Favorite Hubs - Ability to make duplicates

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

SirPlus

Favorite Hubs - Ability to make duplicates

Post by SirPlus » 2003-06-09 20:02

Hi
I would like the ability to make duplicate copies of my favorite hub addeys

Eg I run a hub and want to be able to log in as a Hub Owner, Power Op, Standard Op, Vip User and Regular user at various times but on a regular basis to test scripts etc.

Sometimes I want to have alternative (non op) identities at various hubs where I op.

At the moment if I create a fav with the same addey as an existing fav it is not recorded.

I have been able to work around by adding :411 to the addey but this is not really satisfactory as it only allows 2 x id.

I am wondering if the duplicate addresses could be allowed in future versions of DC++ (I use 2.51)

sarf

Post by sarf » 2003-06-10 05:09

Well, the problem is that this could be used by users to connect multiple times to your hub, which would make other clients behave erratically (would probably allow the users to use one slot / login from other users, thus hogging the slots of users).

Sarf
---
Insanity is bliss.

Sedulus
Forum Moderator

Post by Sedulus » 2003-06-10 05:50

add this to your hosts file

Code: Select all

192.168.0.1	myhub samehub yessamehub stillmyhub
assuming your hub-Ip is 192.168.0.1

on 2k, the hosts file is: %WINDIR%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
http://dc.selwerd.nl/hublist.xml.bz2
http://www.b.ali.btinternet.co.uk/DCPlusPlus/index.html (TheParanoidOne's DC++ Guide)
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/dc (BSOD2600's Direct Connect FAQ)

Nazo

Post by Nazo » 2003-06-10 06:21

What about some method of changing nicknames without having to restart the connection, like IRC does? I know it would have to be put into the hub server software, but, if it's a command like /nick or something sent to the server, then it just wouldn't work unless the server supported it anyway.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-06-13 14:03

Nazo wrote:I know it would have to be put into the hub server software, but, if it's a command like /nick or something sent to the server ...
That would seem to be the proper way to do it; extend the hub and modify the client.

/me would also be nice, for a more grandiose explanation, see cologic's post about IRC.

SirPlus

Well, the problem is

Post by SirPlus » 2003-07-10 05:49

[quote="sarf"]Well, the problem is that this could be used by users to connect multiple times to your hub, which would make other clients behave erratically (would probably allow the users to use one slot / login from other users, thus hogging the slots of users).

Sarf
---
Insanity is bliss.[/quote]

Not an issue

I can currently login 3 x anyway
1x with manual login
1x with the fav specifying natural addey without specifying port (assuming hub is on port 411)
1 x with the fav specifying addey with the port on the end ie addey:411

So if this is a problem then it already exists

Also

I use a script that prevents multiple logins by testing ip addey on login

I wrote it so it allows the nicks I use to login

I would still like the ability to save the same addey with different nicks and passes :D

I am sure the code in dc++ would allow these by default but that a weeding out process is invoked before the save is done - it should be easy 2 disable!

cyberal

Post by cyberal » 2003-07-10 06:02

Nazo wrote:What about some method of changing nicknames without having to restart the connection, like IRC does? I know it would have to be put into the hub server software, but, if it's a command like /nick or something sent to the server, then it just wouldn't work unless the server supported it anyway.
And may I ask why you have to change nick while you are in a hub, pick a nick and stick with it?
http://whyrar.omfg.se - Guide to RAR and DC behaviour!
http://bodstrom.omfg.se - Bodströmsamhället, Länksamling om hoten mot vår personliga integritet

SirPlus

Post by SirPlus » 2003-07-10 06:04

[quote="Sedulus"]add this to your hosts file
[code]192.168.0.1 myhub samehub yessamehub stillmyhub[/code]
assuming your hub-Ip is 192.168.0.1
[/quote]

Ok have added
[code]192.168.0.101 myhub samehub yessamehub stillmyhub[/code]

This presumably maps the IP address to those host names
Why and what does this do?

cyberal

Post by cyberal » 2003-07-10 06:11

SirPlus wrote:Why and what does this do?
you can now use those hostnames instead of the hub IP!
I hope you added you.hub.ip.adress and not 192.168.0.101...
http://bodstrom.omfg.se - Bodströmsamhället, Länksamling om hoten mot vår personliga integritet

SirPlus

Post by SirPlus » 2003-07-10 06:17

[quote="cyberal"] And may I ask why you have to change nick while you are in a hub, pick a nick and stick with it?[/quote]

Please read the initial request more carefully

""Eg I run a hub and want to be able to log in as a Hub Owner, Power Op, Standard Op, Vip User and Regular user at various times but on a regular basis to test scripts etc.""

I agree that you no doubt have good reasons for sticking strictly with your nick and normally I would subscribe to that line of thought. Surely you could see that others may have equally valid reasons for not wanting to do so and why unnecessarily deprive people of that flexibity.

cyberal

Post by cyberal » 2003-07-10 06:35

changing nick on IRC makes no difference, you are there to talk.. thus you probably want ppl to know who you are and not the opposite. If a /nick command was implemented in the dc protocol that made it possible to instantly change nick. Fakers/cheaters/flooders/leechers would get a powerful feature on their hands. This should NOT be implemented.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-07-10 11:10

cyberal wrote:changing nick on IRC makes no difference, you are there to talk.. thus you probably want ppl to know who you are and not the opposite. If a /nick command was implemented in the dc protocol that made it possible to instantly change nick. Fakers/cheaters/flooders/leechers would get a powerful feature on their hands. This should NOT be implemented.
Um. In IRC, nick changes are announced (even if it doesn't appear in chat), so you can continue with your private messages uninterrupted. Any hub based extension of the DC protocol would also announce nick changes, so you'd be able to track users just fine and dandy.

At least, that seems like the way I'd do it ;)

SirPlus

Post by SirPlus » 2003-07-15 11:26

saarf wrote:(would probably allow the users to use one slot / login from other users, thus hogging the slots of users)
This occours if you both log into the same 2 or more hubs at present anyway so I see no additional problem here.

Nazo wrote:What about some method of changing nicknames
Anything - as long as its quick and easy.

cyberal wrote:changing nick on IRC makes no difference, you are there to talk.. thus you probably want ppl to know who you are and not the opposite. If a /nick command was implemented in the dc protocol that made it possible to instantly change nick. Fakers/cheaters/flooders/leechers would get a powerful feature on their hands. This should NOT be implemented.
As I have stated earlier I can already do all these things but it is a hastle to test the scripts that help prevent evactly those things you seem afraid of and dont seem to realise exist in massive proportions. Why do you think I have to work on scripts.
SirPlus wrote:I use a script that prevents multiple logins by testing ip addey on login
Dual logins never use the same nick as that is not allowed by the hub and scripts filter the ips for dupes. I can only login to my own hub multiple times because I control those scripts and will share them with you if you are scared of this. I will let you know a secret though. Unless you are actively preventing this then it is occouring anyway.

Dear cyberal, I am beginning think you have an allergy to improvement and progress; I wish you would stop being negative and help me find a way to solve this problem. I don't want to create new problems for others and I am sure some positive input from you will be valuable.

There is another more recent thread from someone else about having different shares for different hubs - so it is obvious that others can see merrit in these ideas.

I dont care if the nicks on the favs I am requesting are limited to "MyNick"1, "MyNick"2 and "MyNick"3 (that could be scripted) but I would appreciate an easier way ie better less awkward way to "set up profiles" (as I currently can do already) so I can test these the hubs protections.

[Edit to fix your BBCode by GargoyleMT]