Download from Multiple Users

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

alvaroduarte

Download from Multiple Users

Post by alvaroduarte » 2003-09-25 11:41

Hi,

I'm wroting this so I can suggest a new feature for the next DC++ release.

I guess that we all would like to have fastest downloads, wouldn't we? So why DC++ doesn't have a way to download the same file from multiple users at same time, such as happens in Kazaa or eMule? It would be great... :lol:
It would be good if DC++ looks automatically for the fastest source so it could change users...

I hope that this could be done and, in this way, we get fastest downloads...

Thanks for everything...

--=||[[ VARETAS ]]||=--
[ptfastnet.no-ip.com - just for portuguese people]

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

this is a duplicate

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-09-25 13:21

Sorry, but any further discussion on this would beat a dead horse.

Both features have been suggested in the past, feel free to search the forum and add to any of those older threads if you believe you have something to say. :-D

Downloading from multiple people has been called multi-source downloading, streaming, and a few others. It typically is mentioned in conjunction with hashing.

Good luck on the searching!

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: Download from Multiple Users

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-11-13 12:48

Fresh off the presses, I had to search for a mirror that had it. Well, it doesn't touch nearly as many files as recent CVS changes have, so it should be easy to ponder, given the time.

Thanks, hopefully this works a bit better than Distiller's solution, and can be integrated with Cologic's hash system.

liny

Re: Download from Multiple Users

Post by liny » 2003-11-13 19:14

Where can I find Distiller's solution and Cologic's hash system?
GargoyleMT wrote:
Fresh off the presses, I had to search for a mirror that had it. Well, it doesn't touch nearly as many files as recent CVS changes have, so it should be easy to ponder, given the time.

Thanks, hopefully this works a bit better than Distiller's solution, and can be integrated with Cologic's hash system.
(Edit: enabled BBCode so Quote works - GargoyleMT)

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-11-13 19:32

Distiller's creation is called pDC++ - find it: http://www.lowertech.net/pdcpp/
Cologic writes BCDC. Hash code is inside the sources at: http://wza.digitalbrains.com/DC/BCDCpp/releases/