One step help, please

Which hub software is the best? Where can I find script XXX? Discuss it here...(no, this is not for advertising your hub...)

Moderator: Moderators

MP3Bre

One step help, please

Post by MP3Bre » 2004-01-07 11:19

First, sorry because my english is too bad.
I think i'm very close to finish my hub.
When i write manual connect adress my hub will be open, but on public hubs list no my hub name. Do you know where i was wrong? Thanks!

adresse: serbianzone.dynip.com
Port: 1490
I have Shadows Direct Connection Hub 0,03

BSOD2600
Forum Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 » 2004-01-07 18:45

Do you have your hub setup to register with the various hublists? Is your firewall allowing Shadowhub to talk to the hublists?

ButterflySoul

Post by ButterflySoul » 2004-01-09 11:19

You should also note that SDCH allows serving on multiple ports. So if you simply added 1490 at the end of the default ports, you will end up with that setting being "1411;411;1490"
This in itself, is perfectly fine, even if only 1490 is opened on your router/firewall. The hub will be serving on 1411, 411 and 1490 simultaneously, and while the 2 first ports will in fact be blocked, people will be able to enter the hub via the 1490 port.

You should however note that because registration servers managing hublists don't expect hubs to serve on multiple simultaneous ports, SDCH only gives 1 port when registering itself on hublists. That port is the first port in your list (so in the example above it would be port 1411). To ensure that hublist registration works properly, you should therefore make sure that the first port in the list is opened and working (or the hublists pingers won't be able to connect to your hub and will consider your hub as being down/closed, and eventually remove you from the hublist).

For your case, the recommended value for "listening ports" would be: 1490;411
This will register you on hublists with the port 1490, and people behind coporate/uni firewalls will be able to enter your hub (since 411 is now a "known P2P" port, it is blocked by more and more of these firewalls, and nowadays, 411 alone won't give you access to as many users as other ports above the 1200 range, which makes your choice for 1490 as primary port a very good choice).
If you specify port 411 as the secondary port, this will allow your "old" user base to still continue connecting to your hub via 411, in case they have it bookmarked that way in their favorites. It's still a good idea to ask them to update their favorites, but until they all do, it can be helpful to continue serving on 411 for a bit.

Finally, you should also note that the NeoModus list is known to only give an extract of all the hubs registered with it. Each extract is published by picking random hubs among the complete list. Because hubs at published on the extract 100% at random each time (rather than each in turn), you could be in luck and be included as early as the next publication after you started your hub (meaning roughly the same day), but you could also be completely unlucky and not be included in the list for weeks.
If you want to check that your hub did properly register on hublists, it is recommended you double check on one of the other 4 lists on which SDCH registers you by default. Hublist.org being fully searchable and offering the option to check offline hubs as well, it is the recomended you start there, because even if something went wrong, your hub will still be included on the website as offline. From looking at its record, you should be able to figure out what went wrong (usualy it's the port).
[CoZ] Children of Zeus
-----
Shadows DC Hub - VBS and JS scripting at their best