Column selection for the GUI

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

eldanor

Column selection for the GUI

Post by eldanor » 2004-05-20 06:27

I think an easy to implement feature is the possibility of selecting wich columns to show/hide in the different lists. I mean, not all of us want the IP or path of file shown in the down/up list, or the email or description in the users list.

This would be an easy, but useful feature to add.

Bye!

Naga

Post by Naga » 2004-05-20 07:46

If it's easy why don't you make the change and send a patch?
Thanks to all open source programmers!
They enable the rest of us to learn a lot!

Todi
Forum Moderator

Post by Todi » 2004-05-20 08:55

Hey guess what, it's so easy that it already exists! Just hold and drag the column until it's not visible, and you won't see it! Wow.. amazing what technology can do for ya.

Wisp

Post by Wisp » 2004-05-20 10:05

Todi wrote:Hey guess what, it's so easy that it already exists! Just hold and drag the column until it's not visible, and you won't see it! Wow.. amazing what technology can do for ya.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: Column selection for the GUI

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-05-20 10:58

eldanor wrote:This would be an easy, but useful feature to add.
Saving column sizes and orders is pretty "easy", but in looking through the class functions for the listview that the WTL provides, I haven''t see any function to simply turn off different columns (this feature has been on my nice-to-have list since I started contributing to DC++).

Yes, the feature looks simple, and is a low-level feature (that many people wouldn't notice - but would be appreciated by those who did), but that does not translate into ease of coding.

I bet your heart is in the right place, but please don't make such unwarranted assumptions. :(

eldanor

Thanks for your reply, GargoyleMT

Post by eldanor » 2004-05-20 13:44

To Gargoyle:
Well, I haven't coded listviews with WTL, I've done it with VB and C#, and I thought it would be as easy as with them. I can assure you it wasn't my intention to underestimate your work, but my english is not good and maybe you misunderstood the mood of the message. Forgive me if it was the case. :)

To Naga:
This is a feature _suggestion_ forum, if I know how or want to add that feature, I will use the Developers forum, not this one.

Todi:
Dont be sarcastic please, I know how to move and resize columns, but little details are what makes big things, remember that.

Bye

Todi
Forum Moderator

Re: Thanks for your reply, GargoyleMT

Post by Todi » 2004-05-20 16:16

eldanor wrote:Dont be sarcastic please
but.. but.. then i won't have anything to say :cry:

I get your point, and sure it has merit.. it was just that it's already so easy to do by resizing the columns, i couldn't resist. Don't be discouraged by my sarcasm ;)