2 requests

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

krueger00

2 requests

Post by krueger00 » 2003-04-22 17:41

i know this has been asked before in similar ways, but i urgently need a download speed limit! my roommate is going crazy because she can't even browse the web when dc++ is running at full speed. and micromanaging sources that i use approx. 2/3 to 3/4 of the bandwidth is a real pain in the a$$ and impossible if sources change frequently.

i don't care about an upload limit because with my asynchronuos connection upload anyway can't take away all bandwidth (except some protocol inefficiencies which reduce maximal download capacity by more than just the upload traffic.. but that's another topic...)

my second request is a small one:
the average speed calculator in the bottom right slots (D: xx.xx kB/S (y) || U: xx.xx kB/s (y) ) should use the same algorithm as the average speeds indicated when dc++ is minimized to the system tray. my download speed "bounces" between 20 and 80 kB/s, allthough maximum is around 50. however, the system tray speed shows a reasonably consistent average.
i've been trying to figure this out on my own, but C++ is not my favorite and best programming language. and VS6 is not at all my farorite developers environment ;)

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2003-04-22 19:23

For the first one, you might want to look at Settings --> Downloads and enter a value in the "Maximum download speed [etc]" box.

A value such as half your available bandwidth, perhaps.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-04-22 19:33

That's not actual download limiting though. It just means that if you type in 30kbps and you're downloading at that, no more downloads will start. But if you drop down to 25, a download will start.

Your only choice is to go with a DC++ modifictation that does limiting - DC++k and BCDC are two that do.

As for item 2, it's cosmetic. That's your instantaneous speed, more or less, updated every second. I think the tray tooltip uses the average speed.

krueger00

Post by krueger00 » 2003-04-23 15:25

TheParanoidOne: you gave me a shock with your answer. i suddenly
thought i had overseen an new feature in a new DC++ version. fortunatly
my question didn't turn out to be so embarrassing ;)

GargoyleMT:
well, some hubs don't like (upload-)limited clients. and because a
DOWNload limit doesn't harm the dc-community, it would be really nice
to have it in the main product. how good are the DC++k and BCDC
download limiters?

item - yep, cosmetics, but i always have to minimize the window to see
the real average. the "instantaneous speed" as you call it, can't be
right, because with 512down the speed can never exceed the theoretical
top of 64kByte/sec (that would be if there were no protocol overhead
(DC-, TCP- or UDP-, IP- and lower level stuff) and no interferences and
other traffic). however, sometimes it shows 80, even if i have only 1
thread running at 50.

anyhow, thanks for the answer :)

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-04-23 15:48

Well, I happen to think the mechanism they have is good. It's not good in the single case of one upload, but it works well enough for me. I didn't give the download code as thorough testing as the upload code, but it should work well. BCDC's limiting is less sloppy than the previous code it was based on - Alyandon's patches divided bandwidth rather poorly, so you could have 1 upload at 1kbps and another at 7 to make your total of 8. DC++k's previous limiting was a bit better, but you could still over-shoot your upload limit (but this is where I took inspiration from).

As far as the status bar goes, I like the socket speed the way it is, but I see that there's good reason to have average speed too. Maybe average could be in parenthesis and the "instant" not. The "instant" speed also spikes for me, occasionally beyond the speed limits of my connection, but it settles in on a sweet spot with upload limiting.