Stopping excessive searching on NMDC hubserver

Which hub software is the best? Where can I find script XXX? Discuss it here...(no, this is not for advertising your hub...)

Moderator: Moderators

CapnStem

Stopping excessive searching on NMDC hubserver

Post by CapnStem » 2003-01-29 20:43

Hi

At times, our hubserver suffers from severe chat lag. Perhaps the 3.7gig uploaded from the hub server in 1day and 23 hours has something to do with it. A check with search spy (along with the frequent Search spam messages) leaves me to suspect that users are hammering too many searches at the hub server.

Is there a way to script a search flush, and to stop searches from actually taking place (when users search too quickly). I have a sample script that kicks a user after too much searching, but after some testing found that the search was still taking place (perhaps it explains why the script kicks the user). Anyway, I am not interested in kicking users. Most of the users in our hub use CSV to collect by (because of additional tools made available), so a majority of us just download people's filelist and use the CSV tools to add extra sources (not to mention a very good custom modified DC++ for our hub with in built CSV features). Its the other users that do the search hammering that ruin it for us.

Anyway, we have way too many features in our hub, and as a result, we have a large hub script which means we gotta try to fix this with a scripted solution (not unless there is a hub server out there that uses VB Script and COM with an inbuilt search delay).

Well, thanx for listening to my rant - hope someone has got a sample. TIA

Sid

An Idea

Post by Sid » 2003-01-30 22:24

:idea: Well i have had the same problem as you but the result was not chat lag, it was a pissed off Sid that was trying to debug. I came up with a theary for a sloution.

Use a script that has a collection of all the peeple that have searched and how many times. if the user searches more than lets say 5 times in 5 min temp ban there ass for searching too much. after 5 min if they have not hit the set search limit remove them from the collection. also remove them if you tempbaned them. This was mainly for the glo search abUsers who search for the most common files threw glo boging down all the hubs. adjust the time and search limit that you feel would be approprate.

As far as blocking the search there is no way that im aware of... you may try sending back a few million $SR commands to them try and crash there client but other than that the only way to stop it would be to dump them out of the hub.

Hope this helps.
Sid

[email protected]
http://www.1stleg.com
[url=dcHub://Greed.1stleg.com]dcHub://Greed.1stleg.com[/url]

CapnStem

Post by CapnStem » 2003-02-01 04:29

I have also found out that during a filelist refresh, search spam can also be generated. We r lucky enuf to a great programmer in our hub, and he has mod'd DC++ to stop searching during filelist refresh. Usually happens when you share heaps of files (eg: > 300,000)

Has worked a treat. I should get him to send the source to Arne. In the meantime, I will think about adding the kick script for search spammers.