No slots available when getting filelist

Which hub software is the best? Where can I find script XXX? Discuss it here...(no, this is not for advertising your hub...)

Moderator: Moderators

MrCrowley

No slots available when getting filelist

Post by MrCrowley » 2003-09-12 07:58

I haven't long been running a hub and what i want to know is what are all the possible reasons that a user wouldn't have slots available when you are trying to download their list? starting with the most likely.

I think i have a good few idea's why it happens but i need to be clear about it. I want to run a fair hub and not ban innocent users.
Thanx and sorry if this was asked b4.
[DeathNap] Your Entrance To Hells Domain... [url]dchub://doom-metal.deathnap.com[/url]
Metalheads only and movies. 2gb/2 slots min.

Lightning Man

Post by Lightning Man » 2003-09-12 09:12

Their slots are being used by others, either in your hub or in another hub to which they are connected at the same time.

MrCrowley

Post by MrCrowley » 2003-09-12 09:40

Lightning Man wrote:Their slots are being used by others, either in your hub or in another hub to which they are connected at the same time.
Is that all the possible reasons? I thought DC++ always opened extra slots for sending filelists (and certain other clients)??

I've been under the impression that many of these users are slotlocking or trying to hide their fake shares.
Please help... i need more info.
[DeathNap] Your Entrance To Hells Domain... [url]dchub://doom-metal.deathnap.com[/url]

TheParanoidOne
Forum Moderator

Post by TheParanoidOne » 2003-09-12 09:46

DC++ has 3 mini-slots that it will use for files under a certain size (16KB IIRC). If the file list is larger than this, then it uses a standard slot.

There is always the possibility that the users are faking and/or slotblocking. But there is also the possibility that they may just be out of slots at the moment. The best thing to do would be to ask them for a slot so you can get their list. I've seen a number of hubs where one of the rules is "If an OP asks you for a slot, give him one". You could implement something like that.
The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

DC++ Guide | Words

MrCrowley

Post by MrCrowley » 2003-09-12 10:00

TheParanoidOne wrote:"If an OP asks you for a slot, give him one". You could implement something like that.
I do already have that rule... but a problem is users don't always respond to your message, i have actually been banning many users because i was sure they where faking or slotlocking :shock:

If i could make a suggestion for DC++ it should always open at least 1 extra slot for sending file lists no matter how big that list is.

Sedulus
Forum Moderator

Post by Sedulus » 2003-09-12 10:01

TheParanoidOne wrote:DC++ has 3 mini-slots that it will use for files under a certain size (16KB IIRC). If the file list is larger than this, then it uses a standard slot.
filelists and small files (16kB yes) are considered small files, and will use a minislot (unless the user has free slots).
and... OPs are always granted a minislot

so if you can't get a list or small file from a user when you're an OP, the user is not using (an unmodified) DC++
http://dc.selwerd.nl/hublist.xml.bz2
http://www.b.ali.btinternet.co.uk/DCPlusPlus/index.html (TheParanoidOne's DC++ Guide)
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/dc (BSOD2600's Direct Connect FAQ)

MrCrowley

Post by MrCrowley » 2003-09-12 10:07

Sedulus wrote:OPs are always granted a minislot
ahh this is what i wanted to hear... of course i am Op on my own hub ;)

So i can be sure those users that don't give a slot are: using a modified dc++ (which could be faking or slotlocking) or using some other client that won't give a slot to an op. Right?

Perhaps there is more i should know?

Twink

Post by Twink » 2003-09-12 19:49

MrCrowley wrote:
Sedulus wrote:OPs are always granted a minislot
ahh this is what i wanted to hear... of course i am Op on my own hub ;)

So i can be sure those users that don't give a slot are: using a modified dc++ (which could be faking or slotlocking) or using some other client that won't give a slot to an op. Right?

Perhaps there is more i should know?
are you sure they're using dc++, there are alot of other clients out there they could be using, which dont have the minislot features

MrCrowley

Post by MrCrowley » 2003-09-13 09:52

Twink wrote:are you sure they're using dc++, there are alot of other clients out there they could be using, which dont have the minislot features
Yes i realize this and i want to filter those clients.

The latest nmdc has minislots and DCGUI to my knowledge (that just about covers all os's) and both show tag information hubs slots etc.

I want to filter all other clients because i see no real reason the client shouldn't be able to give an op a slot for file checking, they either need a updated client or they are just plain faking/slot locking/hiding tag and i don't want to build a hub that my friends connect to while they get leeched by these fakers.

If i have said anything wrong please correct me. I came here looking for information and to conform my beliefs, i started by asking for all the possible reasons a user might not have a slot available when you are trying to get there file list because i don't want to kick users unfairly. And while information given so far has been usefull it hasn't really answered all my questions.

MrCrowley

Post by MrCrowley » 2003-09-13 09:58

Where the damn edit button??

I should have said i want to filter all clients that don't give a slot to an op for file checking purposes.

GargoyleMT
DC++ Contributor

Post by GargoyleMT » 2003-09-14 14:48

MrCrowley wrote:The latest nmdc has minislots and DCGUI to my knowledge (that just about covers all os's) and both show tag information hubs slots etc.
So it does.

Download Latest Client