Bouncer or login to remotely control DC++

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

Rodga

Bouncer or login to remotely control DC++

Post by Rodga » 2003-08-13 12:52

My DC++ is almost always running, and when I'm away (@ school for example) it would be nice to remotely control my DC++. I could start new downloads or just view the download progress etc.

Therefore it would be great to have a bouncer-program so I could control my DC++ when I'm away (like psyBNC is for mIRC). This could be an add-in or a script for DC++.

jbyrd

Post by jbyrd » 2003-08-13 13:01

Check out this post. If you're not happy with the responses, post back here.
Hehe.

Rodga

BNC would be better than VNC/Radmin

Post by Rodga » 2003-08-13 13:29

Ok. But I know VNC and Radmin etc., but they all take to much bandwidth (much FPS etc.)! It would be better to have a bouncer for DC++ like there are for mIRC :P

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: BNC would be better than VNC/Radmin

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-08-18 21:51

Rodga wrote:Ok. But I know VNC and Radmin etc., but they all take to much bandwidth (much FPS etc.)! It would be better to have a bouncer for DC++ like there are for mIRC :P
Yes, but this feature request (making DC++ controllable remotely) is non-trivial, so the patch (if someone decides that they want to work on it) will take a bit of time. On the other hand, VNC (tried TightVNC or UltraVNC?), etc. are here right now for your use.

You decide.

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2003-08-18 23:45

do you want a gui-control of you dc++ or only command-interface in a console window? most of the solutions to these problems has not been released and are only one-person-ugly hacks. atleast the solutions i have heard about. It was on my python-extend-embed-todo list, but i guess that never will be finished.
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.

Dj_Offset

Post by Dj_Offset » 2003-08-19 03:54

The "easy solution" is making a telnet interface for DC++ with a telnet server running.
Using simple telnet commands you can control certain parts of the application like getting the transfer list, queues, hubs, nicknames etc.

And add some web admin pages (php, asp or jsp) on top of the telnet interface and you have a pretty decent remote control system aswell as scriptability.
I wrote QuickDC - A DC++ compatible client for Linux and FreeBSD.

takeda

Re: Bouncer or login to remotely control DC++

Post by takeda » 2003-09-18 23:18

Rodga wrote:My DC++ is almost always running, and when I'm away (@ school for example) it would be nice to remotely control my DC++. I could start new downloads or just view the download progress etc.

Therefore it would be great to have a bouncer-program so I could control my DC++ when I'm away (like psyBNC is for mIRC). This could be an add-in or a script for DC++.
If you have windows 2000 or XP you can use terminal services is a lot faster than VNC.
(With windows 2000 if isn't that version server you would need a windows 2000 server cd and small program called NT switch.
Using nt switch turn your windows into server, then boot from CD and use fast recovery, it will copy some system files, but when you're back you'll have functionality of server, then it's easy to install terminal services, after that using nt witch you can go back to pro version (but still with functionality of a server) why would you want that? some apps doesn't allow to run on server.)

As for XP - I never used, but terminal services it's probably called remote desktop access or something like that.

As I said TS is a lot faster than VNC (you can even try to use it over dialup) because it doesn't send a screenshots but actually informations about windows, and everything is really rendered on your local computer.

takeda

Re: Bouncer or login to remotely control DC++

Post by takeda » 2003-09-18 23:24

looks like I cannot edit messages, so I'm posting another one. Another way is to install something like mldonkey, it creates a www interface and you can access it through browser. But problably this isn't a answer for you since you asked about DC++, and also I belive mldonkey isn't realy liked in dc community (that's what I feel, I didn't use it much)

Well since this is feature forum, my proposal is (maybe plugin) web interface which would allow to control dc++ from browser, just as mldonkey or eMule. I would be hard though to do chat on that, maybe java client? or just forget about chatting and alow only to control upload/download queues :)