lanparty hub ?

Which hub software is the best? Where can I find script XXX? Discuss it here...(no, this is not for advertising your hub...)

Moderator: Moderators

merti

lanparty hub ?

Post by merti » 2003-06-09 07:21

Hi i am completly new in the dc network. I visited a lanparty last weekend and they ran a dc server. It rocked the lanparty. No more FTP server scanning anymore. they shared about 2 TB.

Now my question:

What do i need to run a dc server on a lanparty with about 500-800 users ?
what hardware requirements a server has?, are there different server versions?, how much network traffic a server make?, is one nic enough or do i need more nics? is more than one nic supported ?

sarf

Post by sarf » 2003-06-09 09:09

The hardware requirements are quite low for a LAN-party, since you do not need much scripts (I assume that you do not want to enforce any share limits). I'd guess that a Pentium-II 400 MHz would do the trick quite nicely, since all the hub does (if scripting is disabled) is shuffling network data. Come to think of it, if you use a linux-hub (or at least are not using NM DC Hub) you will probably not need more than a Pentium-133... I think. It should not be necessary, but that's just my opinion. Oh, and try to get as many people as possible to use Active mode - that way the hub will not be overloaded with passive search results.

Only one NIC is needed. There are different server versions and programs - search the forums for examples. The network traffic is hard to estimate, but if we assume that every users does three searches every minute and that every search is about 250 characters, and assumes that every user sends 250 bytes to the chat, we end up with a up/downstream of about one kilobyte / user / minute which is really quite acceptable (IMHO).

I would recommend to use a stand-alone server for the hub, though (mainly since it can use such a low-end machine).

Hope this helps.

Sarf
---
He who lives without folly is less wise than he believes.

merti

Post by merti » 2003-06-09 15:22

thx a lot that is all that i need. All my questions are clear now.

Thx Merti