Unicode Support

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

BBB ViPer

Unicode Support

Post by BBB ViPer » 2003-10-06 06:28

I would like to see unicode support for the fonts in the near future if it´s possible?!?!?

it would be great so one can make cool ascii onjoin messages and make the hub feal abit more scene orientated. And also so that one can enter foregien hub that uses other character sets and get some sens out of the things they write.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: Unicode Support

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-10-06 11:03

BBB ViPer wrote:I would like to see unicode support for the fonts in the near future if it´s possible?!?!?
Anything is possible. The rough assemblage of programmers have discussed this, but with the current protocol, it can not be much more than (yet another) hack.
it would be great so one can make cool ascii onjoin messages and make the hub feal abit more scene orientated. And also so that one can enter foregien hub that uses other character sets and get some sens out of the things they write.
Um, do you really think that ASCII onjoin messages are a worthy goal? Shouldn't you be PMing them anyhow?

And even with unicode, if you can't read Japanese, you still can't read it. Of course, you can see it's kanji, but that doesn't quite equate to "get some sens[sic] out of the things they write" (in my mind).

Patches Welcome!

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2003-10-06 12:19

GargoyleMT wrote:Of course, you can see it's kanji, but that doesn't quite equate to "get some sens[sic] out of the things they write" (in my mind).
No, but it looks pretty though. :D
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-10-06 12:34

TheParanoidOne wrote:Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone.
I love your latest sig! :)

BBB ViPer

Post by BBB ViPer » 2003-10-07 03:12

The thing is that even thoe u pm the ascii it doesn´t turn out right, u don´t get the speciel symbols that are above character 127, isn´t it possible to add support for the character between 128-256??

And u spoke something about some hack, i cant see how one would be able to hack just by adding unicode support for the fonts

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2003-10-07 04:33

If it was just display to the end user, that's one thing. It wouldn't be difficult to do, in theory. However, you want to send them a PM/ other message that contains Unicode, right? That means adding support for Unicode in transmissions, which AFAIK, would require some modifications to the protocol. And then things start spiralling.

If there are flaws in my reasoning, someone please point them out. :)
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

joakim_tosteberg
Forum Moderator

Post by joakim_tosteberg » 2003-10-07 06:55

BBB ViPer wrote:And u spoke something about some hack, i cant see how one would be able to hack just by adding unicode support for the fonts
Isn´t a hack just a "not so nice" change in the code?

TheNOP

Post by TheNOP » 2003-10-07 07:05

joakim_tosteberg wrote:
BBB ViPer wrote:And u spoke something about some hack, i cant see how one would be able to hack just by adding unicode support for the fonts
Isn´t a hack just a "not so nice" change in the code?
i always tough that a "hack" was to make something do, what it was not dessigne to do at first.
"not so nice" depend on how the hack is done. :wink:
if it need to change 1/4 of DC code, then, it's not a hack anymore, it's redesigne.
TheNOP

Have you read the FAQ?
Or the sticky ? It might give you idea.

joakim_tosteberg
Forum Moderator

Post by joakim_tosteberg » 2003-10-07 07:17

Ok.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-10-07 11:21

Like I said before, it's complicated, and adding unicode support isn't something that Jon Hess had in mind when he designed the original protocol. Thus any support for unicode will be ugly hacks (not all unicode sequences are DC protocol friendly) both in the protocol and in clients that don't support unicode.

There's no way of getting anything more quickly unless you devise a patch yourself... and once you look into it, I think you'll find truth in the assessment of others that unicode support isn't trivial.

lordadmira

Post by lordadmira » 2003-10-28 19:54

Sheesh all it is is some escape sequences and multi byte characters. Even to a non aware client it'll just show as a little junk. Even unicode is still based around 8 bit bytes. It ain't rocket science. The only thing you have to do to the "protocol" is add a key or something so each side knows the other is unicode aware. This is already basically accomplished by the fact that DC++ users are differentiated from non DC++ user.