help with the multi hub search in NMDC Hubsoft

Which hub software is the best? Where can I find script XXX? Discuss it here...(no, this is not for advertising your hub...)

Moderator: Moderators

dasonix2001

help with the multi hub search in NMDC Hubsoft

Post by dasonix2001 » 2003-02-13 11:23

i realise that i am probably a total prat for not being able to get this to work but it dont.

so pls Help.

both hubs r set up correctly to each other IP's and same ports, and passwords r the same but then arnt active

any ideas ppl

TIA

dasonix

powerup25

Please somebody help us

Post by powerup25 » 2003-02-14 15:29

Hi, i have the same problem too, i really really need a multihub search for our net. The option Search Network on NMDCH seems not work, the bot pass and all the pass are the same in all net, the port is the same to, the addreess is typical like address1.no-ip.comand so, but still don't work. So what we can do?. I was looking for several days to find out a multihub-search script but i can not find it, if someone knows a link to an script like this, please, please, post the link, or an email or whatever could help us.
Pleaseeeeeeeeee :(
Byesss

ButterflySoul

Post by ButterflySoul » 2003-02-14 16:16

Are both hubs behind a firewall / a router / in passive mode / etc ?

2 passive clients can't search/download from each other, but the same is true for 2 passive hubs.
Could you give us a few details on the connection ? =)
[CoZ] Children of Zeus
-----
Shadows DC Hub - VBS and JS scripting at their best

TasMan

Post by TasMan » 2003-02-14 17:01

Passive hub? Eh? Aren't all hubs in active? (Active means you are a server and can accept incoming connections...passive means that you can only connect to a server)

I don't think that DC++ uses multihub search (well the NMDC kind)...try using NMDC in ACTIVE MODE (with Multi-hub search checked).

dasonix2000

Post by dasonix2000 » 2003-02-14 21:03

I have tryed all that, I have even added the other hub Ip as a trusted Ip so all traffic from it passes through the fire wall, and both hubs r in active mode.

but still no joy

i know that dc++ dont support MHS but it would be nice fot the poor nmdc users out there.

any more ideas would be great.

but thanks for the input.

ButterflySoul

Post by ButterflySoul » 2003-02-15 03:13

Passive hub? Eh? Aren't all hubs in active? (Active means you are a server and can accept incoming connections...passive means that you can only connect to a server)
Oh, ok =) My bad then *blush* I never tested it but I figured a hub might run pretty ok if you run it behind a router, but don't setup any port forwarding in the routing tables.
A client does anyway, the only thing is that you end up in "passive" mode; not neccesarly in the client's config options, but if you keep the client setup in active, you will be able to connect to hubs and chat around, yet not search or download user files.
I thought the same was true for hubs, but obviously the issue is more complex =)
any more ideas would be great.
When you make a multi hub search, you should see a $MultiSearch line in the status window of the NMDC hub software. When you do so, do other hubs on the network show a $search string with the same criterias in their own status window ?
(i.e. is it the search request not making it to the other hubs, or the search results not being sent back ?)
[CoZ] Children of Zeus
-----

powerup25

Post by powerup25 » 2003-02-15 09:34

Hi again
To butterfly --> First Post
Yes, one of the hubs are behind a firewall --> zonealarm pro, the hub works perfectly well, so it can accept incoming and upcoming connections. The other hub is behind nothing, works ok too. Connection type: DSL for both. Client in use--> 70% of DC++ and 30% of NMDC. You can see both clients working in passive and in active mode. Files used to search very commoms.
To tasman-->DC++ can't do a multihub search?. Bad, Bad news. NMDC were testing in active and passive mode, multihub search checked, still don't work.
To Butterfly--> Second Post
I can see $MultiSearch or $search string in the status windows of the hub, yes. In NMDC nothing happends!!!??? The search don't return nothing!!! the search results not being sent back!!!, only an empty window!!!!. Don't work at all!!??. The rest of the feature of NMDC work fine?. DC++ works fine. Multi hub search still don't work.

One question: Can somebody make a multihub-search script using--> $MultiSearch, $search strings, IP address, ports and botpass or searchnetwork pass?. Assuming that we have to install the same scripts in all hubs or something like that. I don't hope you will answer this question. i've been not lucky with people when i have made a script request :( Normally nobody anwers to say at least: you are crazy man, that's imposible... I think all my scripts request are not possible, because i don't know nothing about script programming
Well, thats all, thanks for people on this forum for the quick replies ;)
Bye

TasMan

Post by TasMan » 2003-02-15 10:08

well it would be easy for DC++ to do a NMDC multi hub search, but I'm fairly sure it doesn't...in most cases it's a waste of bandwidth.

Try removing ZoneAlarm...seems a lot of DC++ users have problems with it when running dc. It needs to be uninstalled. If it doesn't work, you can always install it again.

Only active clients can do multi hub searches (notice the format is $MultiSearch ip:port), so there isn't really much of a point testing in active...

I'm not sure if the script would be possible...you need to use UDP with the hub, which you can't get the arriving data from...only send.

ButterflySoul

Post by ButterflySoul » 2003-02-15 11:38

I can see $MultiSearch or $search string in the status windows of the hub, yes
You said hub as a singular, not a plural, so just in case, I'll reformulate the question with an example. Hope you won't feel offended or anything :

Let's say your hub is Hub1, and your friend's hub is the Hub2.

If you make a serach for the file "multi test" you should get the following line in the status window of your own hub (Hub1) :

Code: Select all

$MultiSearch x:y F?T?0?1?multi$test
with x being your client's IP, and y being your client's port
According to your post, this happens. Good.

My question was :
1) Does the status window of Hub2 show the following line :

$Search x:y F?T?0?1?multi$test
2) Vice versa, when someone in Hub2 makes that search, do you see the $Search x:y F?T?0?1?multi$test line in your own hub (Hub1), with x being the IP of the client in Hub2 that made the search and y being its port ?

You will need to work together with the owner of Hub2 to do the test, so you can both check the status windows at the same time.

-----
Can somebody make a multihub-search script using--> $MultiSearch, $search strings, IP address, ports and botpass or searchnetwork pass?
If you simply want a script that connects to one (or more) hubs and forwards a search the clients of your hub, it's pretty easy to do (it might be a bit time consuming to write and especially test, but apparently it doesn't come with big technical problems). All you need to do is open a TCP socket, give the pass, the search string, and disconnect. From there you can let the hub and the clients hopefully handle the rest of the work. You can't do that using exclusively visual basic scripting, but it's not horribly complicated to work with a DLL handling the TCP communication.
If you have such a script working, you can even add a chat command to manually make the multi hub search, if you'd like (in case you have some clients that aren't able to do multi-searching with the client itself).

If what you want is a script that does all this, but also handles the search results (in case the hub and clients, for some reason, do not) then it is much more complicated because, as TasMan pointed it out, search results are sent in UDP, not TCP.
It's not impossible to find DLLs that work in UDP, neither to find people able to work with those DLLs... but your chances to find both for free are pretty slim because it's a pain in the <insert body part where it hurts> =)
Furthermore, sending the request is basically done in text mode, and that part of the DC protocol has been documented for ages, tested milion times, and is easy to find. Analysing an UDP stream of search results is not. So even if you had the skills (or someone with those skills), you'd still be in for a rough trip, endless nights of coding, and a long love story with your favorite coffee machine (happy valentine =)
[CoZ] Children of Zeus
-----

powerup25

Post by powerup25 » 2003-02-15 12:53

Let's say your hub is Hub1, and your friend's hub is the Hub2.
-->Correct

$MultiSearch x:y F?T?0?1?multi$test
According to your post, this happens. Good.
--> Correct

My question was :
1) Does the status window of Hub2 show the following line :

$Search x:y F?T?0?1?multi$test
--> Hub2--> No, the multisearch seems not reach to hub2

2) Vice versa, when someone in Hub2 makes that search, do you see the $Search x:y F?T?0?1?multi$test line in your own hub (Hub1), with x being the IP of the client in Hub2 that made the search and y being its port ?
-->Not tested yet, we are waiting for multisearch from hub1 to hub2 work. All our probe starts in Hub1, if hub1 can't do a multisearch into hub2, we don't resolve our problem.

You will need to work together with the owner of Hub2 to do the test, so you can both check the status windows at the same time.
Nothing happends in hub2.

If you simply want a script that connects to one (or more) hubs and forwards a search the clients of your hub.....
Yes i want it, my problem is i don't know nothing about vbscript, someone (this is the real hard part ) has to make it for people who need it. Anyone pleaseeee?.
What do you mean with ....from there you can let the hub and the clients hopefully handle the rest of the work?. Did you mean that the result of the search wil be show in the client in any way?.
Byess.

powerup25

Post by powerup25 » 2003-02-15 13:03

TasMan wrote:Try removing ZoneAlarm...seems a lot of DC++ users have problems with it when running dc. It needs to be uninstalled. If it doesn't work, you can always install it again.
I going to probe it

Only active clients can do multi hub searches (notice the format is $MultiSearch ip:port), so there isn't really much of a point testing in active... ---> It DOES NOT matter to us

I'm not sure if the script would be possible...you need to use UDP with the hub, which you can't get the arriving data from...only send.
Thanks to aswer ;)

ButterflySoul

Post by ButterflySoul » 2003-02-15 15:23

What do you mean with ....from there you can let the hub and the clients hopefully handle the rest of the work?. Did you mean that the result of the search wil be show in the client in any way?.
An active search is answered directly by the client, without passing by the hub, using directly the IP address and port number included in the $search string.
i.e. if your client has a file searched for by another client, it will use a client<->client connection to answer... so even if the hub<->hub part doesn't work, as long as the $search string somehow ends up in Hub2, and is received by the clients in Hub2, they will send search results to the client that made the search, no matter which hub that client is connected to.

A passive search works a bit differently, as the clients send the result to the hub (with an $SR string), then the hub forwards those results to the nickname that made the search.

If you'd like to know more about all the $ commands of the dc protocol, have a look at the protocol specs established by Suxxx in december 2001. Even if you don't know how to script, it should give you an idea of how things work inside your hub =)
There's also a more recent document by David Marwood, the dev of Shasta Hub, which covers only the client->server part of the protocol, but is explained in depth, and much more enjoyable to read =)

-----

On another note, while re-reading the Suxxx specifications, I noticed that «direct connect uses UDP for server to server communication».
I never tested ZoneAlarm (according to some posts on these boards, it seems to be a good thing) but in case you can open TCP and UDP seperately, make sure you have both of them opened on the port 411 (or whichever port you are running the hub on). If only TCP is opened, clients can connect to Hub1, chat, PM, even make searches, but Hub1 won't be able to babble with other hubs, so that might be the problem too.
That is, unless you settle for uninstalling ZoneAlarm alltogether.

Even if that's not the problem, no panic though. You can connect to Hub2 with a script, and send a $search string using TCP, so all is not lost.
But it would be better to use the built-in function of the hub, and I'm pretty curious myself about why it doesn't work for you =)

Also, if you're running Windows XP, be aware that it has a built-in firewall, and eventhough you apparently have the TCP opened on the port of your hub, make sure UDP is as well.

-----
-->Not tested yet, we are waiting for multisearch from hub1 to hub2 work. All our probe starts in Hub1, if hub1 can't do a multisearch into hub2, we don't resolve our problem.
The idea was that if it's blocked somewhere (in the windows XP firewall, in the Zonealarm firewall, in another software, etc), having Hub2 attempting to connect to you but being blocked by some software should generate a log entry in said software, maybe even a "ding" and popup on your computer, or a polite "connection refused by xxx software" in the status window of the other hub, or maybe a hint that would make it easier to figure out why the multihub searches don't work on your hub. It probably won't happen, but if it does, it will point out the problem and save a lot of time. Firewalls are always happy to let you know how great they are and how they protected you from that evil intruder that tried to .... search your hub =p
[CoZ] Children of Zeus
-----