Client/Server Features

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

EzekielLinux

Client/Server Features

Post by EzekielLinux » 2003-01-04 00:57

I was wondering what features does the DC community want that would require changes in the server and the client. Now changes like this might take alot more effort and cooperation among the different dc client/server developers but if it can be done then what would you guys want? Things to take into consideration is bandwidth, dependencies, cpu load, etc... Of course these would have to be nice little features that are only available with certain versions of clients and servers at first.

Djurmamman

Post by Djurmamman » 2003-01-04 03:29

Quicklist.
Read here for more info http://forum.dcstats.net/showthread.php?threadid=220
[url=dchub://ancient.myftp.org]ancient.myftp.org - [BBB][Sunet][Tele2] ONLY! @ 20GB (ISP/IP/Share Scripted)[/url]

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2003-01-04 04:45

i could mention a client-client chat that would mimic the dcc-chat beahviour from IRC.

No one has written a ref for it yet but i think it will be done sometime in the future.
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.

joazito

Post by joazito » 2003-01-06 05:46

DCC-send would be even more useful while you're at it. I can't even count the times I had to go on IRC just to send a file that isn't in my share... sure I could add it to the share, refresh and then remove it... not forgetting to grant an extra slot to the guy... but come on! that's a lot more trouble.

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2003-01-06 06:38

chatrooms that are availabel in some hubsoftware. This is usually done in scripts/bots these days.

A mainchat with 1200 users where 100 is active will turn into kaos
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.

joazito

Post by joazito » 2003-01-06 08:10

OK OK OK This would be a *GREAT* feature!!! Just listen:

Every user would be intitled to a "requests list" and "offline stuff list". These would be searchable and downloadable in the same way as the existing user file list, albeit independently.

I mean... Wouldn't it be great? What I have shared online is but a fraction of my total stuff, as happens with everyone. These would lead to these advantages:

- That near-impossible stuff to find would finally be obtainable;
- If I wanted to get a slot from someone very badly, I could check his request list for something I might have;

I mean... it would be AWESOME! Ahh too bad it probably will never be implemented...

LinkSync

I've said this before...

Post by LinkSync » 2003-01-26 13:21

Make all the chat go P2P, To offload this function from the Hub.

Allow users to chose there own colors and fonts, so they appear that way to others when chatting.
This makes it very easy to track conversations when a hub gets busy with alot of cross talk

once this P2P path is inplace its alot more easy to add things like DCC send and DCC chat (even multiple user chats)

If u dont beleive me go to downloads.com and get the Tesla client (Filetopia). Its all been done in there already. Fantastic!
Also its totaly encrypted! even the chat.

Only problems with them is they are a bit fascist and can take your hubs or ban u from the network whenever they wish. And they have stability problems (which in DC we wouldnt see as we are one server at a time not a server network). Also they are not open source as the "owner/programmer" makes money from his shopping link.....pfffft (so much for the talk of a free net :( ).

Think about it! Go check it out for your self and see what I'm talking about.
TREEHOUSE.dns2go.com:411
[email protected]
Good Warez LINKS @ www.tree-house.info