"share" a hub with 2 or 3 users

Which hub software is the best? Where can I find script XXX? Discuss it here...(no, this is not for advertising your hub...)

Moderator: Moderators

maui

"share" a hub with 2 or 3 users

Post by maui » 2003-05-14 14:04

I'd like to create a hub but I want it to work even if I'm not connected. So I think to "share" the hub with some other users or to have 2 or 3 owners.
Is it possible?
How?

I hope you'll understand me well, my english is not really good.

thanks

Ju

TMM

Post by TMM » 2003-05-14 14:20

u can either join a network, or get a dns ie hub.no-ip.com

then have a mate install a hub, and set his addy as same as yours, then what u do is, when ya gona go down.... change the ip for your dns

takes about 10 mins to update then all users will be going to were ever the ip is, (mates backup hub)

then you can redirect all the users to your address, but they will go to the backup instead.

then when ya get back put ya hub on, change ip on ya dns and wait till its live, then have backup hub send back the users.

hope this helps
ashes to ashes, dust to dust, if the dope dont get you. The acid must

Paul_Don

Post by Paul_Don » 2003-05-14 17:43

the best thing to do as dc++ wont redirect to the same address and most people dont follow redirects anyway is to change the dns to your mates computer once its workin after liek 10 minutes
jsut close down the hub on your computer then the users client will try reconnect to thesame address then connect to your mates computer
thats the best way to do it

digitalfaction

Post by digitalfaction » 2003-05-15 10:43

www.dyndns.org

its free and its instant update, no pissing around with 10 minute intervals, I did have a system in place myself and a well though out one for the group I host for as a way of making an automatic back up, but you have the problem of other people, theyre reluctant to use someone elses address which makes it easier which is what happened in my case, each HUB owner wanted their own DNS and making a single entry point was difficult.

for a dns updater tool, i recomend the dyndns2.0beta by kana soloution, is able to detect your correct ip if your ISP runs proxy servers like mine does.
"I am like any other man. All I do is supply a demand. -- Al Capone (1899-1947), U.S. Gangster "