Getting removed from a public hub list

Which hub software is the best? Where can I find script XXX? Discuss it here...(no, this is not for advertising your hub...)

Moderator: Moderators

yakko

Post by yakko » 2003-03-31 15:47

how do i get my hub off these lists?

ButterflySoul

Post by ButterflySoul » 2003-03-31 17:00

how do i get my hub off these lists?
Most of these list sync every now and then with the NMDC list (http://www.neo-modus.com/PublicHubList.config). The Neo list only displays a few hubs at a time, and displays them randomly each update (not in turn, one group after another, but 100% randomly so being included depends a lot on luck).

Once they got you from the neo list, most of these hublists ping you to check if your hub is still alive or if you should be removed from the list.

Alternatively, you can also end up on them if you register directly with them, instead of the default registeration server (the vandel405.dynip.com)

Ok, that's how you end up on them. Now if you want to be removed, the first step is to stop registering with the public neomodus hub list, since it's where the other list start typically start checking hubs from (uncheck the "auto-register" option in your hub's software).
Then you also have to fail the checks to see if your hub is still there. Either run your hub on a different port for a bit, either ban the pingers.

Last but not least.. wait =) Little by little, no one will know about your hub anymore, it will disapear from every last hublist in the galaxy and chances are you won't have any users in it either. I'm not sure why you'd want to do it, but that's how it's done.
[CoZ] Children of Zeus
-----
Shadows DC Hub - VBS and JS scripting at their best

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » 2003-03-31 19:27

There could be a reason, CoZ... :D a private hub that - by accident - has been public for a few hours/days... I've seen it a few times too :lol: and the owners always scramble get it off again when they find out. Not really a problem if its properly passworded and all that.

ButterflySoul

Post by ButterflySoul » 2003-03-31 21:40

*ponders* Ok, in case you want to run a private hub, forget my post above and just check the lill "only allow registered users" checkbox and no unregistered user will be able to connect (no matter if you're on hublists or not; it's never too late to check it). It would make more sense than trying to get the hub's info off the hublists while having your actual hub opened to everyone =p
[CoZ] Children of Zeus
-----
Shadows DC Hub - VBS and JS scripting at their best

Sid

Post by Sid » 2003-06-10 03:38

you cant technicaly but you need to run them on two different ports and you probably wont be able to register at the same reg server cause of time limits per ip but it is posible
Sid

[email protected]
http://www.1stleg.com
[url=dcHub://Greed.1stleg.com]dcHub://Greed.1stleg.com[/url]

Madras

Post by Madras » 2003-06-10 17:14

thanks a lot, useful as hell :):D
<-- Make More Gargoyles -->