DC Linux/Unix Hub Software??

Which hub software is the best? Where can I find script XXX? Discuss it here...(no, this is not for advertising your hub...)

Moderator: Moderators

OLDoMiNiON

DC Linux/Unix Hub Software??

Post by OLDoMiNiON » 2003-02-11 16:53

i know of open dc hub, but it seems very unstable, and uses one thread for each user! (arghhh!!) :-S

what are my other option, and are they any good??

thanx
Chris

ender

Post by ender » 2003-02-11 17:09

1. what's wrong with 1 thread/user? Apache uses 1 thread per connection, too - that's usual in the *nix world. The hub I'm developing (currently for Windows, but I intend to port it to linux) uses 1 thread per user, too.

2. there's also DCTC hub, at least version 0.1.2 is stable, CCG 3 (anime hub with 700 users limit) has been running it for a long time now

3. OpenDCD has a linux version, too. not sure how (un)stable it is though...

OLDoMiNiON

Post by OLDoMiNiON » 2003-02-11 17:30

sorry, i was talking about opendcd.. my bad!

however 1 thread per user puts a lot of strain on the processor i should think.. or so i've been told!

however the *real* open dc hub that were now looking at seems very nice! Does anyone have any experience using this hub s/w, and could you tell me it's strengths/weakness' and where to find any improved versions etc etc?

thanx again! (please excuse my [rare] ignorance, hehe)
Chris

ender

Post by ender » 2003-02-11 18:03

You can read why does OpenDCD work the way it does here... It's the normal way *nix servers work...

OLDoMiNiON

Post by OLDoMiNiON » 2003-02-11 18:40

k, i don't understand most of that stuff atm mate :) thanx anyway, it was a good read!

sandos

Post by sandos » 2003-02-12 01:20

One thread per user shouldnt be a real problem, if done correctly, but non-blocking (using one thread) will probably be more effective when the load is huge. (compare thttpd to apache)

Neimad

Post by Neimad » 2003-02-12 07:55

It really goes on a few things;

First one is the server setup... multi-processor systems cope much better with multi-threaded applications.

However, the problem with the multi-threaded approach and a DC hub server is that 90% of the activity is relaying messages to the other connected clients. This means that the bulk of the time is spent switching between the different thread contexts.

I'm no expert on this, but I have done various tests and have seen that a single-threaded setup is indeed the more efficient route for a DC hub server. I believe Nev has also done some testing in this area and come to the same conclusion, as he was the one that reassured me when I was first exploring the different methods.

Neimad

OLDoMiNiON

Post by OLDoMiNiON » 2003-02-14 10:11

we've now been running Open dc hub for a few days now, and it seems fine appart from a few minor bugs...

however i've seen a few hubs using "Linux Direct Connect Hub"... does anyone know what s/w this is and where to get it?

thanx
Chris

sandos

Post by sandos » 2003-02-15 04:42

I think thats dctc, not sure.

Dj_Offset

Post by Dj_Offset » 2003-03-10 15:01

ender wrote:1. what's wrong with 1 thread/user? Apache uses 1 thread per connection, too - that's usual in the *nix world. The hub I'm developing (currently for Windows, but I intend to port it to linux) uses 1 thread per user, too.
On Linux a thread is a lightweight process.
Each process gets a default of 1ms to execute between context switches on Linux with the current stable (vanilla) kernel (unless you do a sched_yield() or block for IO).

A scalable Hub should take ~1000 user nowadays. Which means 1000 threads would lead to really bad overall performance on a busy server, and the "ping latency" for the hub would be way high. Worst case scenario is very bad!

Opendchub is the best hub I've found on Unix. It uses select() and spawns multiple processess for each 500 users (default, but configurable). I've tested it with ~600 "fake" (perl script) users on a p200/32mb and it ran without problems.

The ONLY good reason for using a 1 thread for 1 user aproach is
that it's easier to code.

(Btw: Apache 1.x uses processes, while Apache 2.x uses threads and performs better...)
I wrote QuickDC - A DC++ compatible client for Linux and FreeBSD.

sandos

Post by sandos » 2003-03-10 16:07

Dj_Offset wrote:Opendchub is the best hub I've found on Unix. It uses select() and spawns multiple processess for each 500 users (default, but configurable). I've tested it with ~600 "fake" (perl script) users on a p200/32mb and it ran without problems.
Why does it do this? I know theres a limit on select() with regard to number of sockets, but is there any other reason to split it up? Besides, there is poll() which is pretty much the same except that 1) poll can take any number of sockets 2) it transfers slightly more data and is therefore slightly slower. Done simply because of speed?

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2003-03-10 16:24

i would go for a select-approach... i have always liked select, and yes as sandos express there is a problem with select with regard to number of sockets, but it can surley be solved fairly easy with some queueing, timeout and other things (will not go into details)..

programming-is-like-maintaining-a-relationship-and-haveing-many-relationships-forces-you-to-use-many-looks-on-your-door-if-each-girlfriend-has-a-key-to-your-appartment-ly'ers ,))
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.

Dj_Offset

Post by Dj_Offset » 2003-03-10 16:52

sandos wrote:
Dj_Offset wrote:Opendchub is the best hub I've found on Unix. It uses select() and spawns multiple processess for each 500 users (default, but configurable). I've tested it with ~600 "fake" (perl script) users on a p200/32mb and it ran without problems.
Why does it do this? I know theres a limit on select() with regard to number of sockets, but is there any other reason to split it up? Besides, there is poll() which is pretty much the same except that 1) poll can take any number of sockets 2) it transfers slightly more data and is therefore slightly slower. Done simply because of speed?
Poll() is not implemented on all platforms, thus select() is more portable.
From the poll man-page:

"The poll() systemcall was introduced in Linux 2.1.23. The poll() library call was introduced in libc 5.4.28 (and provides emu-lation using select if your kernel does not have a poll syscall)."

So you can use poll() if you use the GNU libc.

Why does it split up into threads of 500 users per select()? I would guess to improve server latency.

Btw, Linux 2.6/3.0 (whatever it is going to be) will have a new epoll() which is supposed to be much more efficient and faster.
I wrote QuickDC - A DC++ compatible client for Linux and FreeBSD.

sandos

Post by sandos » 2003-03-11 05:32

Dj_Offset wrote:Btw, Linux 2.6/3.0 (whatever it is going to be) will have a new epoll() which is supposed to be much more efficient and faster.
Yeah, I know. Must say Im very surprised linux didnt have any better poll-interface. It seems that Freebsd has a nice interface: kqueue/kevent:

http://www.kegel.com/dkftpbench/Poller_bench.html

ivulfusbar

Post by ivulfusbar » 2003-03-11 06:22

well, select doesn't work on all OSs also.. specialy not on certain filedescriptors... but then this might not be an issue beacuse we mostly will listen to sockets ;))
Everyone is supposed to download from the hubs, - I don´t know why, but I never do anymore.