Unfinished Downloads (for directories)?

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

MelGibson

Unfinished Downloads (for directories)?

Post by MelGibson » 2003-11-28 20:10

Right now my process for finding completed music albums (that I've downloaded) is to reconcile my dl queue with the actual folders in my download directory and assume that all the ones that aren't in my queue are finished. Is there an easier way than this? I was thinking that an option like the "Unfinished Downloads Directory" for unfinished directory downloads would be nice. Is there allready something like this?

Thx,

Mel Gibson

joakim_tosteberg
Forum Moderator

Post by joakim_tosteberg » 2003-11-29 00:26

Settings->Downloads->"Unfinished downloads directory (empy = download directly to target"
There do you enter where tour unfinished downloads will be.

Note: THis will only affec new downloads, files that already are in the queue will not be affected.

MelGibson

Doesn't this only put unfinished files in a seperate directo

Post by MelGibson » 2003-11-29 22:07

Doesn't this only put unfinished files in a seperate directory?

I want to know if a whole directory has finished downloading. Example: I queue up full album of songs by clicking on the dirictory it is in. The only way I know if it is finished, and I have the full album, is to look to see if it is still in the queue.

TheNOP

Re: Doesn't this only put unfinished files in a seperate dir

Post by TheNOP » 2003-11-30 00:33

MelGibson wrote: Doesn't this only put unfinished files in a seperate directory?
yes
MelGibson wrote:I want to know if a whole directory has finished downloading. Example: I queue up full album of songs by clicking on the dirictory it is in. The only way I know if it is finished, and I have the full album, is to look to see if it is still in the queue.
if i understand correctly you want DC++ to create a folders on your hd and dl files there automaticly if you chose to dl a whole folder ?
TheNOP

Have you read the FAQ?
Or the sticky ? It might give you idea.

deesee++

Post by deesee++ » 2003-11-30 00:48

What he wants is for the folder he has in his queue to stay in the unfinished download dir until all of the files contained in that folder are finished. Then move the folder+finished files to the completed download dir as a whole..
Folder stays in unfinished till ALL files are done.. THEN moved to finished..
As opposed to moving each file to the finished dir as it is completed..

Right Mel?
PS.. FFFFRRRREEEEEEEDDOOOOOMMMM!! ;)

MelGibson

Post by MelGibson » 2003-11-30 01:15

Yes Yes Yes. deesee++ you can understand my broken english!! I only wish I knew another language. :D

gemmell1

Post by gemmell1 » 2003-11-30 10:53

Could that be implemented with an if-then on the download? This would be a very good feature as it would help to stop downloading incomplete folders.

TheNOP

Post by TheNOP » 2003-11-30 12:07

just want to point out that while it would help to stop sharing incomplete set of files.
it will at same time prevent the same files from being share as soon as those files are complet dling, if there is a missing file.
ex: rare set of files won't be re-inject in the network till the last file of that folder is completed.
i wonder how long it could take for the last file(s) to finish dl and be share...
TheNOP

Have you read the FAQ?

Gratch06

Post by Gratch06 » 2003-11-30 18:13

TheNOP wrote:just want to point out that while it would help to stop sharing incomplete set of files.
it will at same time prevent the same files from being share as soon as those files are complet dling, if there is a missing file.
ex: rare set of files won't be re-inject in the network till the last file of that folder is completed.
i wonder how long it could take for the last file(s) to finish dl and be share...
I personally don't believe in sharing any files I haven't checked first. I don't support sharing of finished downloads, or anything else of that nature. As a person who hand checks all downloads before sharing them, I'd say that only moving the folder when the entire folder is complete is a better option. I don't want to weed through half downloaded stuff to find what's actually done. I want my finished DL's to be stuff that's actually finished. i.e. I don't want to find tracks 3, 6, and 8 of an album and have to keep checking back to see if the whole thing is done. I think it should be moved when the whole folder is completed.

One case to think about which I haven't seen in this thread...at what level should a folder be considered a "set"? The final folder (no subfolders) would make the most obvious sense, but in some cases, I want a set of nested directories to appear as grouped. Anyway, just fodder for future discussion.

TheNOP

Post by TheNOP » 2003-11-30 18:44

mmm, quality versus availability.... good point Gratch
TheNOP

Have you read the FAQ?

MelGibson

Post by MelGibson » 2003-12-01 02:13

It doesn't nessisarily mean that this feature would mean that you wouldn't share incomplete sets of files. It would be more of a sorting tool for me, to save me alot of work figuring out what is finished. You could still share the unfished folders as long as they didn't have incomplete files. This would seem to mean 2 directories where files would be moved.

MelGibson

Post by MelGibson » 2003-12-01 02:16

There goes my broken english again. I guess there is a reason they added that preview button next to the submit.

Gratch06

Post by Gratch06 » 2003-12-01 02:29

MelGibson wrote:It would be more of a sorting tool for me, to save me alot of work figuring out what is finished.
This is precisely the reason I would use it.

Qliphoth

Post by Qliphoth » 2004-03-05 21:53

There hasn't been any talk about this since December 1st. Is this still a current suggestion? I'm sure it would be really useful maybe not as a standard option but something that those of us who want to use it could.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2004-03-11 19:35

Qliphoth wrote:There hasn't been any talk about this since December 1st. Is this still a current suggestion? I'm sure it would be really useful maybe not as a standard option but something that those of us who want to use it could.
It's an interesting suggestion. I've been dealing with someone who entered a RFE on the official DC++ tracker (here) who is requesting the same feature, but then argues against it, and has an even more complex solution (code wise) than you do:
jtorin wrote: If a directory isn't completly downloaded, ie. there is still files in the download queue, then hide the directory from searches. However, show the files inside the directory!

Often a popular release is impossible to download for days due to the pressure on the few people that have the release. Since many people unfortunately wait until the whole release is downloaded before they share it, a lot of people can sit with a partial directory and hinder each other.
So, who should we believe? :roll: