New MultiSource Client

Know of something that might be useful to the DC community? Post it here! (Still, no advertising)

Moderator: Moderators

IntraDream

New MultiSource Client

Post by IntraDream » 2003-12-12 14:43

Yep thats right spammin the dc++ forums with my client :lol:
when you hear intradream I know your all thinkin fake but IDC2.0
is a complete rewrite with no faking. and it has some nice features like auto connect and the most noticable multisource transfers.

See it here : http://www.intradream.com/Downloads/IDC2.jpg

Get it here : http://www.intradream.com/Downloads/IDC2.msi

(case sensitive server)

Timothy Marin, IntraDream.com

Xan1977
Forum Moderator

Post by Xan1977 » 2003-12-12 15:05

modorated: Moved to Other Tools and deleted the pointless Poll.

Val Jean

Post by Val Jean » 2003-12-13 15:24

I tried it. It has alot of bugs that need to be worked out.

One positive thing was that I had the boroadband speeds that I used to get with DC++ a long time ago instead of the pathetic speeds I have been getting for the past few months.

Qbert

Post by Qbert » 2003-12-13 17:22

intradream.com wrote:But with IDC 2.0 this issue has been solved by being one of the first True Multi-source Direct Connect Clients, meaning that you can download one file from up to 30 users!
I don't understand; what would be a False Multi-source Direct Connect Client?

IntraDream

Good Question

Post by IntraDream » 2003-12-13 23:00

Qbert wrote:
intradream.com wrote:But with IDC 2.0 this issue has been solved by being one of the first True Multi-source Direct Connect Clients, meaning that you can download one file from up to 30 users!
I don't understand; what would be a False Multi-source Direct Connect Client?
well i dunno lol i didnt write that my partner did but if i had to guess he likely ment easiest. i have heard dcpro is multisource but i tried it and had no luck. reverse connect i havnt tried. i just know with 1 click i can get 20 sources / 350K + with most movies.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bugs!? no imposible :o yea i expect em please report any to [email protected] suggestions,Comments also.

Hope to get a forum goin soon(takes 10 min to setup im just lazy).

hard to make it stable/fast with vb6 but im doin my best

Timothy, IntraDream.com

Val Jean

Post by Val Jean » 2003-12-15 09:13

Well one thing you must have screwed up is the tags.

Using your client got me banned in two hubs that I was in all the time.

IntraDream

Tags

Post by IntraDream » 2003-12-15 17:31

I will double check the tags but could it be that you have it auto connecting and the hubs dont like ur hub/slot ratio.

Val Jean

Re: Tags

Post by Val Jean » 2003-12-15 20:41

IntraDream wrote:I will double check the tags but could it be that you have it auto connecting and the hubs dont like ur hub/slot ratio.
I bumped up the slots to the same amount as I have always used with DC++.

I also manually connected to the hubs I went into.

I went into the same hubs as I have for months with the same amount of slots I always use. I used the IntraDream client last night and got bans in two of the hubs now.

Val Jean

Post by Val Jean » 2003-12-17 00:39

It wasn't the tags.

I got banned because it disconnected when an OP tried to get my share list.

Xan1977
Forum Moderator

Post by Xan1977 » 2003-12-17 01:50

It is my opinion that this piece of crap won't upload anything but the filelist. Can anyone else confirm this?

edit: I have done some more testing. I beleive that I was correct.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-12-17 11:14

Xan1977 wrote:It is my opinion that this piece of crap won't upload anything but the filelist. Can anyone else confirm this?

edit: I have done some more testing. I beleive that I was correct.
Just FYI, I don't think that Tim did this intentionally. He wrote the multi-source code from scratch (perhaps the whole 2.x version), and then took 1.15's upload code. It looks like he didn't test it enough.

Of course, he still doesn't use hashes, so it's still an ugly hack. :wink:

Val Jean

Post by Val Jean » 2003-12-17 14:49

I think it was more of a rush to release it.

IN MY OPINION, the client is pretty rough and should not have been released until they had worked out ALOT of the bugs.

Xan1977
Forum Moderator

Post by Xan1977 » 2003-12-17 19:18

Mmm, I shouldn't have been so quick to judge. I think intradream 1.0 was in the back of my mind when I came to the conclusion that blocked uploading is a 'feature'.
Last edited by Xan1977 on 2003-12-17 20:16, edited 1 time in total.

IntraDream

Rushed

Post by IntraDream » 2003-12-17 20:03

Yea it was a bit of a rush I spose. I did just start a new job, but i released it for several resons one is I'm starting to rewrite now with more options and less dependencies and better memory usage. I plan on having alot more user options and features. I do apolagize if you have been banned for some reson while using this and yes I did rush the upload code, Spent alot of time getting the d/l's to run somewhat stable. although yes there are issues especially with rar'd files being it checks file matches by size.. This will be fixed in the new version by optional settings:

Match Options
Size Only
Size and FileName
Size and Extention

So the Question? why not use hashes. well frankly not enough clients support it yet. I'm planning on adding some protocoll extentions this time either other clients can except them or not I will try to add hashing and also music/video info. most extensions would be additions to the $SR command im also adding 2 extra bytes to each result cause im gonna send client inet speed I think this will help cpu a tad so you dont have to search for it every result. ( I plan on looking at what BCDC¿? has done with hashing) I think its bcdc anyway.

Other changes to look for:

More advanced queue system.
MDI Forms(server) Tabs
Replacing mswsock.ocx with CSocket.cls
Replaceing all VB timers with CTimer.cls
Modifying (Downloads)Transfers.cls and moving each Transfer socket to a Control with a seperate CSocket.cls (should increase speed)
Connect Form :
Adding Get Hublist.org HubList List
CSocket to d/l files
Recent List
Favorite List
More (Auto)Connect and Server Options
Better Upload Support
Posibly a limiting feature(What do you think)
More Menu Options in all areas
Better Option Storing Methods(posibly XML)
Remove DataBase Search n File Storage with custom Types
Remove DataBase Refrance
More to come...

Eagle5469

`

Post by Eagle5469 » 2003-12-21 21:53

I just have to say that this program is really nice... as someone mentioned before.. the download speeds are so much nicer on this program.

To download a 727.26MB file is only going to take me about 5-6 hours when with DC++ it was going to take me 24-36 hours... I am on a cable modem ranging from a low of 26 to a high of 52.... Nice job...

Now its probably not enough for me to give up on my orginal favorite of DC++ but it is a nice program

Nate

Eagle5469

Post by Eagle5469 » 2003-12-21 22:08

But..... I can't figure out how to download from more than 4 sources...that seems to be the limit....if anyone can help me out that would be greatful

NAte

Eagle5469

Post by Eagle5469 » 2003-12-21 23:42

or figured out how to resume

nomadx77

Post by nomadx77 » 2004-01-03 14:58

it sux

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-01-03 22:53

nomadx77 wrote:it sux
If you want to make a criticism (of anything), say why. Believe it or not, this could lead to it not "sucking".

Thanks in Advance!

Val Jean

Post by Val Jean » 2004-01-30 21:18

Has there been any updates to this client at all?

IntraDream

Post by IntraDream » 2004-01-31 00:45

I am working on several updates. all of the above mentioned. ill try to get a public version together here soon.

Tim-

Antonimo

Post by Antonimo » 2004-02-12 03:29

February 2004

Downloaded and installed app last night.

Tries to "overwrite" files in use including "Play Control" and other active apps.

There is no help or support available.

After a few seconds of operation the following:

Run-time error '6': overflow.

This is on a Windows 2000 system, fully up-to-date.

Why don't you test the software and really get it ready before releasing it?

Twink

Post by Twink » 2004-02-12 04:29

Antonimo wrote:February 2004

Downloaded and installed app last night.

Tries to "overwrite" files in use including "Play Control" and other active apps.

There is no help or support available.

After a few seconds of operation the following:

Run-time error '6': overflow.

This is on a Windows 2000 system, fully up-to-date.

Why don't you test the software and really get it ready before releasing it?
you have to remember that just cos you had a bad experience with a client that isn't finished doesn't mean everyone is having problems, its alot easier to find bugs when multiple people use it, did it really hurt to release it?, I mean yeah you may now have the opinion that the client isn't very good but as you said yourself its obviously not finished, I'm sure this client will grow alot as the developer works on it.

Antonimo

Post by Antonimo » 2004-02-12 05:52

I hope my experience will benefit the developer and I wish him the best.

Hopefully, there will be a reliable solution soon.

:D

Val Jean

Post by Val Jean » 2004-02-13 23:25

Twink wrote:you have to remember that just cos you had a bad experience with a client that isn't finished doesn't mean everyone is having problems, its alot easier to find bugs when multiple people use it, did it really hurt to release it?, I mean yeah you may now have the opinion that the client isn't very good but as you said yourself its obviously not finished, I'm sure this client will grow alot as the developer works on it.
Have you actually tried this client? I am just curious if actually know something or are just another internet expert that posts just to post?

The client is extremely rough. It honestly should have been tested a little more before it was released. It is like they took the pizza out of the oven 10 minutes too early.

Did it hurt to release it? No, did it hurt when OJ got found not guilty of murder? No. But people sure make a big deal about that. For what it is worth, I got banned from 2 hubs because of the flaws in the client.

His opinion is of the client that he is using now, that is available now. Not on some fantasy client that you are talking about. When that client comes out I am sure he will form a new opinion on that one too.

Twink

Post by Twink » 2004-02-14 06:47

I'm not really in any mood to get in some pointless argument about "posting just to post" yes I tried the client and yes I did notice it being a bit rough, have you tried using dc++ 0.001 (or whatever the first public release of dc++ was) its basically a wizard generated gui that can connect to a hub but has the username hardcoded as arnietheduck and doesn't do very much. This client is alot more developed then that and shows some great potential I doubt its actually made for actual use just for people that decide to be nice and test it and help the author with the progress of it

Instead of just saying maybe you should have tested it more, why not actually express some concerns/problems you found with the program.

Val Jean

Post by Val Jean » 2004-02-14 13:11

No I never tried DC. 0001 and I have also never driven a Model T. Maybe we should hop in the wayback machine and give it a throw.

It is more than a bit rough.

I did express my concerns and problems I had in several emails to the creator.

Gasman1015

Post by Gasman1015 » 2004-02-14 14:51

Val Jean , you seem more the type to post for the sake of it, looking at your previous posts, being constructive is one thing but you seem to winge
for reasons that you fail to understand, ( taken from the facts of your previous posts, not being too computer savvy.) Have you since graduated.? :roll:
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Val Jean

Post by Val Jean » 2004-02-14 21:40

No, I posted because I had a problem and stupidly came here trying to find a solution. I saw others post here with the same problem. All I got was stupid lame answers - "Everyone must have moved behind a campus firewall." and "Just download Netlimiter."

I never said that I was computer savvy. It doesn't take a computer geek to no when that they are dealing with a bunch of strokers. In my line off work you have to actually find solutions. No one cares about the excuses or stories you can come up with.

If you are so cool Gasman, maybe you could put your money where your mouth is and fix someone's problem. Until then, you are just talking out of your ass.

[PT]Devilishly

Post by [PT]Devilishly » 2004-02-14 22:35

Breathe deeply and count to ten please... If you have personal problems with the creator of this client, use the PM system and don’t use this post with other meaning different than it was created for...
Yes I do agreed that this client needs many, many improvements, but hasn’t it open “other� minds to do something better?

Best regards,
[PT]Devilishly

Gasman1015

Post by Gasman1015 » 2004-02-15 12:59

Val Jean wrote:No, I posted because I had a problem and stupidly came here trying to find a solution. I saw others post here with the same problem. All I got was stupid lame answers - "Everyone must have moved behind a campus firewall." and "Just download Netlimiter."

I never said that I was computer savvy. It doesn't take a computer geek to no when that they are dealing with a bunch of strokers. In my line off work you have to actually find solutions. No one cares about the excuses or stories you can come up with.

If you are so cool Gasman, maybe you could put your money where your mouth is and fix someone's problem. Until then, you are just talking out of your ass.
Arrogance and stupidity all in one package. How efficent of you.
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2004-02-15 13:35

Gentlemen, please. Only constructive comments from now on or this thread will be closed.

Thanks.
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

linux_newbie

Post by linux_newbie » 2004-03-20 07:51

Hey Dude, my hat's off to you anyway.

my first "concern" with dc++ was it seemed unfair to one person to be "tied" to them for a download. i have/will leave msgs to sysops in hubs to see if they have any ideas or opinions on the subject. i worked out a looooong time ago that if 10 people shared 2KBps it was more effective than 1 @ 20KBps.

you put the work in and it's appreciated.....

having said that i went to install and was told that the files in use for my "other" dc++ client needed to be updated, so based on the no smoke without fire principle (actually your more a victim of "if they fling enough sh*t inevitably/unfortunately some of it sticks") i bottled out of the install.

can you tell me if these updates would in anyway corrupt the existing dc++ client if i wanted to test yours?...

long winded i know, so still your a better man than me for trying gungadin!

cheers Kev.

PseudonympH
Forum Moderator

Re: Timothy Marin, IntraDream.com

Post by PseudonympH » 2004-03-20 10:19

linux_newbie wrote:i worked out a looooong time ago that if 10 people shared 2KBps it was more effective than 1 @ 20KBps.
Why? I'd rather have to wait to get 5-20 than get 2 instantly because it makes getting the slot seem worthwhile. Of course, if we have multisource it makes more sense, but still...

IntraDream

Post by IntraDream » 2004-03-25 23:54

having said that i went to install and was told that the files in use for my "other" dc++ client needed to be updated, so based on the no smoke without fire principle (actually your more a victim of "if they fling enough sh*t inevitably/unfortunately some of it sticks") i bottled out of the install.
I question weather your posting in the right place.. IDC has nothin to do with DC++ as far as your computers concerned.. it may have said it wanted to overwrite older versions of dll's .. wich may also be used by NMDC 1 but this shouldnt affect your computer in a harmfull way. although im not recommending anyone install. Mainly cause currently im not going to justify or modify the current available client 'IDC 2' if it works great if not im sorry and i hope youll try a new version if/when its made.

A quick update:
I am currently working on several programs + a full time job.. but i plan on quiting soon and when i do i plan on writing a new multisouce Dc client.
I cant give any dates but i can say vb is RAD and once i start the app it wont take long. But i may even wait and do it in .NET .

Tim-

Ketsuron

Post by Ketsuron » 2004-03-26 00:33

tested version: IDC2

If an user is registered in a yhub based hub, and doesnt enter the pwd fast enough its client
gets disconnected from yhub and temporarly banned cause it tried to search before it
connected to yhub. As an op it can access the cmds, but this client offers no
additional features as other clients have (no possibility to select an user and kick).
I suggest to change the tag from <++ V:0.305,M:A,H:1/0/0,S:3> whether to
<IDC2><++ V:0.305,M:A,H:1/0/0,S:3> or <IDC2 V:0.305,M:A,H:1/0/0,S:3> (like oDC),
since (i quote:) IDC has nothin to do with DC++, for better identification.

IntraDream

Post by IntraDream » 2004-03-26 01:10

i dont mind you quotng me just make sure you dont take my words out of context. "IDC has nothin to do with DC++ [as far as your computers concerned]". as far as your Tag suggestion i may or may not add it to the next version.. probably not and it will still most likely emulate dc++ bacause server owners seem to feel blocking clients based on this tag is benificial.