Auto /refresh when file not available

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

TheekAzzaBreek

Auto /refresh when file not available

Post by TheekAzzaBreek » 2003-01-07 15:43

I would like this both as a comfortable feature and a stop to a common way of cheating (they just rename the shared folder).

OLDoMiNiON

Post by OLDoMiNiON » 2003-01-07 16:00

good idea, dunno how it would work however...

Iceman[grrrr]
Forum Moderator

Post by Iceman[grrrr] » 2003-01-07 17:12

it could be an extension to the protocol... you just send a particulat message if the other client support it (DC++ client only) and the refresh is done!

it is a good idea... wonder what Arne thinks about it!
DC++ QoS Person

ender

Post by ender » 2003-01-07 17:17

Here's a pretty simple way to implement it:
if the user requests a file that should be available (is on DC++'s internal sharelist), but DC++ can't open it, DC++ should automatically refresh the share and reply that the file isn't available
if a user requests a file that isn't on DC++'s internal filelist, DC++ should just reply that the file is not shared.

this way the user's filelist is always accurate, and there's no way that he'd be refreshing the share over and over again (unless he kept removing the files, and people wanted exactly hte file that he just removed)

maniak

Post by maniak » 2003-01-07 17:27

OLDoMiNiON wrote:good idea, dunno how it would work however...
Quite simple in fact. This feature was discussed in the old forums a bit.

The idea is that when some user requests some file and the file is not found in the place it had been when DC++ was started, program would refresh the file list like "/refresh" command. That's easy part of it.
The tricky part is that it would have to be somehow limited or it might get turned into DoS tool (it takes some time to scan the disk for files, imagine it running again and again and again and...). Maybe setting like "no more than once in xx minutes"?

Anyway it is useful idea. With that you could move your files around (like organizing them properly) without having to remember to refresh the list or getting accused of fakesharing. Bonus is, it would make some types of fakesharing a bit harder (like renaming shared directory after filelist is prepared).
Jack Valenti and the MPAA are to technology as the Boston strangler is to the woman home alone. (karb on /.)

ender

Post by ender » 2003-01-07 17:55

maniak wrote:The tricky part is that it would have to be somehow limited or it might get turned into DoS tool (it takes some time to scan the disk for files, imagine it running again and again and again and...). Maybe setting like "no more than once in xx minutes"?
It's not tricky at all - if the share was refreshed, all files should be there (if a file that isn't shared is requested, the share shouldn't be refreshed) - this way automatic refresh could only turn into a DoS tool if the user kept removing the files from his share (quite unlikely).

maniak

Post by maniak » 2003-01-07 18:13

ender wrote:It's not tricky at all - if the share was refreshed, all files should be there
Maybe I should say "should be coded carefully"? If it first checks if such file was supposed to be shared at all, there should be no danger.
Jack Valenti and the MPAA are to technology as the Boston strangler is to the woman home alone. (karb on /.)

joazito

Post by joazito » 2003-01-08 06:53

Hmm... this would be a good way to stop fakers... but... I guess they would just stick to older versions. Or use one of those fake-sharing tools. So... a nice feature which I think should be an optional one (I like keeping deleted stuff in my share, not for fake-sharing purposes, but because ppl will see I have it and may request for me to put it online)

LinkSync

Dynamic Shares List

Post by LinkSync » 2003-01-26 03:11

In Tesla (aka Filetopia) available at downloads.com they have a dynamic list type (they call it cmd) which "watches" your shared list and modifies it as u do locally. Any additions or subtractions or renames within shared list gets followed and will be in the list another user d/ls.
It was intended to keep it easier for servers but it works good to help help defeat leechers. which is a bummer maybe as i am a leech and proud of it! i mean all u guys with the huge lists are too! ADMIT IT!
lol
TREEHOUSE.dns2go.com:411
[email protected]
Good Warez LINKS @ www.tree-house.info