Auto-reconnect not working now

Which hub software is the best? Where can I find script XXX? Discuss it here...(no, this is not for advertising your hub...)

Moderator: Moderators

Nick-V

Auto-reconnect not working now

Post by Nick-V » 2003-04-19 11:26

Help...going mad here in setting up a Neo-Modus hub. I hope someone can provide more information or describe the cause and a solution. I've already searched this forum and elsewhere.

THE EFFECT OF THE PROBLEM:
When I restart the hub my users used to reconnect automatically - now they have to reconnect manually.

FACTS AND OBSERVATIONS:
1) I cannot definately say when this problem started but it may be related to the installation of the Aphrodite script (registered user admin) or running DCHub as a service.

2) In Aphrodite, I have tried commenting out the NewUserConnected and OpConnected commands and have tried the hub without this script. Manual connection still required so it appears it is not the script.

3) I have tried running DCHub as a program and as a service and manual connection is still required. However, I observe that closing the program results in the DC++ message DISCONNECTED whereas stopping the service results in CONNECTION RESET BY SERVER. Does DC++ try to reconnect after both of these events?

4) The server setup is W2K with NAT running and ZoneAlarm (I know but it worked with this before!). As an asside, is it possible to force the hub to use the WAN IP instead of the LAN IP?

Please let me know if I can provide more info to get this solved.

ButterflySoul

Post by ButterflySoul » 2003-04-19 13:10

You didn't mention it in your post, so just in case : the common thing people forget when installing a new hub from scratch and running DC++ as their client is that the hub needs some of the libraries installed by the NeoModus client =)
So even if never plan on using it or even launching it (the client), you still need to install it in order to run the hub.

Don't hesitate to post again if that wasn't your problem, but this is the #1 reason for very unusual behaviors of the hub =)
[CoZ] Children of Zeus
-----
Shadows DC Hub - VBS and JS scripting at their best

Nick-V

Post by Nick-V » 2003-04-19 19:39

Thanks but the Neo-Modus client is installed. Indeed it all worked a few days ago. but just recently, clients need to reconnect manually after a restart of the hub.

ButterflySoul

Post by ButterflySoul » 2003-04-20 08:35

Ok, according to my personal experience, the "disconected" message means that you were disconected by the hub and that it wasn't a "network accident" (i.e. you have been disconected by an OP, the hub stoped running, the host crashed, etc).

"Connection reset by server" on the other hand usualy happens if you (or the hub) looses the connection for a a bit. You'll then end up with a "connection reset by server" because you need to log back in the hub.

DC++ tries to automatically reconnect in both those cases. The only case where I've seen it not automatically try, is when you get a "nick was already taken" message. For a few versions now it waits for you to manually reconnect.

Did you try to launch the hub without aphrodite ? Not as a final solution to your problem, just as a temporary thing for like 5 minutes, to see if it fixes the problem ?
[CoZ] Children of Zeus
-----

Sedulus
Forum Moderator

Post by Sedulus » 2003-04-20 10:26

ButterflySoul wrote:The only case where I've seen it not automatically try, is when you get a "nick was already taken" message.
and since a couple of new versions, it also stop reconnecting when it recieves "..... banned ...." before it has completed the login sequence
(the <Hub-Security> Your ASS is banned (or something) message usually is sent immediately instead of $Lock)
http://dc.selwerd.nl/hublist.xml.bz2
http://www.b.ali.btinternet.co.uk/DCPlusPlus/index.html (TheParanoidOne's DC++ Guide)
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/dc (BSOD2600's Direct Connect FAQ)

Nick-V

Post by Nick-V » 2003-04-20 10:38

Thanks for your helpful comments.

If you are right that reconnection attempts occur after both DISCONNECTED and CONNECTION RESET BY SERVER I will be able to ignore this difference.

I have already tried to run the Hub with absolutely no scripts and still get the same inability to reconnect although it did work fine until a couple of days ago.

I am certain "....banned..." is not an issue in this case.

Clients that fail to reconnect automatically are not receiving the "nick was already taken" message. DC++ simply reads Disconnected and there is nothing further.

And I've also tried without ZoneAlarm and various other approaches.

All too damn strange!

Marvin

Post by Marvin » 2003-04-20 16:29

Does this affect every (recent) version of DC++ ?

Nick-V

Post by Nick-V » 2003-04-20 18:03

The problem is fixed and was probably my fault. I had to make minor fixes in the Aphrodite script and obviously caused it to stop users reconnecting automatically. I'm a little confused as reconnection didn't appear to work even when I disabled the script but maybe I was tired!

The script seems to work OK but, for the benefit of others, I'll mention certain matters you might want to consider:

Some bot messages could be improved.

There are lower/upper case issues with usernames - logon works but certain other functions do not when user "Fred" logs on as "fred".

The registered users only function saves in the Aphrodite database but does not appear to change DCHub.

For information, I don't know what the actual problem was, but a subtle clue was the lack of logon greeting to the user depending on their status (REG, ADMIN, etc.). Look out for this if you have problems too - there were no VB errors apparent.

Thanks for the help guys.

ButterflySoul

Post by ButterflySoul » 2003-04-20 22:00

(the <Hub-Security> Your ASS is banned (or something) message usually is sent immediately instead of $Lock)
Actually, the original NMDC send a very nice and polite "Your IP is banned". The version you mentioned is a popular message resulting from the combined use of hubmods and subtle neo-american language nuances (yo yo, my hub l00ks so kewl; etc).

-----
There are lower/upper case issues with usernames - logon works but certain other functions do not when user "Fred" logs on as "fred".
The NMDC hub logon is not not case sensitive, however Aphrodite treats usernames as case sensitive *nods*
You can fix this by applying a LCase function to both username variables in the logon functions of the script (i.e. to the name recovered from the database by aphrodite, and to the curUser.sName property of the user object that the hub sent to your Sub). That way, FreD trying to login will match a Fred record in the database.

-----
The registered users only function saves in the Aphrodite database but does not appear to change DCHub.
Aphrodite adds its registered users to the hub when you create new ones via the script, however, already exisiting users must be re-added / imported. Also, if you manually register someone in the hub, directly from the hub software, Aphrodite won't touch the already exisiting record in the hub software. You need to delete them first from the hub software's reg list, then re-add them via aphrodite (or keep them in the hub software and launch aphrodite's import utility. Knoton imlicitely mentions all this in the howto of Aphrodite :
«Important: Any previous added operators/reg users that are not imported by AphroditeDatabaseSettings.exe must be deleted and added again with Aphrodite to gain access to the OP/Admin features.»
[CoZ] Children of Zeus
-----

Nick-V

Post by Nick-V » 2003-04-21 08:20

Thanks for your reply.

My script messages have been edited and improved !

I'll definately look into your lcase idea. Wish I'd known it in the first place. I guess I just need to checkout where to add it, correct existing passwords in DCHub and inform the affected users.

I deleted all users from the hub before using Aphrodite so I should be OK there.

Nick-V

Post by Nick-V » 2003-04-21 08:22

BTW, in my point about the "registered users only option". I meant that this option is not saved properly to DCHub. The command is #REGUSERSONLY;0/1.