Download Speed Limiting

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

sikjo

Download Speed Limiting

Post by sikjo » 2003-01-05 19:20

Hello everybody.

What are your thoughts on the ability to limit download speed as opposed to the upload speed?

Then you can give priority to your own downloads if you wish, but also to be nice to providers with ADSL and cap the speed in an attempt to let them keep the ability to download themself.

ozgreg

Re: Download Speed Limiting

Post by ozgreg » 2003-01-05 20:44

sikjo wrote:Hello everybody.

What are your thoughts on the ability to limit download speed as opposed to the upload speed?

Then you can give priority to your own downloads if you wish, but also to be nice to providers with ADSL and cap the speed in an attempt to let them keep the ability to download themself.
Hiya Sikjo,

Download speed is not actually a problem with ADSL it is upload bandwidth.

Because ADSL is asymmetrical it *must* send an ICMP packet back to the ADSL enabled telephone exchange for every x download packets. (I forgotten if it is every packet or every 10 packets or something like that)

The issue is should your upload bandwidth be flooded (see no upload speed control) then sending that ICMP packet is delayed causing the downloading of packets to be delayed which in effect kills the download speed very nicely. The more upload bandwidth you use the greater effect it will have on your download packet rate.
Restricted NS P2P DC Hub Admin

Kotu

Post by Kotu » 2003-01-05 22:03

if this option was in then you could message the people downloading off you to ask them to set a certain speed to the current download. This would leave the option of upload limiting to the person receiving the file instead.

Problem is, most people are greedy, same ones who dont like upload capped versions would not cap their download speed because they want *all* your upload no matter how it effects your downloads.

Good thing about this is the person gets a choice, either use the rate wanted or lose the slot.

joazito

Post by joazito » 2003-01-06 06:02

Actually I would like to have a download speed limit option. For giving more bandwidth for another purpose mainly.
It would be even better if it could limit a specified download... that would
a) prevent me from SUCKING ALL THE BANDWIDTH of some individuals (it kind of hurts to be getting 80+% of someone's bandwidth when there's no need)
b) allow other more crucial downloads to finish first.

Now that I think of it that option would be great. I wonder why no one bothered with it...

Erroneus

yes!!

Post by Erroneus » 2003-01-06 06:37

a download speed limiter would be nice, i would use it alot, i often close down DC, when i game online, so my ping is good, but with a download limit, i can let DC run, nice :D

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: Download Speed Limiting

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-01-08 12:04

sikjo wrote:Hello everybody.

It looks like BCDC++ has added download speed limiting in one of the later releases - like 0.20. Since he's admitted to seeing how badly the upload limiting code (in his client, and Alyandon's patches too) splits upload bandwidth between upload slots, hopefully the download limiting code doesn't fall in to the same pitfall.

ender

Post by ender » 2003-01-08 13:29

BCDC++ has had upload limiting for as long as I remember (at least since 0.181, probably earlier)...

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-01-12 10:26

ender wrote:BCDC++ has had upload limiting for as long as I remember (at least since 0.181, probably earlier)...
The last time I used a binary of BCDC++ was 0.181, and at that time (mid November), upload limiting hadn't been added in. BlackClaw has released his builds more frequently than the official version numers change, so I must not have gone back and seen the feature.

At least it's in 0.22, which means the code can be tinkered with!

Both that code and the upload throttling need to be adjusted to give equal priority (other things being equal) to each download/upload connection. Most of the time, it's good enough, but sometimes the bandwidth is split very disproportionately.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Correction to my correction

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-02-13 21:01

ender wrote:BCDC++ has had upload limiting for as long as I remember (at least since 0.181, probably earlier)...
Disregard my above post. (Not timely, but at least the archives will have my correction :)) You're right about upload limiting, that was the first reason why I tried BDC++. I was referring to the (then) (seemingly) recent addition of download throttling capacity.