running a hub

Which hub software is the best? Where can I find script XXX? Discuss it here...(no, this is not for advertising your hub...)

Moderator: Moderators

howto

running a hub

Post by howto » 2003-11-15 15:55

ok i have seen and used DC ++
but what i want to do is run my own hub (yea im a newbie)

where do i get the software to do this?
do i need a website to run a hub?
im on a 512k cable is this too small to run a hub?
must i leave my machne on all the time to run a hub?

i did read FAQ but didnt find the answers there
can anyone hlep

Gasman1015

Post by Gasman1015 » 2003-11-15 19:30

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

ButterflySoul

Post by ButterflySoul » 2003-11-15 19:58

where do i get the software to do this?
Depends on which hub software you want to run... That probably leads to the next question "which hub software should I run ?".. The answer really depends on you, and what you want to do with the hub once it's running. For example, if you know a little about programing, and if at some point, you want to write your own scripts for the hub, the first step is to pick a hub software that runs scripts in whichever language you know =) Some hub softwares run with Visual Basic Script and JScript (javascript's little brother) scripts, some run with c++ scripts, some with pascal scripts, some with perl scripts, some with LUA scripts, etc etc. Some also don't support scripting at all (so if you planned tu run a trivia bot to entertain your users, avoid hub softwares without scripting support).

Also, if you are already familiar with scripts, and there are some you really want to have on your hub, you might want to consider doing things "backwards" (i.e. check the language that the script was written in, then consider your options among the hub softwares supporting that specific scripting language).

You'll find more info about what makes each hub software different (and where to download them) on this excelent FAQ :
http://www.broadbandreports.com/faq/dc?r=683
(check the section 7 and 7.1 )

do i need a website to run a hub?
No, you don't =) It's still of some help if want to run forums, or publish announcements on the website, since everything that's served by the website (even a free hosted website) doesn't need to be served by your hub, so you'll have more bandwidth available for what's really important, instead of serving your users PMs that are 4 pages long.

im on a 512k cable is this too small to run a hub?
Not at all. It's probably even a tad above the average, actually =)

must i leave my machine on all the time to run a hub?
If you want your hub to be up all the time, then yes. That said, you could very well consider teaming up with someone and having each of you run the hub in alternance, if leaving the computer running 24/7 is an issue for you. To have the hub up all the time, there needs to be a computer running it all the time, but it doesn't mean it has to be the same computer year long =)
[CoZ] Children of Zeus
-----
Shadows DC Hub - VBS and JS scripting at their best