One DC++ client to rule them all

Know of something that might be useful to the DC community? Post it here! (Still, no advertising)

Moderator: Moderators

toothpick

One DC++ client to rule them all

Post by toothpick » 2003-06-20 12:57

I have been lurking on this forum for a while, and some questions for developers of different DC++ clients like DC++k, BCDC and oDc.

Why is that noe of these clients seems to use other DC++ clients features?
(Except the original wich everybody seems to use.)

Like DC++k have a very nice fakeshare finder, BCDC have features like autogrant slots to favourite users, oDc has got a very nice toolbar layout, a smart skipfiles entry etc. etc. etc.

Why is it that the different developers dont join more forces and make One Master DC++ client - One DC++ client to rule them all (;

This i am sure would make life much more easy for the many users of these clients (like me)

I understand that some developer might not like all the features of some of the other client, but still, there must be some of the features that everybody can use, for example like the skipfiles entry, and the autogrant slot features.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: One DC++ client to rule them all

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-06-20 20:24

toothpick wrote:Why is that noe of these clients seems to use other DC++ clients features?
(Except the original wich everybody seems to use.)
It's partly personal preference. I, for instance, don't use anything from oDC (except that which became a part of DC++). I also haven't used anything from BCDC (though hashes are on my list), or DC++k (though my upload code, now in DC++k and BCDC, originally was inspired by code from there).

Also, many features are hard to pick out, and sometimes touch on many other features in the client. For insance, BCDC's uploading code requires the use of IPs, but the IP collecting code is a much larger change than just the couple functions in the UploadManager, SettingsManager, and appropriate Preference page for the Upload Queue itself...
toothpick wrote:Why is it that the different developers dont join more forces and make One Master DC++ client - One DC++ client to rule them all
Arne isn't interested (paraphrasing from a conversation about this subject) in unifying all of the DC++ based clients. He wants to only provide a solid foundation on which others can base modifications.

It's a nice idea, I'm game, but I also am interested in contributing to DC++... otherwise my name wouldn't be in the changelog.

Opera
Programmer

Post by Opera » 2003-07-15 17:06

GargoyleMT wrote:Arne isn't interested (paraphrasing from a conversation about this subject) in unifying all of the DC++ based clients. He wants to only provide a solid foundation on which others can base modifications.
Me (and probably other mod developers) like to do our own stuff, and I atleast know that plenty of my features will be stolen by arne, just the way i steal his features.. I can't count them on my fingers (and probably not even with my toes), but who am I to complain. We steal ideas and sometimes code from each other. That's what open source is partly about.
GargoyleMT wrote:It's a nice idea, I'm game, but I also am interested in contributing to DC++... otherwise my name wouldn't be in the changelog.
No, it's not a nice idea, it's a disgusting idea. Personally I'd love to see plenty more totally different clients out there. I'm very interrested in DJ_Offset's work on a new client written in C++/QT for linux, maybe portable to windows.
And GargoyleMT, your name can still be in the changelog even though you write your own mod.. Have a look at mine ;))
Just because i write oDC, it doesn't stop me from fixing a few major or minor bugs "implemented" by arne =)

O
Creator of the dc++ fork, oDC found at:
http://gempond.com/odc

powerup25

Post by powerup25 » 2003-07-16 05:33

Opera wrote: I'm very interrested in DJ_Offset's work on a new client written in C++/QT for linux, maybe portable to windows.
O
Yesssssssssssssss, that one supports mp3 files tag!!, greeaaat!!!!!!!!!!, finally some one seems to have brain and wants to port it, good news at least for me, lets see if opera can translate the client into Windows enviroment.

Opera
Programmer

Post by Opera » 2003-07-18 16:11

powerup25 wrote:
Opera wrote: I'm very interrested in DJ_Offset's work on a new client written in C++/QT for linux, maybe portable to windows.
O
Yesssssssssssssss, that one supports mp3 files tag!!, greeaaat!!!!!!!!!!, finally some one seems to have brain and wants to port it, good news at least for me, lets see if opera can translate the client into Windows enviroment.
Well, I just said I'm interrested in his work. Hopefully someone else will port it to windows =)
And it's in very early developer stage, and needs alot more work, but I still think it can be a good alternate client.
But if noone else will port it I might give it a small try. But that's not very interresting until the client is worth beeing ported, ie not in a few more months.

O
Creator of the dc++ fork, oDC found at:
http://gempond.com/odc

Alexandros

Post by Alexandros » 2003-07-18 17:06

maybe someday someone joint all the code of the DCs and do a niiice thing...then you choose...the things separated or all joint in 1 EXE
I like things of all...but I cannot have 3 DCs open...is confusing, it's my idea...if i see a joint of the best features of all i going to download that...
Is like EMULE...there are mods that have the best of others.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-07-20 10:45

Opera wrote:No, it's not a nice idea, it's a disgusting idea. Personally I'd love to see plenty more totally different clients out there. I'm very interrested in DJ_Offset's work on a new client written in C++/QT for linux, maybe portable to windows.
Disgusting? Opera, I didn't say that I wanted to wipe out all competition in clients. Actually, I didn't explain my view at all. ;) I'd like for DC++ mods not to compete against each other and duplicate work. More DC clients is a wonderful thing for the DC community. The last thing it needs is a DC++ monopoly (oDC is included in DC++). That's why Hess's release of 2.01 is good, as are QuickDC, DC-GUI, DCPro, DConPro, BlackDC, and even (to a very small degree) MLDC.
Opera wrote:Me (and probably other mod developers) like to do our own stuff, and I atleast know that plenty of my features will be stolen by arne, just the way i steal his features.. I can't count them on my fingers (and probably not even with my toes), but who am I to complain. We steal ideas and sometimes code from each other. That's what open source is partly about.
Heh. Stealing is hardly the right word, since when Arne uses your code, he credits you. (Unless you have an example to the contrary?) Nobody owns ideas for features... Though I suppose you wouldn't object to saying that oDC "stole" colored chat from IRC? In that case, I'll be happy because your peculiar use of "stealing" is consistent. :-D
Opera wrote:That's what open source is partly about.
Opera wrote:Just because i write oDC, it doesn't stop me from fixing a few major or minor bugs "implemented" by arne =)
:) Quite right, bug fixing is another part of the open source ideal. Find a bug, fix it in the original application. Don't fork it and put fixes only in your version as some sort of immense undertaking of hubris.

mai9

Post by mai9 » 2003-07-27 10:00

powerup25 wrote:
O
There's already a dc++ mod (running in windows) that supports reading ID3v1. Or I misunderstood?

Dj_Offset

Post by Dj_Offset » 2003-07-29 10:27

powerup25 wrote: Yesssssssssssssss, that one supports mp3 files tag!!, greeaaat!!!!!!!!!!,
It does? I mean... I should probably know.. but this I didn't know... :)
I wrote QuickDC - A DC++ compatible client for Linux and FreeBSD.

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2003-07-30 01:44

yes, have a look at jtdc (the dc++ mod). It has "Bitrate, Artist, Album, Track, Year etc.."
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.

dieselmachine

JTDC...

Post by dieselmachine » 2003-09-28 09:04

...is not the 'official' name. I wouldn't be so tacky as to simply toss my name on the front of the DC name. Hahhaa.

All kidding aside, im done working on it until i get a new mb. my old one burned out on me, and this 300 mhz 'beast' cant muster the strength to run vs.net.

I got it working with id3v2 (up to 2.4, i believe), and everything was cool. But then people didn't want it. So i deleted the code and put all my efforts into CDM features.

In the future, I'll probably resume coding. As of now, the project is dead because I can't program and I got fired from Fedex last week. No job = no money = no motherboard = no programming.

We'll see how things play out. I might just end up joining the military because I can't find a fucking job to save my life, and I dont want to be homeless.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Re: JTDC...

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-10-06 14:30

dieselmachine wrote:In the future, I'll probably resume coding. As of now, the project is dead because I can't program and I got fired from Fedex last week. No job = no money = no motherboard = no programming.
Sorry to hear that. Keep up the good work, even if the good work has nothing to do with DC. :)

tierrax

odc anymore?

Post by tierrax » 2004-08-18 16:29

Hi, is there going to be another version of oDC, or we just have to say good bye to that great mod?

Gasman1015

Post by Gasman1015 » 2004-08-18 17:05

Goodbye probably, only Opera can tell you otherwise.

You could ask fusbar, but he can't comment on the matter. :wink:
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.