Nick ban not workin'

Which hub software is the best? Where can I find script XXX? Discuss it here...(no, this is not for advertising your hub...)

Moderator: Moderators

minerzero

Nick ban not workin'

Post by minerzero » 2003-04-28 01:39

A problem I've confronted during last few days: Some smarta$$ users seem to have found a way to bypass nick ban. They just come in w/ their old nick (after their dyn IP has changed...) although their nick is banned. Anyone have any ideas, apart from one (or some...) of my trusted OPs being an even bigger a$$hole and letting them in deliberately? Haven't found a bug in bot code, that part is 1:1 copy of known to work scripts.

Paul_Don

Post by Paul_Don » 2003-04-28 02:23

i had that problem but it jsut suddenly worked after a while
jsut get brutal and ban there whole damn ip range for those really irrantent bastards :)

ButterflySoul

Post by ButterflySoul » 2003-04-28 03:26

Well, the idea of nick bans is precisely to avoid having to ban a whole provider to get rid of someone... or you soon end up with most common providers banned, and barely anyone in your hub...

As for fixing the name ban... maybe you should start telling us which script you're using to nameban them, and maybe post a lill itty bit of code if you'd like people to have a look at it and fix it ?
The only obvious/easy case of someone coming back with the same nick eventhough it's banned and assuming the script is working as it should, is if the script is case sensitive, and they use a caps variation of their nick to come back and bypass the name check (this can be avoided easily by giving every name a lill LCase before adding them to the nameban table, and then checking if LCase(<user object>.sName) is in it).

If it's more complicated than that, we'll need a bit of code here, to help you =)
[CoZ] Children of Zeus
-----
Shadows DC Hub - VBS and JS scripting at their best

Marvin

Post by Marvin » 2003-05-01 01:42

If the case sensitive fix doesn't work, try to check for special characters.