NMDC source code

Which hub software is the best? Where can I find script XXX? Discuss it here...(no, this is not for advertising your hub...)

Moderator: Moderators

Phantom

NMDC source code

Post by Phantom » 2003-05-08 00:12

Hi
I know nmdc isn't open source, but is the code available anywhere?

Thanks

ButterflySoul

Post by ButterflySoul » 2003-05-08 01:32

At best, what you can get in nice proper english with a decompiler is the name of the forms used and the properties of all the controls. you can't magically generate a "source code" that you can open, read and modify in a VB Editor (at least not to my knowledge).
You can also get a lot of other info, but it's not going to be lines of nice VB code; rather calls to functions and other things that probably won't mean much to you unless you're into that kind of stuff.

The only way to get some kind of code that you can actually look at, would be for it to be open source.

That said, if you're interested in the source code of a hub (in general), to see how they work, eventually make your own, it doesn't have to specifically be the NMDC Hub, and you'll find a few alternative hub softwares that are functional and open source.
[CoZ] Children of Zeus
-----
Shadows DC Hub - VBS and JS scripting at their best

Phantom

Post by Phantom » 2003-05-08 16:25

Yeah thats what I thought.
As far as I know, a VB6 decompiler doesn't exist anyway, so thats the decompiling option gone, and as for capturing all the calls and stuff for a program, it doesn't really give you code, just the order in which it runs.
I am planning on making my own hub software eventually, but this won't be for a while yet.
Your hub software looks promising. I have looked at other open source software, and so far, none of them work well enough yet. The reason I want the NMDC source is because it seems to be the most stable, works with all my vb scripts i've written, and is designed for windows based systems.
With regard to your shadowdc hub software, will existing VB scripts be fully compatible with it?

TasMan

Post by TasMan » 2003-05-08 16:41

Not exactly.....they aren't though mostly because I hate spelling mistakes, and some features (such as multi-hub search) are now redundant.

I would say though that most scripts (aside from admin ones - they would need more) would need only 1 to 5% worth of changes. Also since some features are built into the hub, some things might be removed (however I don't count that)
Shadows Direct Connect Hub - Taking away the light from NMDCH, leaving only shadows.....

HaArD

Post by HaArD » 2003-05-08 21:29

Tasman is being modest....

I've converted 2 large and one medium script so far.

Step 1 run through the supplied converter...
Step 2 tweak a bit.

Done

One of them required no changes after the converter it just worked...

As more scripts get converted the documentation for doing it will improve... but it's pretty easy already...

HaArD

TasMan

Post by TasMan » 2003-05-10 12:18

Being modest is a good thing :)

Especially with the next version, because there are quite a few changes, most of which require changes in admin scripts only however. But as usual, there are classes provided which do the work for you, so it isn't THAT bad.
Shadows Direct Connect Hub - Taking away the light from NMDCH, leaving only shadows.....