A quick question about hosting...

Which hub software is the best? Where can I find script XXX? Discuss it here...(no, this is not for advertising your hub...)

Moderator: Moderators

FunkyFender55

A quick question about hosting...

Post by FunkyFender55 » 2003-11-23 16:04

I'm the host of a private hub. Does anyone know how to set it so that all the users are redirected to another hub when my hub goes down?

TheNOP

Post by TheNOP » 2003-11-23 16:32

manually changing your addy IP to the new host IP.
doing it auto...?, not possible without a way to let the new host know that it must change the IP of your addy.
TheNOP

Have you read the FAQ?
Or the sticky ? It might give you idea.

ButterflySoul

Post by ButterflySoul » 2003-11-24 02:29

Essentially, what the NOP said is right. If your hub is down, you can't redirect them via scripting or anything, since there's no hub there to connect to (and be redirected from) in the first place.

However, there are 2 main 100% automated solutions available :

1) Instead of having a basic dns service (like the free service from no-ip), you can find a dns service that checks if the IP it solves out to is alive (i.e. instead of blindly solving myhub.no-ip.com as the last IP it knows for that domain, say 111.222.333.444, it pings the IP 111.222.333.444 every 5 minutes to check if it's still up, and if it isn't, it temporarly solves myhub.no-ip.com to one or more backup addresses instead).
Of course, that's not a free service anymore. It's how these people make their money (offer a good quality free service, and if customers need more, hope they'll stay with you =)

2) If your own hub/connection has a tendancy to go down pretty often, but you know someone else who has a nice and sturdy connection, you can have them setup a redirect hub which essentially provides the same end result as a paying service from a dns company. Every now and then, have a script ping your computer's IP : if your computer is up, continue redirecting there, if it's down redirect somewhere else instead.
Of course, if the redirect hub is down, you're back to square 1... Or worse, if it comes down but your own hub is up, people won't be able to connect to you eventhough they could have with your current setup.
It's also not as nice and clean as the first solution, since no matter what, people get redirected each time, even when your hub is up. It all depends what you're looking for. If it's an inexpensive way to cover issues with your own connection that you are aware of, this is the solution for you. If you're looking for something clean & professional, and cost isn't an issue, go for the first solution instead, and start surfing around for some comparison shopping =)
[CoZ] Children of Zeus
-----
Shadows DC Hub - VBS and JS scripting at their best