How did he find my hub??

Which hub software is the best? Where can I find script XXX? Discuss it here...(no, this is not for advertising your hub...)

Moderator: Moderators

Pailin

How did he find my hub??

Post by Pailin » 2003-05-30 19:51

I was careful NOT to leave "auto register" ticked at any point, I've told 2 people about my hub (over phone), who've not passed word, hub has been up for about 5 hours, yet...

a number of people have tried to connect to it according to the Status Messages window ($validateNick *******) :?

(used Direct Connect hub from neo-modus.com)

How are they finding it?

Paul_Don

Post by Paul_Don » 2003-05-30 20:27

it probably did register

ButterflySoul

Post by ButterflySoul » 2003-05-30 22:09

How are they finding it?
A while ago when running a test hub to develop scripts, I noticed the NMDC hub doesn't always respect your wishes of "not auto-registering". It sends a registration string out there anyway, shortly after the hub started. You can see it in the status window, it's probably going to be the first message appearing there, after you started serving.
I'm not sure if it continues doing it after that "startup registration", but it always sends at least one reg string.

Aside from that "I'm going to tell Hess there's a new hub in town" attitude of the nmdc hub, you have plenty of other reasons why you might get users. The "Jorge Bot" for example runs along with a port scanner/tester, and will add you to his list of hubs, if you have 411 opened when it tests you (crazy the programs you can run when you have an university's bandwidth all yours over the week-end).

If you really want your hub to be private, you need to "allow only registered users" (which you are probably already doing, since you mentioned some $ValidateNick from the status window, and not actual unwanted users in your hub).

The only way to make things more efficient is -assuming than you setup the hub only to be used by you and your 2 friends- to have a script ban "." when a new user connects and the total number of users is 3 =)
That way, the connection requests for everyone else will be rejected much earlier than the $validatenick and should save you some bandwidth (don't forget to add a little timer to check every now and there if there's still 3 users, or if the dot ban should be removed)
[CoZ] Children of Zeus
-----
Shadows DC Hub - VBS and JS scripting at their best

Pailin

Post by Pailin » 2003-05-31 04:55

Cheers for yet another informative post ButterflySoul, great to see someone putting so much effort into this forum 8)

Quite ironic really, seeing as others post complaining about lack of visitors who were told it may take as much as a month or so if unlucky to get on a list, there I was after about 5 hours with 5 attempted connections already and a steady flow since :shock: (your right, set to "Only Allow Registered Users")

The hub software seems VERY sensitive to bandwidth restrictions!! causing "server resets" for connected users - take it only solution is to set up on external server with no bandwidth problems or can I extend the time b4 a server reset is caused?

Should be just a nice little private hub of about 10 users or so between friends :)

Paul_Don

Post by Paul_Don » 2003-05-31 09:53

a hub with 10 users wont take up bugger all abndwidth u could run that on 56k no problem if u really worried bout your hub registerin get the PtokaX hub software and delete the registration add then it definately wont register nowhere :)

Pailin

Post by Pailin » 2003-05-31 10:36

Cool, might try the PtokaX, seen it about on some of the hubs I use... :)

I know the hub itself take up almost no bandwidth, but if other apps (DC++) are taking up the available bandwidth/slowing the response times the DC hub software resets the connections of people connected to my hub a little too regularly :(

It seems quite sensitive to this...

My con is only 512/128, till Autumn when the 1024/256 service is made avaiable :)

Paul_Don

Post by Paul_Don » 2003-05-31 11:14

i have 1024/256 and i run a hub with nearlly 200 users and share it doesnt make any significant impact there might be a bit of lag here and there but never get connection reset
or no one has ever told me in the year of running it :S