connect to hub through router

Which hub software is the best? Where can I find script XXX? Discuss it here...(no, this is not for advertising your hub...)

Moderator: Moderators

CyberPhobia

connect to hub through router

Post by CyberPhobia » 2003-06-26 11:06

not sure if this a good place to post this!

ive got 2 comps connected to a router, one is runnin a hub and the other one is runnin DC++, im able to connect to the hub internally since my router wont allow me to connect over the net

what im tryin to do is be able to get people's shares while connected internally, something that doesnt happen at the moment

does anyone know how to set this up if it is at all possible?

do i just redirect ports in order for this to work or not? im a completely new to networks and routers!!!

any and all help appreciated, TIA
of all the things ive lost, i miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

dchub://cyberphobia.no-ip.info

ButterflySoul

Post by ButterflySoul » 2003-06-26 12:18

my router wont allow me to connect over the net
(...)
get people's shares while connected internally, something that doesnt happen at the moment
A hub acts as a list / directory of users. However, file transfers happen directly from one client to another, and don't transit by the hub. It's the whole idea of the "Peer to Peer" concept =)
If you can't connect over the net, you can't download filelists (or any files) from people on the net. You can connect to your hub internally and chat around with them though, send them PMs, etc, because everything else does transit via the hub. Only file transfers happen from client to client.
does anyone know how to set this up if it is at all possible?

do i just redirect ports in order for this to work or not?
According to your post, it seems you have your hub working and people successfully connecting to it, and you managed to setup your router properly to redirect traffic for the port 411 to your "hub" computer.
All you need to do is redo the exact same thing and redirect another port to your "dc++" computer. In DC++, you'll have to go in the "settings" / "general" and enter that other port in the "port" box, and your router's IP (you can check it on http://www.myip.dk/ if you're not sure) in the "IP" box; and you'll be all set =)
[CoZ] Children of Zeus
-----
Shadows DC Hub - VBS and JS scripting at their best

CyberPhobia

Post by CyberPhobia » 2003-06-26 12:40

you mean the router IP or my ADSL IP in the setting's box, at the moment ive got ADSL IP? i have got got my DC++ port in the redirect

i can connect to other hubs, people can download from me, but i cant download from them (internal or external), i cant search a hub

yeah people can connect to my hub

HaArD

Post by HaArD » 2003-06-26 19:54

Searching requires UDP packets while everything else is strictly TCP. Make sure both kinds of traffic are being routed to you DC++ computer.

ButterflySoul

Post by ButterflySoul » 2003-06-26 21:33

you mean the router IP or my ADSL IP
The IP from your router, as seen from the "outside" (meaning as seen by computers that are on the net). Essentially, that would be the same IP as your hub, since both your computers are behind the same router. It's also the same IP as your own IP as seen from the "outside".
Say your hub computer is running on phobia.no-ip.com, you could do a ping phobia.no-ip.com, and get an IP as a result. In theory, it will be the exact same IP as the one given by http://www.myip.dk/ That's the one you need to use.

When your computer is behind a router, it's the router that will be getting all the traffic. Not directly your computer. The router's job is to re-route the traffic further, part of it to your hub computer, and the other part to your dc computer... But the address where your DC packets will arrive is the address of your router, not directly the "internal"/local address of your DC computer. That's why you need to put the router's IP in your DC++ settings =)
[CoZ] Children of Zeus
-----

cyberal

Post by cyberal » 2003-06-27 02:36

are you sure this is even possible?

even if you open the correct ports you can't connect to your own external ip can you? Should the router send packets to itself? Same this if you have an ftp running on your LAN and at the same time router to the internet. You must connect to iy with the internal ip. Not the external, not possible I belive.

Have you tried connecting to your hub internally in passive mode and writing your external ip in settings.. in theory, this should make the remote client connect to you correctly right? However, the hub might disconnect you on search cause he belives you are using the wrong ip.
http://whyrar.omfg.se - Guide to RAR and DC behaviour!
http://bodstrom.omfg.se - Bodströmsamhället, Länksamling om hoten mot vår personliga integritet

ButterflySoul

Post by ButterflySoul » 2003-06-27 05:44

are you sure this is even possible?
It's not only possible, but it's also the only way it will work.
even if you open the correct ports you can't connect to your own external ip can you?
As long as your hub is setup properly, it is completely irrelevant. You can perfectly connect to your own hub using it's external IP or even an external DNS, such as those served by no-ip.com. As long as the router re-routes the traffic on the right ports, you can have your client use one port to connect to the router, have the router connect to the net to solve the DNS, the DNS point back to the router, and the router re-route the connection (on another port) to a local computer on your LAN running the hub. This works fine whether the computer running the hub and the computer running the client are the same or 2 different computers on the same LAN.
If you have a router, you can test this easily. Download any hub software, open (and route) a port for the hub and a port for your client, and it will work just fine.
Should the router send packets to itself?
No, the router should send the packets to the local IP of the computer running the client. That's not a problem for CyberPhobia as he/she already managed to setup their hub properly on another computer of the same LAN, behind the same router.
All that is needed is to redo the exact same thing for the computer running the client, as I mentioned in my post(s), and the DC++ client will work just as fine as their hub already does.
And, once again, because it is the router who will receive the packets, it's the external IP that needs to be mentioned in the active mode settings of DC++. Eventhough it's not the actual final destination of the packets, it is still the address where you want other clients to send their packets to you (as well as the address where your packets will originate; from those client's perspective).
[CoZ] Children of Zeus
-----

HaArD

Post by HaArD » 2003-06-27 06:20

It's all possible, in fact, it is exactly how I am set up, I connect to a No-IP address that points to my IP which routes to this PC. I do it that way so I know when no-ip is down....

You WILL have problems with ACTIVE searches on your hub because the IP's are different, it's easy to fix though, run this script in your hub.

Code: Select all

'Hub owner active search script by FRANKE aka [DK]FRANKE 
'Version 0.00123 Build 12.4 Beta Alfa release 5 
'January 19, 2003 01:04:25 

'This script enables hubowners to do a active search on lan ! 
'For this script to work, you have to make the "right" settings 
'in your DC client, all the script does is forward the search string. 

'PS: it works !   :] 

'Thanks To HaArD for bringing my attention to this problem :) 

Dim strName 

Sub Main() 
  strName = "ThisIsYourExactNameOnTheHub" 
End Sub 

Sub DataArival(curUser, sCurData) 
  If Left(sCurData, 7) = "$Search" And Left(sCurData, 11) <> "$Search Hub" then 
     If curUser.sName = strName then 
        For Each User in ColUsers 
           User.SendData CStr(sCurData) 
        Next 
     End If 
  End If 
End Sub 

'No copyright, no GNU, no nothing 

CyberPhobia

Post by CyberPhobia » 2003-06-27 06:21

yeah i can connect to my hub but not through the external IP, i can connect to it through the internal IP

ive got ports 411 - 412 routed to comp 2 (hub comp) 192.xxx.x.3
ive got port 5040 routed to comp 1 (client comp) 192.xxx.x.2

Index State Protocol Internet Local
Start Port End Port Local IP Address
1 enabled TCP 411 412 192.xxx.0.3
2 enabled UDP 411 412 192.xxx.0.3
3 enabled UDP 5040 5040 192.xxx.x.2
4 enabled TCP 5040 5040 192.xxx.x.2

currently firewall is on, but i might turn it off til i get this goin, it wasnt on when i first originally posted

CyberPhobia

Post by CyberPhobia » 2003-06-27 06:41

maybe this will help a little bit

click me