Several ideas:

Archived discussion about features (predating the use of Bugzilla as a bug and feature tracker)

Moderator: Moderators

LordAdmiral

Several ideas:

Post by LordAdmiral » 2003-01-13 15:22

Upload queues. Think IRC.

Break the status column into Status, Completed, Percent, and Speed.

Queue priority values affect download speeds.

In a rollback inconsistency, provide option to trim files (files will be trimmed only if the start of the file is the same).

Change downloading files without disconnecting.

"Grant extra slot" option on right-click menu of a connection.

Iceman[grrrr]
Forum Moderator

Re: Several ideas:

Post by Iceman[grrrr] » 2003-01-13 22:52

LordAdmiral wrote:Upload queues. Think IRC.
I believe people who want to download a full albim won't like it
LordAdmiral wrote:Break the status column into Status, Completed, Percent, and Speed.
In the download queue ? Well completed is kinda obsolete since completed files are deleted, unless you suggest they are kept untill manual deletion, which wouldn't be bad...
LordAdmiral wrote:Queue priority values affect download speeds.
How can you really do that ?? Slow the download with low priority ? How can the program know what is your max dl speed ?
LordAdmiral wrote:In a rollback inconsistency, provide option to trim files (files will be trimmed only if the start of the file is the same).
How can you know the start is the same ? Unless you use a hash method, you have to dl it again...
LordAdmiral wrote:Change downloading files without disconnecting.
Nice one already in the request tracker!
LordAdmiral wrote:"Grant extra slot" option on right-click menu of a connection.
Not bad, I don't think I saw it anywhere yet...

Well all in all, pretty good ideas, just need more time and people to help implement them! ;)
DC++ QoS Person

freestyler

Post by freestyler » 2003-01-14 11:10

Break the status column into Status, Completed, Percent, and Speed.
I reciently ditched NMDC and started using DC++. The only thing I miss form NMDC is that it had different colums for these items.

They are very useful as I sometimes want to order the files by download speed, percent completed or time remaining.

I think this is what he is reffering to, or at least is what I would like to see.

joazito

Re: Several ideas:

Post by joazito » 2003-01-14 14:47

LordAdmiral wrote:Queue priority values affect download speeds.
This would be nice. If it optional of course...
LordAdmiral wrote:In a rollback inconsistency, provide option to trim files (files will be trimmed only if the start of the file is the same).
Great Feature. I'm waiting for it.
The other features were nice too.

LordAdmiral

Post by LordAdmiral » 2003-01-15 00:06

Yeah, freestyler interpreted my somewhat vague idea properly. :) It just kinda peeves me that when I try to sort by status, it's first-come first-serve. And, it's easier to look through, especially when it comes to speed. Assuming 2 people have the same files I'm looking for, if one person was significantly faster than the other person (like 100k vs. 20k), I'd rather cancel one download when the other's done than download only one file from each person.

As for the download size vs. speed, I was thinking you could vary the read buffer based on the size.

I'm sorry about the queue thing; I wasn't too clear. It's not on a per-file basis, but on a per-user basis. Fileplanet uses queues for its ftp, and I think it's actually easier to manage than to DDoS their servers. DC++ automatically tries to connect, so it's not as much of a hassle, but I think people get a better sense of movement with a queue and an indicator of their position in the queue.

For the rollback, here's what I'm thinking: Once you connect to a user, see that the previous file is incorrect, you grab the first...200K or so of the file and check it with the first 200K of the file already downloaded (assuming large files, I mean, who really cares about rollback problems on small files). If they're the same, there's a pretty good chance of the files being the same. Then, request the download again (without breaking the connection), and this time, resume it, say, at -xKB increments, x being set by either the rollback number in the advanced tab of the settings or another value.

Oh, and one last thing, if it hasn't already been mentioned, you should force auto-open slots under a certain speed if you're going to implement partial downloads anytime soon (default would be...50K or so). I'd hate it if some slow guy took up a slot from all 2 people (each with 2 slots) who have the file I'm looking for. And sometimes, I am the slow guy myself, so no excuses there.

LinkSync

GOOD IDEAS!

Post by LinkSync » 2003-01-26 14:07

Nice to see some THINKING going on!
Those of us that are more concerned about serving issues appreciate good leech thinking as we understand u cant serve well unless u can leech well! :)
lol
I hope these get included!
So many of the good ideas I've seen posted seem to be more doable if the P2P path protocals where more useful and robust. Just need the client to handshake the hub on join and then each other client in the hub from then on. hub to delete users that "leave" after some time value (this to avoid constant add subtract for "bouncy user" having a bad connection to hub, they might have excellent connection to u!). hub would also add users when they join.
alot less overhead for the hub this way and many features would from then on be addable just at the client side, making the client alot more modern and powerful and upgradable in the future, without the need to re-write the hub.
Thereby providing compatability as well as standardisation while at the same time providing an open ended client that could be upgraded for a long time to come.
The posible improvements are mind boggling then.
TREEHOUSE.dns2go.com:411
[email protected]
Good Warez LINKS @ www.tree-house.info