a "who wants to dl from me" window

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

0ne

a "who wants to dl from me" window

Post by 0ne » 2004-03-17 03:36

Hi

1/ I was thinking about a feature (not very usefull) that would add a window with the name of the people who want to download from me, like the search spy (but in less funny).(I hope i was clear enough).

2/ another litte request : some stats like amount of data up/dl by user,total time connection to hub,total dc++ uptime,avg. speed,...

3/ A search fonction in the notepad and in the main chat would be great.

4/ A "google" function : you right click on a word or on a selection,you choose "google" from the contextual menu and it open the browser with the result of the search.

5/ And the last one (i think i've saw something similar in feature tracker): when downloading a filelist it would be good if a little text file could be displayed (1-2 kB should be fine).It would gave more information than the description field.

6/ And finally : thanx for your great work guys !

7/ Sorry for mistakes i'm french

PseudonympH
Forum Moderator

Post by PseudonympH » 2004-03-17 16:38

#1: been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Mods such as BCDC++ do have support for this, though. The problem is that because of the way the protocol is structured, there's no way to have an actual upload queue, making everything simply a free-for-all.

As for #4, that's already implemented. Just type /g <query> in a hub window and it will open up your browser. Granted, it's a bit harder than right-clicking, but not really a big deal.

Twink

Post by Twink » 2004-03-17 17:19

PseudonympH wrote:#1: been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Mods such as BCDC++ do have support for this, though. The problem is that because of the way the protocol is structured, there's no way to have an actual upload queue, making everything simply a free-for-all.
Yes but he wasn't asking for a upload queue, just a list of people trying to download off him. Which bcdc does fine.

5/ Why not just ask people to share text files with a bigger description? I really dont see the point.

3/ yeah that could be handy

0ne

Post by 0ne » 2004-03-17 17:39

/g ? i didn't knew that... that's a nice feature

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2004-03-17 18:29

0ne wrote:/g ? i didn't knew that... that's a nice feature
If you check the changelog, you'll find others.

I'm thinking they should all be in the readme though ...
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: a "who wants to dl from me" window

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-03-18 19:38

0ne wrote:And the last one (i think i've saw something similar in feature tracker): when downloading a filelist it would be good if a little text file could be displayed (1-2 kB should be fine).It would gave more information than the description field.
I don't get this. Why do you want an extended description in your file list? What sort of information would you like to put into it.

All of the rest of your features, I believe, have been mentioned before, or are in the feature tracker. Thanks for bringing them up and making them fresh in everyone's mind. :)

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-03-18 19:42

PseudonympH wrote:The problem is that because of the way the protocol is structured, there's no way to have an actual upload queue, making everything simply a free-for-all.
There's no protocol impediment to creating an upload queue in a DC client. You can maintain your own local upload queue, but it's hard/impossible (aka nobody has done this yet) to give the remote user, in a non-queue aware client, receive any progress on their queueing status.

Now, if you try to make the queue per-file it is going to cause more trouble, since DC clients (generally) only try to download one file, and disconnect if they get the no-slots-free message. Or maybe it's the uploader that disconnects the user after he sends the no free slots message. So, if you want to give someone a slot for "George's State of the Union 2004.avi" file, and they have a mess of other files queued from you, it's impossible to force them to ask for that file.

I guess it depends on how you want to define an upload queue... I'm a fan of them myself, but have been satisfied with BCDC's upload queue (though MTDC's had more features, but also had some instability and glitches).

0ne

Re: a "who wants to dl from me" window

Post by 0ne » 2004-03-19 04:04

GargoyleMT wrote: I don't get this. Why do you want an extended description in your file list? What sort of information would you like to put into it.

All of the rest of your features, I believe, have been mentioned before, or are in the feature tracker. Thanks for bringing them up and making them fresh in everyone's mind. :)
In this text file I would like to tell some things because in my share there are a lot of XCD MKV files,and people often ask how to read/burn my files (a XCD is a 800MB file which can be burned on a 700MB cd in mode2,and a lot of people don't know what is MKV).

For the upload queue i knew it was impossible to get the filename (i read it somewhere some times ago) but just a list of people asking for slots would be great.

PseudonympH
Forum Moderator

Post by PseudonympH » 2004-03-19 15:22

Just share a folder called "information on mkv" with the text file in it or something. It's not pretty, but it works. If the file is <16k (it really should be) then they'll be able to get it without having to ask for a slot.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-03-22 19:07

PseudonympH wrote:Just share a folder called "information on mkv" with the text file in it or something. It's not pretty, but it works. If the file is <16k (it really should be) then they'll be able to get it without having to ask for a slot.
One, PseduonympH's way is the way to do it. If people can't google to find out about Matroska video files... That's an education issue that you can address by some informatively named directories and PDF/TXT/HTML files.
One wrote:For the upload queue i knew it was impossible to get the filename (i read it somewhere some times ago) but just a list of people asking for slots would be great.
If that's the impression you've received from my post, I'm sorry. You can keep track of both the username and filename for all files that someone has requested from you. It's a safe guess that all such files are in their download queue, though there might be a great deal more (perhaps they put some on High Priority). I suggest you download BCDC and look at the upload queue it offers.