how to set up a hub for my LAN

Which hub software is the best? Where can I find script XXX? Discuss it here...(no, this is not for advertising your hub...)

Moderator: Moderators

therealdeal

how to set up a hub for my LAN

Post by therealdeal » 2003-06-03 22:02

How can I set up a hub so only the computers on my Lan can access it?

Charalambos

Post by Charalambos » 2003-06-04 03:43

Use the search function.

There are several topics about how to create a hub.

To use it only on your lan, it should be possible to set somehow in the hub software to accept only your internal ips and block all others
(it's only an assumption, but i think this should be implemented in hub clients).
There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is in having lots to do and not doing it.
-Mary Wilson Little

ButterflySoul

Post by ButterflySoul » 2003-06-04 04:04

so only the computers on my Lan can access it?
Easy. Ban your router, or block it with a firewall. That should cut out external traffic, and keep only LAN traffic flowing =)
-that is, unless you have a very small "LAN" of only 2 or 3 computers and everything pluged directly in the router, without any hub/switch dedicated to local traffic-
[CoZ] Children of Zeus
-----
Shadows DC Hub - VBS and JS scripting at their best

Charalambos

Post by Charalambos » 2003-06-04 04:08

ButterflySoul wrote:Easy. Ban your router, or block it with a firewall. That should cut out external traffic, and keep only LAN traffic flowing =)
But then you have the problem that it really blocks ALL external traffic, even those ips that are desired.
Like that, nothing works anymore.
Then you could just unplug your internet connection. Same effect.
There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is in having lots to do and not doing it.
-Mary Wilson Little

Grushenko

Post by Grushenko » 2003-06-05 19:41

If you don't map any port to let the hub going out, nobody outside can connect

In the other PC's of your LAN, you should write as target adress the internal IP of the computer that runs the hub software.( i need to do this, even with port 411 mapped to the hub's PC)

ButterflySoul

Post by ButterflySoul » 2003-06-06 12:02

But then you have the problem that it really blocks ALL external traffic
Ooops. Sorry... For a second, I thought your original question was to make your hub accessible only via internal traffic from your LAN. :wink:
[CoZ] Children of Zeus
-----
Shadows DC Hub - VBS and JS scripting at their best