Web Control Interface

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

dmalopsy

Web Control Interface

Post by dmalopsy » 2003-11-26 13:01

eMule has this. It allows the user to remotely login over the network(or internet) and control their client, as if they were there. This would be useful to run on a server on the network, and allow all on the network to queue files they want at one central point. This also is good if your computer is noise and is in the same room where you sleep :), (its also unhealthy to sleep with the computer on).

This would be a great idea to implement into DC++.

dmalopsy

Post by dmalopsy » 2003-11-26 13:07

And when I mean remotely login in, the GUI would be in the form of a Web Interface, so it would effectively be cross-platform compatible.

joakim_tosteberg
Forum Moderator

Re: Web Control Interface

Post by joakim_tosteberg » 2003-11-26 13:17

dmalopsy wrote:(its also unhealthy to sleep with the computer on)
Unhealthy?

[EDIT: Fixed quotes. :) TheParanoidOne]

thx //joakim_tosteberg :D
Last edited by joakim_tosteberg on 2003-11-27 11:11, edited 3 times in total.

Twink

Post by Twink » 2003-11-26 16:50

i can't see how it is

dmalopsy

Post by dmalopsy » 2003-11-27 04:29

Well research has shown that, interupted sleep is very unhealthy. I remember also reading that lack of sleep causes neurons to die(and if i remember correctly neurons do not re-spawn, so the number your born with (or some young age) your stuck with).

Computers also produce alot of postive charges in the air(and this must be bad for some reason), thats why when you enter a room filled with computers, it has this sharp smell about it.

norti

Post by norti » 2003-11-27 05:47

Do not sleep on the computer, it could be uncomfortable :lol:

To the point, I sleep very well with my computer on every night, there are just HDD moves that I hear before I fell asleep :) (fortunatelly I haven't got any nvidia fx cards :twisted: )
This also is good if your computer is noise and is in the same room where you sleep , (its also unhealthy to sleep with the computer on).
I don't understand this :roll: Why were it good if you had remote connections, if the computer is placed in another room? :) Then how you use the remote and why? :D Take a walk to the other room :)

Try use an alternative remote desktop software instead, I do it too :)
.: Norti :.

dmalopsy

Post by dmalopsy » 2003-11-27 07:24

norti wrote: I don't understand this :roll: Why were it good if you had remote connections, if the computer is placed in another room? :) Then how you use the remote and why? :D Take a walk to the other room :)
The point is to have a central point of access to a client for everyone. Instead of everyone running their own clients and using up the bandwidth. And if DC implements a good queing system than this will be great too. It wouldnt matter whether the server running the client is next door or in the basement or in another building.

norti

Post by norti » 2003-11-27 19:38

So, that would be a client with VPN over internet, with multiuser support (have you thought on download priority?), multiuser access to files, etc :)
Looks like M$ Office 2003 Sharepoint systems :lol:

I think that's not possible in the near future... There are very few software supporting these "multi-behaviour" at the moment. And I think there are better features to develop now (multisource/segmented downloading, hashing)
.: Norti :.

Snooze

Post by Snooze » 2003-11-28 04:04

I think that's not possible in the near future... There are very few software supporting these "multi-behaviour" at the moment. And I think there are better features to develop now (multisource/segmented downloading, hashing)
Dont forget entryption !