't like me can kiss my ass.

PseudonympH
Forum Moderator

Post by PseudonympH » 2004-10-16 09:52

Any good media player should not need the extension to play a video/audio stream. As much as I like winamp, that is a huge fault in its design.

opriema

Post by opriema » 2004-10-17 02:44

Yeah, please remove these dctmp-change.
I need to see the download-status. sometimes
i like to pre-listen to the mp3-files, to hear if the song
is the right one. now its a little bit long winded.

besides DC++ rules! It´s an essential part of my life ;) Thank you!

Xan1977
Forum Moderator

Post by Xan1977 » 2004-10-17 03:13

opriema wrote:Yeah, please remove these dctmp-change.
Nah, lets not.
opriema wrote:i like to pre-listen to the mp3-files, to hear if the song
Preview should still work.

opriema

Post by opriema » 2004-10-17 05:03

Where´s the use of it? Don´t see it?

And how works the preview..?

Lundis

Post by Lundis » 2004-10-17 05:36

opriema wrote:Where´s the use of it? Don´t see it?
So that OPs can kick you easier if you share them. Very useful indeed casue in previous versions it was very hard just to find a small portion of incomplete downloads, Now we can find all of them.
opriema wrote:And how works the preview..?
Right click on the file and select open with... and chose winamp or another media player.

lewder

Post by lewder » 2004-10-17 06:56

PseudonympH wrote:Any good media player should not need the extension to play a video/audio stream. As much as I like winamp, that is a huge fault in its design.
Doesnt matter really because windows cannot move/rename files that are in use.
When i die i want to be buried face-down so anyone that doesn't like me can kiss my ass.

bolamix

Post by bolamix » 2004-10-17 08:40

Why all this yak-yakin' about the .dctmp? How about you learn a little patience and wait until a file is downloaded before playing it? In my experience, there is almost always something to do while dc++ is downloading... 8) And with the big HDs and broadband we get now, it's a breeze to download files, look at them and trash them if you don't like them.

Edit: juste my 0.6 €, don't wanna cause offence ;)

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-10-18 10:29

lewder wrote:Doesnt matter really because windows cannot move/rename files that are in use.
Actually, that's the point. You don't need to rename a file to get some media players to view it. They look at the contents of the file, and guess which type it is. So, with the right player, no move/renaming is needed.

opriema

Post by opriema » 2004-10-18 13:50

and how about movies?

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-10-18 13:53

opriema wrote:and how about movies?
What about them? Video players are even more used to guessing type by looking at content, after all, users cluelessly rename .AVI to .MPG and vice versa

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Post by Guitarm » 2004-10-18 13:54

Same thing, no renaming or moving necessary, just get a decent player - VLC for example (choose the latest one)

http://vthr.via.ecp.fr/~videolan/build/win32/
"Nothing really happens fast. Everything happens at such a rate that by the time it happens, it all seems normal."

lewder

Post by lewder » 2004-10-21 14:42

GargoyleMT wrote:
opriema wrote:and how about movies?
What about them? Video players are even more used to guessing type by looking at content, after all, users cluelessly rename .AVI to .MPG and vice versa
So what ? You still get a mediafile with wrong extension, .dctmp, because dc++ can't rename a file that's _in use_ which is my point.

With recent versions of dc++ i just started a D/L and began watching the movie as the download proceeded and the file would eventually be done and no renaming of extension was ever needed.

Stmated

Post by Stmated » 2004-10-21 15:25

Why keep on arguing about something that's here to stay. The new extension for incomplete files does not hinder media in any way if you use the right tools, if your software can't use customized extensions, then you should consider changing the player of your choice.

The extension feature is there for administrative, and other, purposes, it's not built to annoy you. Stay where you are and endure it, or change player and have no problems.

lewder

Post by lewder » 2004-10-21 15:34

Stmated wrote:Why keep on arguing about something that's here to stay. The new extension for incomplete files does not hinder media in any way if you use the right tools, if your software can't use customized extensions, then you should consider changing the player of your choice.

The extension feature is there for administrative, and other, purposes, it's not built to annoy you. Stay where you are and endure it, or change player and have no problems.
Yeah and im sure you know that files that are in use or locked by the system has nothing to do with the choice of mediaplayer.

Stmated

Post by Stmated » 2004-10-21 15:44

it doesn't?
*checks what files he's downloading*
*opens a running file with VLC*
hmm, strange, I must be seeing an illusion then... :oops: ... but... the video looks so real when it moves.

Locked I don't know about, but I guess you're talking about files who are in-use.

And besides, this thread is about getting rid of the .dctmp extension, and I believe the extension has nothing to do with windows not being able to rename it while running. But I see you argument is:
You still get a mediafile with wrong extension, .dctmp, because dc++ can't rename a file that's _in use_ which is my point.
But as most people have already said in this thread: You don't need to rename it, just use a player that reads the content, and not the actual extension.

lewder

Post by lewder » 2004-10-21 16:01

Stmated wrote:it doesn't?
*checks what files he's downloading*
*opens a running file with VLC*
hmm, strange, I must be seeing an illusion then... :oops: ... but... the video looks so real when it moves.
Sure it does, but name one mediaplayer in win32 that allows windows move the file to another location while it's playing.

But, let this discussion come to an end. I get your point, you hopefully get mine. And by this time i've already changed dc client so this talk is not very relevant from my side anyway. Just shared my point of view.

Sedulus
Forum Moderator

Post by Sedulus » 2004-10-21 16:05

Stmated wrote:
You still get a mediafile with wrong extension, .dctmp, because dc++ can't rename a file that's _in use_ which is my point.
But as most people have already said in this thread: You don't need to rename it, just use a player that reads the content, and not the actual extension.
well.. actually.. the problem is that the dctmp file cannot be renamed when DC++ is _done_ downloading _if_ the file currently is being viewed
see e.g.: DownloadManager::FileMover::run

Code: Select all

try {
                        File::renameFile(next.first, next.second);
                } catch(const FileException&) {
                        // Too bad...
                }
this is a windows limitation.. before the .dctmp extension, the files already had garbage letters added to them.. so.. now you get a file with the wrong extension, but before, you got a file with the wrong name. equally bad. thus, your argument is flawed.

note that DC++ will copy files that are not movable. so the only thing you need to do, is clean out your unfinished downloads directory now and then.

Code: Select all

static void renameFile(const string& source, const string& target) throw(FileException) {
                if(!::MoveFile(Text::toT(source).c_str(), Text::toT(target).c_str())) {
                        // Can't move, try copy/delete...
                        if(!CopyFile(Text::toT(source).c_str(), Text::toT(target).c_str(), FALSE)) {
                                throw FileException(Util::translateError(GetLastError()));
                        }
                        deleteFile(source);
                }
        }
http://dc.selwerd.nl/hublist.xml.bz2
http://www.b.ali.btinternet.co.uk/DCPlusPlus/index.html (TheParanoidOne's DC++ Guide)
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/dc (BSOD2600's Direct Connect FAQ)

lewder

Post by lewder » 2004-10-21 16:13

Sedulus wrote: this is a windows limitation.. before the .dctmp extension, the files already had garbage letters added to them.. so.. now you get a file with the wrong extension, but before, you got a file with the wrong name. equally bad. thus, your argument is flawed.
No, my argument is perfectly fine.
Before .dctmp there was an option of not having dc++ store incomplete files in a different place than the actual download folder = no garbage letters added.

damn_registrations

Post by damn_registrations » 2004-10-23 11:27

I have a very small windows partition (which I don't want to resize for several reasons). I have my download directory in another bigger partition. My problem is that the .dctmp files are saved on the small windows partition making XP scream "Low disc space" every other second. Thus I would be able to disable the .dctmp files so all files are downloaded directly to my download directory in the bigger partition. And no... install dc++ to the bigger partition is not an accepted solution.

As it is now DC++ v0434 is completely useless since every time i download a large file it hangs and complains on low disc space. Therefore i have been forced to install an older version instead.

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2004-10-23 12:27

Why not point the unfinished downloads folder to your larger partition?
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

damn_registrations

Post by damn_registrations » 2004-10-23 14:05

Have already tried that. DC++ still created the .dctmp files in the install directory on the windows partition.

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2004-10-23 14:34

Note that changing either of the directories in the downloads section will only affect new downloads. Existing downloads will still download to the original location. You have to change the paths manually in Queue.xml.
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

vileda

Post by vileda » 2004-10-28 05:42

I have many HD partitions and store different type of files on each. With only *one* temp folder, it's quite annoying to download a biig file (>700MB) first to a temp folder, and after that dc++ copies it to the real location on some other partition. This slows down the OS (windows) quite much.

I have a suggestion: the possibility to add more than one download locations in settings - and *also* separate the temporary folders (of course user can change these too).

PseudonympH
Forum Moderator

Post by PseudonympH » 2004-10-28 14:54

My system is set up like this and I hardly notice a thing. The good thing is that the moving also helps to defragment the files.