I want to set up a hub on a .edu network

Which hub software is the best? Where can I find script XXX? Discuss it here...(no, this is not for advertising your hub...)

Moderator: Moderators

Lackluster

I want to set up a hub on a .edu network

Post by Lackluster » 2003-06-23 13:41

I want to setup a hub at my .edu.

My .edu gets really upset when you transfer outside of the school's private network. So, to not upset the school and promote sharing, someone on our campus setup a DC hub that most of the campus was using during school year. But that person left for the summer, and now we have no hub.

Therefore I want to start a new hub for the network. I have d/l both DC Hub Server and Ptokax, and I am running Ptokax. I think I have the hub registered on Dreamland (I'm not sure because when I check http://dreamland.gotdns.org/PublicHubList.config.bz2, I only find two hubs and their names are all screwy looking, e.g. #)($&@!(__)#_)$#).

Either way, I only want people from my .edu to be able to join the hub (people with IP address 128.111.xxx.xxx). And I want the hub to respond to people searching for the "Hub Address:" ucsbfiles.ath.cx.

Any information you can give me set this up properly would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Charalambos

Post by Charalambos » 2003-06-23 18:07

I suggest you to search the forum for related topics.
There have been several discussions about how to set up a hub.

You will very likely find the infos you require.
If you got problems that have not yet been answered, we will try our best to help you.

Good luck. 8)
There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is in having lots to do and not doing it.
-Mary Wilson Little

Lackluster

[b][color=blue]UCSB[/color][/b]'s Hub is back!

Post by Lackluster » 2003-06-24 14:20

UCSB's Hub is back:

@ address: ucsbfiles.no-ip.com

Atleast from 06/23/2003 till 08/02/2003. After that the school boots me out of my apartment.

So join up, start sharing, and enjoy!!

P.S. I should have this hub also running during the 2003-2004 school year. If I don't, it means I've been kicked out of school. YEAH!!

Lackluster

Post by Lackluster » 2003-06-24 15:06

Also, if anyone else has the name problem I described above, all you need to do is register a free DNS with http://www.no-ip.com.