File List Searcher

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

Smirnof100

File List Searcher

Post by Smirnof100 » 2003-05-06 22:06

Ahhh... it would be nice to be able to search the file lists we have already downloaded wouldn't it... That way you could see if a user that your familiar with downloading from has the file you want or ... my purpose in suggesting this is... to be able to browse all the file lists at once.

For Example... lets say i have 30 file lists... and i do a browse... then it would take all the files... line up the dupes... and make me a nice MASSIVE list :).. Then i could do a search for ... i dunno... avi... and i would be able to have a comprehensive list of avi files that i could use as a base to search for... cause if you think about it not everyone knows what they want until they are reminded... oh ya i wanted that episode of inuyasha or i wanted rape me by nirvana.... you get the point. You would be able to see a list and pick from what you wanted or just browse the list.

Doesn't necessaraly need to be a feature... maybe a 3rd party program but i would like to be able to have a list made i can browse from.... Enuf of my ramblings tell me what you all think.
Build a Man a Fire, and he will be Warm for a day.
Set a Man on Fire, and he will be Warm for the Rest of his Life.

aDe
Forum Moderator

Post by aDe » 2003-05-07 04:24

I have made VB6 code for browsing a filelist, but I'm too lazy to complete it and make a filelist searcher I think. If someone wants the source they can have it though.

mai9

Post by mai9 » 2003-05-07 11:51

Smirnof100, you had a great idea!!
I suggested quite the same in a thread called "Offline Searches", in this same "Features" forum. :roll:

Let's see if we find something useful, I don't know a thing about VB6. Maybe some friend...

Smirnof100

Post by Smirnof100 » 2003-05-07 17:47

Well I didn't find anything related to it when i searched so i just made a new thread... anyways... ya i came up with it because i got tired of opening all my file lists 1 by 1 to find stuff. The new adl search has made at least that much easier for now :)

mai9

Post by mai9 » 2003-05-12 00:58

aDe wrote:I have made VB6 code for browsing a filelist
What does this code do? reads directly bz2 files, DcLst too, or reads the decompressed bz2?

Because the worst part for this filelists' searches will be decompressing.

FoxKat

Offline search utility.

Post by FoxKat » 2003-05-12 02:04

If you are interested, go to http://www.desktopsolutioncenter.ca/uber/.

There you will find a set of utilities that will allow you to download all filelists from every user registered on any hub you are connected to, then it will compile those filelists, sort for duplicates, and create a fully searchable database.

This database will also allow you to actually request those files while offline, and it will enter those requests into the DC++ download queue! Then DC++ will immediately begin downloading those files for you.

This utility will even sort those users who have the files you want, by which ones are most likely online, and also by which ones are the fastest connections first.

The demo version is fully functional but has a time bomb, since it is shareware.

I am personal friends with the developer, and as it is now, I have a database of over 35,000 CDs to sort and search through. It's quite amazing to use and see it work.

Give it a try.

Phil

mai9

Post by mai9 » 2003-05-12 05:23

Thanks for the link.

I wonder if users of this program have made any donation to DC++, which is a thing to think as this program can't work without DC++. Think about it.
For those who think this is too much.. consider this is the cost of a couple of CDs. Not much for the time savings you'll find from these apps.
Reading the site I realize this app is orientated to download music, so now I wonder if he is saying "our app will save you from buying cds, so why not paying us?"
Ensure the drive has at least 6Gb (yes, GB, not MB) of free space on it.
Honestly, this program is out of my scope.
Finally, the referral program. For every copy purchased where the person who bought it drops me a note stating you referred them to it, I'll put 10% back into a Paypal account for you. Make 10 referrals and your copy was free.
Very interesting...

PS: before you say it, I bought software, but not this kind.

Smirnof100

Post by Smirnof100 » 2003-05-12 17:29

Ok your link is dead...

I went to http://www.desktopsolutioncenter.ca/ and could not find the program anywhere.... :'( A little help...

FoxKat

Offline search utility.

Post by FoxKat » 2003-05-12 17:51

Sorry, I didn't realize you were looking for search of other than music. I reviewed the post and saw AVI reference.

As for the "referral" rebates, I had forgotten about that, and I wasn't looking for them. I am happy having paid for it and use it for the purpose intended.

Smirnof100

Post by Smirnof100 » 2003-05-12 17:56

Its not even that... i don't mind using it for music... but i could not find a place to download it from... the music manager had a very small page with no link for downloading from.

I would like to try out the program at least but i cant even get it.

Is your link right?

mai9

Post by mai9 » 2003-05-12 19:12

here's the new link, but I think this program is plain wrong.

http://www.desktopsolutioncenter.ca/goodmusic/Apps.htm

FoxKat

Plain Wrong??

Post by FoxKat » 2003-05-12 22:15

Hey Mai9, what do you mean by "plain wrong"?? Are you saying the program doesn't do what it claims, because if you are, you are "plain wrong". I have been using it for quite a few months, and have saved countless hours searching and comparing my existing libraries of MP3s with those available and desired.

If you are saying it's "plain wrong" for your particular purposes, that being to share copyrighted software (as opposed to copyrighted music), then you are a hipocrite.

If you are saying it's " plain wrong", because the author is charging for the package, then I say, you are "plain wrong" because the author put a tremendous effort forth in creating this utility, and with our (the users') help and suggestions, has transformed a small and limited feature utility, into a powerful and flexible program that provides tremendous benefits.

If I have in any way mistaken your comment as a negative one, when in fact, you had some sort of positive and complementary reason for such a comment, then I concede that I am "plain wrong".

Point is, an empty and broad comment such as that can be interpreted, (and possibly misinterpreted) to mean anything from good to bad and everywhere inbetween.

Clarify...

Phil

Smirnof100

Post by Smirnof100 » 2003-05-13 02:29

Thanks for the link =)

I think he means plain wrong in a good way...

Or maybe the 6 gigs of hd usage is plain wrong but eh... small price to pay for what im getting :)

I went online and downloaded the lists of about 800 people earlier today (caused like 8 unhandled exceptions in dc++ :) b4 i figured out this prog would do it automatically for me... oh well... It will probably take about 6 hours to go through my file lists...

But yes i do like the prog and i will probably Enjoy it.

If i don't then thats just "Plain Wrong"

mai9

Post by mai9 » 2003-05-13 07:11

FoxKat, please don't call me things.

I think is plain wrong because of the spirit in it. Creating software that works on top of an open-source project, and asking money for it without even mentioning that the open-source project might deserve some money too is just wrong. I find it even worse that the author tries to build a pyramidal selling system.

I read that you think UberTools is a great software, what do you think of DC++? Which piece of software deserve more money? (please FoxKat, answer this)

After spending some time reading that site I realize that not only I need 6GB to install it, but MDAC v2.6, DCOM98 and Internet Explorer 6 SP1 when running from Win98. I wonder if he forgot to mention Visual Basic Runtime and DirectX, or he could really make it without them ;)

BTW, that simple site has broken links. Honestly, I never had such a bad impression of a program without installing it.

FoxKat

Post by FoxKat » 2003-05-13 10:45

First, I never called you anything. I said either "Are you" or "If". In both cases, unless you met the criteria for those comments, then you were not being called whatever. I even went to the trouble of the disclaimer at the end:

'If I have in any way mistaken your comment as a negative one, when in fact, you had some sort of positive and complementary reason for such a comment, then I concede that I am "plain wrong".'

All I was looking for was clarification, and that is what you have given me. Had you made yourself clear in the first place, I wouldn't have had to presume.

Now, to address your comments...

Creating software, whether on top of open source, or whether utilizing open source for some of it's tasks, and then asking for payment is not wrong. It's simply someone asking to be compensated for his work. If those who created the open source, didn't want compensation, it was their decision. They didn't also specify that any program written which utilizes their open-source, must also be free.

Now, if the "program" were simply a collection of open-source routines, simply banded together by some simple calls, then I would agree, and further state that to ask for payment of such duct tape would be hipocritical.

As for the "payramidal" selling system, this does not classify as a pyramid, since the "sellers" (better named referring users) can never recover more than their initial investment, and every one who is referred has the same opportunity to recover their investmets as well.
This is simply a referral system. Geez, even my cellular phone service (Verizon) offers a "referral fee" of $50.00 for each new user I refer, and there is NO LIMIT to the number of people I can refer. That is still not a pyramid, but is much closer.

Frankly, referrals are one of the most powerful and most widely used methods of marketing in the retail world. Most any retailer will offer a "discount" if you bring someone else along to shop. They'd rather have less of something (what they are getting from you), than all of nothing (the nothing being what they didn't get, but could have gotten from the person you didn't refer).

In regard to the lack of mention for MDAC, DCOM98, VBR, and DirectX, I suppose he was assuming that most users would already have those platforms in place. I will mention it to him for inclusion in his instructions.

And regarding the broken links, and your "impression" did you ever hear the saying, "Don't judge a book by it's cover"? He even admits that he "threw" the site together, and apologizes for any mistakes. Give the guy a break, would ya?

Finally, to address your direct question to me...Which piece deserves more?

I think DC++ is a fantastic program, and I would have likely bought it if there were a price to pay. I often patronize authors for "shareware", even when the demo is fully functional and has no time-bomb. In the case of DC++, he isn't asking for money, and that's his choice.

I can think of quite a few other free P2P utilities out there that are also free, but I know of no other utility like the one I mentioned, to do what it does. Perhaps someone needs to write an open-source version of that utility, then there will be no discussion.

Phil

Marvin

Post by Marvin » 2003-05-16 14:50

FoxKat wrote:In the case of DC++, he isn't asking for money, and that's his choice.
Look at the Help menu (last line). You're not asked for money, but if you think Arne deserves money, feel free to pay :wink:.

mai9

Post by mai9 » 2003-05-18 19:54

FoxKat wrote:First, I never called you anything. I said either "Are you" or "If". In both cases, unless you met the criteria for those comments,
FoxKat previously wrote:you are a hipocrite.
I am not wasting any more time on this.

FoxKat wrote:They didn't also specify that any program written which utilizes their open-source, must also be free.
If you read again my posts, you'll see that I am not saying that is ilegal, but wrong.
FoxKat wrote:Now, if the "program" were simply a collection of open-source routines, simply banded together by some simple calls, then I would agree, and further state that to ask for payment of such duct tape would be hipocritical.
You really like the word, don't you?
FoxKat wrote:As for the "payramidal" selling system, this does not classify as a pyramid, since the "sellers" (better named referring users) can never recover more than their initial investment, and every one who is referred has the same opportunity to recover their investmets as well.
This is simply a referral system. Geez, even my cellular phone service (Verizon) offers a "referral fee" of $50.00 for each new user I refer, and there is NO LIMIT to the number of people I can refer. That is still not a pyramid, but is much closer.
It's not a pyramid? you sell to 10 people and each of them sell to 10 more. You don't see a pyramid here? what do you see a circle? :lol:
I went back to that site, and there's no place saying that you can only sell to 10 users. He says:
Make 10 referrals and your copy was free.
FoxKat wrote:Frankly, referrals are one of the most powerful and most widely used methods of marketing in the retail world.
Yes, and this program is about selling, not coding.
FoxKat wrote:In regard to the lack of mention for MDAC, DCOM98, VBR, and DirectX, I suppose he was assuming that most users would already have those platforms in place. I will mention it to him for inclusion in his instructions.
I am not saying he lacks to mention it. I wrote: After spending some time reading that site. The VBR and DirecX was a JOKE!! but I see you didn't get it...
FoxKat wrote:And regarding the broken links, and your "impression" did you ever hear the saying, "Don't judge a book by it's cover"? He even admits that he "threw" the site together, and apologizes for any mistakes. Give the guy a break, would ya?
And what about "judge a programmer by his skills" you heard about this? (that's another JOKE FoxKat!!!!)
FoxKat wrote:Perhaps someone needs to write an open-source version of that utility, then there will be no discussion.
Yes, no discussion and no money for that project either.

There's no way to promote open-source projects, if you only open your wallet for shareware.

What I say is: If you paid for UberStats, why not supporting with the same amount DC++?

mai9

Post by mai9 » 2003-05-18 20:47