Old future wanted back!!

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

TheSeagul

Old future wanted back!!

Post by TheSeagul » 2003-07-13 10:26

In the old versions of dc++ download que there was a nice future..

It was that U could see the amount in megs downloaded of the file in que. Why was it even taken away when U changed from
dcplusplus.xml-->queue.xml??

Great work otherwhise!

Greats TheSeagul

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Re: Old future wanted back!!

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2003-07-13 10:36

TheSeagul wrote:In the old versions of dc++ download que there was a nice future..
Which version are you talking about?
TheSeagul wrote:It was that U could see the amount in megs downloaded of the file in que.
This can be seen in the transfer window. Is that what you mean? Or perhaps something else ...?
TheSeagul wrote:Why was it even taken away when U changed from dcplusplus.xml-->queue.xml??
I don't understand what you mean by that change. As far as I can remember, they have always been two separate files. One didn't change into the other. Or are you talking about something else?
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

sarf

Post by sarf » 2003-07-13 11:22

You could see how much you had downloaded of every file in the download queue - I think the last version it was present in was 0.163.

The reason it was removed was due to the fact that it took a bit of time while starting up DC++ to check how much had been downloaded of the files (e.g. checking file size of every target file in the queue).

Sarf
---
"I've realised that users are not just a good way of holding down office furniture which might otherwise blow away." - Daniel Rutter

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2003-07-13 11:37

According to the Changelog, 0.163 was released on 04/04/2002! Well over a year ago. :shock:

Why wait all that time to make the request?
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

Twink

Post by Twink » 2003-07-13 18:17

well u could just update a % variable when a file transfer stops, I mean why scan on startup when dc++ is likely the only thing changing the file in the first place, just asume 0b downloaded untill dc starts downloading.

TheSeagul

Post by TheSeagul » 2003-07-14 03:32

Why one year... A year goes so fast and I used the 0.163 until resently when hubs started to kick U when U still had it :-(

And before that I changed my host file so I could use it because some one was funny to remotly shut old ones down....

And that problem with taking long on start up... what computer do you use 286?

My download que was 367gig and my share 350gig and it started faster then the new version anyway..

That was one of my questions to why does it take so long to start when it doesn´t check my downloaded files sizes??

And couldn´t it be easy to make the check parallel to the share size check? most people using dc++ have good cpus so they would not even notice

Greats TheSeagul

Wisp

Post by Wisp » 2003-07-14 10:57

I think it's a very usefull feature, so i would like it back

just an example if you want to download a movie, and you have started to download 3 different versions of the file, you can't tell what the status of the files is

so if 2 files are 3% downloaded, and the other is 89% downloaded, you don't know for which one you have to search alternatives

in this example i used 3 files, but when you have like 40 different versions of the file, it's really annoying

i think it should be an option, the people who enable the option have to wait a little longer, but i think that's worth it

cyberal

Post by cyberal » 2003-07-15 03:23

Twink wrote:well u could just update a % variable when a file transfer stops, I mean why scan on startup when dc++ is likely the only thing changing the file in the first place, just asume 0b downloaded untill dc starts downloading.
Agree, the scan thingy sounds really stupid..
http://whyrar.omfg.se - Guide to RAR and DC behaviour!
http://bodstrom.omfg.se - Bodströmsamhället, Länksamling om hoten mot vår personliga integritet

TheSeagul

Post by TheSeagul » 2003-07-15 06:54

wisp
i think it should be an option, the people who enable the option have to wait a little longer, but i think that's worth it
I agree to that ! it should be an option anyway and now I know why it´s so big diffrens between 0.163 and 0.2xx on loading the program it´s because the later checks for duplicates in share folder.. just missed that before :-)

Great´s TheSeagul